Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Thats what the tag system is. lol
No it is not. The tag system is a bull**** money grab to achieve the exact same thing that could be done by just allowing a small daily limit without the BS.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Are you on glue? Like I said, we had zero issue catching them, they were ALL too big. This was like 9 or 10 years ago. no doubt the age structure is different now. Anyone we talked to all had the exact same tags as she did and no one could find one small enough. they gave out a **** load of tags for an age structure that wasn't in the lake.
10 years ago!! I see you haven't got over your ordeal yet.

Did you try to return them to the Fishing Hole? "Hey man, these tags are defective! I want my money back. They didn't catch the size they said they would on the tag."

Last edited by SNAPFisher; 03-25-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
No it is not. The tag system is a bull**** money grab to achieve the exact same thing that could be done by just allowing a small daily limit without the BS.
For the stupid argument that it’s a “money grab” in 2017 roughly looking at it there were 15k applicants if 40% of people were drawn and assuming everyone who were drawn bought their tags it adds up to a whopping $100k.

You can’t allow a smaller limit than 1. Most lakes in this province not all that long ago had a limit of 1 for Walleye and more recently Pike has also been reduced to 1 in many lakes. The lakes still collapsed. Tags are one way to allow controlled harvest while allowing lakes to recover and stay sustainable.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
years ago the wife had class c tags for pigeon. We caught well over 100 walleye the weekend we camped there. 0 of those were small enough. Left a bitter taste in my mouth. I think they gave out like 10000 of those tags that year. Those stupid bastards new the size demographics in the lake and it was nothing short of a money grab. The tag system needs to be abolished in favour of limited numbers in a slot size.
Buddies and I filled 9 class C tags on Pigeon the past 2 weekends fishing only 2 days. Easily could have filled 9 more. Caught A’s and B’s also. Fish were all very plump, healthy, and tasty. Seems like the population is starting to balance out.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:16 PM

Thanks Penner for a voice of reason.

I was doing math on the tags as well. My understanding is that it covers the expenses to run it. I cannot believe how some members on here continually call it a money grab when the evidence is right there that it is not.

Btw, as MuleCrazy posted, that was 10 years ago trying to fill class Cs. Of course you would have had to guess that anyways since there was zero about this in his original post. Still, if someone hates the tags from one experience 10 years ago, good luck fishing at all! At least in AB
Old 03-26-2019, 04:13 PM

I don't know if the "tag system" is the ultimate solution but I have not heard of any alternatives that make much logical sense.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:19 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
What a joke the choices are this year.

Pinehurst class B only !

Last year 2 of us had class B
It took us 3 days and well over a hundred walleye caught to fill our tags, they were all to big !
The class A fish in Pinehurst have to out number the Class B by at least 10 : 1

No wonder there are so many poachers around.

This system sucks !

I'm sure there are other lakes choices similar.

Head over to besnard lake in saskabush....walleye heaven....awesome shore lunches too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-26-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I don't know if the "tag system" is the ultimate solution but I have not heard of any alternatives that make much logical sense.
Yep, I sure would prefer not to have a draw or a tag to put on fish. But it is here to stay.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:18 PM

Default Numbers

Where do you find the number of tags given out per lake? BEL
Old 03-26-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
For the stupid argument that it’s a “money grab” in 2017 roughly looking at it there were 15k applicants if 40% of people were drawn and assuming everyone who were drawn bought their tags it adds up to a whopping $100k.

You can’t allow a smaller limit than 1. Most lakes in this province not all that long ago had a limit of 1 for Walleye and more recently Pike has also been reduced to 1 in many lakes. The lakes still collapsed. Tags are one way a to allow controlled harvest while allowing lakes to recover and stay sustainable.
a hundred grand to have fish cops hiding in the bushes trying to keep everyone on the straight and narrow never mind implementation of the tag system? How many million did that cost for some tags scribbled with a magic marker that don't stick together plus all the research that justified this system in the first place. ? I would like to see the numbers on the money wasted to protect a fish that does more harm than good and doesn't even belong in many of these lakes in the first place. They need to swallow their pride and call it a total failure instead of continuing to protect a population of fish that aren't reproducing because they don't belong and that's how mother nature rolls, until they die of old age at the expense of the fish that were displaced and by catch victims of the walleye fad.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
a hundred grand to have fish cops hiding in the bushes trying to keep everyone on the straight and narrow never mind implementation of the tag system? How many million did that cost for some tags scribbled with a magic marker that don't stick together plus all the research that justified this system in the first place. ? I would like to see the numbers on the money wasted to protect a fish that does more harm than good and doesn't even belong in many of these lakes in the first place. They need to swallow their pride and call it a total failure instead of continuing to protect a population of fish that aren't reproducing because they don't belong and that's how mother nature rolls, until they die of old age at the expense of the fish that were displaced and by catch victims of the walleye fad.
What little goes into law enforcement to keep what little we have in our lakes if they turned that funds into replenishing the lakes without no law enforcement well you would have about a year of rape the lakes and then have nothing because of people being disrespectful and can't properly govern thier actions as a general public.....gotta look well past your nose to do what's best in the long run.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Wow, you are all over the place.

Enforcement is enforcement. Those costs exist regardless of the tag system. If anything the tags would make it a bit more obvious and "easier"...maybe even thus cheaper, for the F&W officer to determine poaching. By the way, I actually had a F&W officer jump out of the bushes at a boat launch and then check us. That was at a non-tag lake so your comments don't even add up there.

Who says walleye are not reproducing? Pigeon Lake? Can you name one to clarify?

That is your opinion it is a total failure. It certainly isn't mine.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:59 PM

At the end of the day as long as there are anglers buying the tags the system will be in place. Only way to change it is to stop supporting it and stop buying them. Want to keep walleye, go fish rivers or SK - that's been the story for me for years now.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
At the end of the day as long as there are anglers buying the tags the system will be in place. Only way to change it is to stop supporting it and stop buying them. Want to keep walleye, go fish rivers or SK - that's been the story for me for years now.
Stay away from my river!
Old 03-28-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Stay away from my river!
I only fish it on Sundays , you can have it rest of the week.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:02 PM

nah its funny, how some people talk about the sticker not sticking. dont get it wet on the adhesive side before applying it.

i work in the industry with vinys and self adhesive films and many vinyls and stickers dont work at all when its wet. Its not applied wet like window tint.

some customers wonder why there film dont stick and they blame the product.

no common sense. i've used the tags many times and have never had an issue.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-31-2019, 05:24 PM

In my area it is not the tags and sport fishing that is taking down the counts. It is the nets. It is pretty bad that I can't go out catch a fish to feed my family for the night but others can net when ever they want.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguzze View Post
In my area it is not the tags and sport fishing that is taking down the counts. It is the nets. It is pretty bad that I can't go out catch a fish to feed my family for the night but others can net when ever they want.
110% agree. Sustenance fishing (or hunting) because it was/were "traditional" rights for the most part I don't have a problem with in relation to the true sense of the meaning, however what I do have a problem with is when sustenance fisher people utilize "non-traditional" methods as I'm somewhat certain pick-ups, ATV's, snowmobiles, chainsaws, powered augers, modernized gill nets, and the like have nothing to do with the "tradition". Anyone who wants to walk out there wearing some birch branch snow shoes, chisel out a few holes in the ice, drop in a hand crafted gill net, and hoof all of that back home, go fill your boots.

Prejudice = "in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair". When the shoe is on the other foot... just saying