Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 06:36 PM

Default Barrel swivel or beaded chain swivel for ice fishing

Does anyone use either swivels ice fishing, supposed to help/prevent line twist and ultimately help catch more fish. I have never used them, am I missing out??
Old 11-22-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribolovac View Post
Does anyone use either swivels ice fishing, supposed to help/prevent line twist and ultimately help catch more fish. I have never used them, am I missing out??
Yup. Works well for perch that hate lure spin. Maybe you should try.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 11-22-2020, 07:26 PM

I use ball bearing swivels between heavy mono or braid to lighter mono to the hook. most hooks jigged up and down go in one circle twisting the line then spin the other way when held still. tough to finesse when the hook continually moves.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:29 PM

I use a barrel swivel on most of my setups. My go to lures for most species tend to introduce line twist. Also, the barrel swivel makes it a piece of cake out on the ice to tie on a new length of fluoro if I feel my leader is becoming too short. The only issue is when the whites go for the swivel instead of the lure...
Old 11-22-2020, 09:48 PM

I use the barrel swivel but that's mostly because I can never remember how to tie the knot for joining two pieces of line
Old 11-24-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I use the barrel swivel but that's mostly because I can never remember how to tie the knot for joining two pieces of line
I can't believe, as a fisherman, you admitted that.

Fishermen are liars.

It would have been better to make up some clever reason like "the swivel attracts perch" or something like that instead of admitting you can't remember to tie a knot.

Clearly you chose not to lie here ........... which tells me you are not suitable to be a fisherman !!!!!! How are you going to tell us about the big one that got away????

I use a barrel swivel when joining one type of line to another - to prevent line twist - not because I would ever admit that I suck at tying that not ....... that's my story. I'm sticking to it.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:43 PM

I like the chain on the Hali lures . Perch do too
Old 11-25-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I can't believe, as a fisherman, you admitted that.

Fishermen are liars.

It would have been better to make up some clever reason like "the swivel attracts perch" or something like that instead of admitting you can't remember to tie a knot.

Clearly you chose not to lie here ........... which tells me you are not suitable to be a fisherman !!!!!! How are you going to tell us about the big one that got away????

I use a barrel swivel when joining one type of line to another - to prevent line twist - not because I would ever admit that I suck at tying that not ....... that's my story. I'm sticking to it.
Always been a terrible liar.... This is about as close as I get.