Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 AM

Default 4-5 weeks fishing but where?

Hello,

First of all My english is a bit broke so dont get upset if My spelling is like a five year olds spelling ^^

Im gonna fly To canada in late may or earlie june for some fishing and hiking for 4-5 weeks and i Will arrive To Edmonton . Me and My compadre was thinking of a canoe trip for 3 weeks and i wounder if u guys and girls maybe have some good tips ??

We don't want To hang out with all the tourists if u know what i mean..

We gonna go from Edmonton by car but We really don' know where, any tips on some good rivers with good fishing and not so strong current??

Any tips will do ,canada is so damn big its hard To know where We should start

Tight lines
/victor l
Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 AM

Right in Edmonton you have the North Saskatchewan River which is full of fish.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Welcome , That sounds like a great trip you have planned . If I could suggest to you , hitting places in the Rocky Mountains with some of the most beautiful backdrops one can lay there eyes on while your fishing . In Jasper which is about 4 hours West Of Edmonton , In Jasper national park , there's many lakes , rivers , streams one can fish . Of course you would require a national park fishing license $ 34.30 or 10 dollars a day .

here's a few links to check out

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/ban...4a.aspx#jasper

There's also plenty of places to go in the Kananaskis country , lots of bears around so I suggest being extremely careful . Perhaps hiring a guide within the area would be a good start even for a day or two at any which location and they would be more than willing to inform you of the wildlife , cautions in the area to be aware of . An Alberta sport fishing license will cost you
$70.90 a year or $47.63 for 5 days .

If you send me a Private message I can put you in touch with a friend of mine who is an avid fly fisherman that fishes southern Alberta as he might be willing to put you in a direction to check out . Or any questions at all just shoot me a message . I will do what I can to assist you . Last year I guided a group of 3 men from Sweden , very nice group of gentlemen . And like I said earlier gave them the steps and information to get them to be successful in getting into some good fishing . But those were lakes .
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 AM

First suggestion is to change your flight plans to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan or Winnipeg, Manitoba. Rent a car and head north. Google canoe trips + Churchill River System. You will not be disappointed.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM

Fly to winnipeg drive to lake of the woods/ lac seul ontario, and enjoy yourself for atleast 10 days, then fly over most of western canada and land in nanaimo BC and proceed to fish for pacific salmon and enjoy your holidays!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
First suggestion is to change your flight plans to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan or Winnipeg, Manitoba. Rent a car and head north. Google canoe trips + Churchill River System. You will not be disappointed.
x2 my thoughts exact for a three week canoe trip
Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 PM

might want to think about postponing your trip till late June early July or even august.

most streams don't open to fishing till June 15th (there are some that are open earlier or even all year) and usually they are experiencing runoff that makes fishing tough and canoeing even tougher to down right dangerous.

that being said i would definatley consider doing the North Saskatchewan river. i would put in either at Nordegg or even Abraham Lake and float as far as you can. don't know how long it would take to get back to Edmonton, but if you have the time that would be a pretty great trip with some real nice scenery along the way.also not an overly difficult river to paddle. lots of different varieties of fish in that river. trout and bulls near Nordegg and pike and walleye (and other species) the closer you get to Edmonton.

if you are still coming in may, be prepared for snow, cold nights and possibly ice still on the lakes and rivers.

rgds
Mike
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 PM

Default churchill river

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
this guy has nailed it,,, Churchill river canoe outfitters will set you up, You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
this guy has nailed it,,, Churchill river canoe outfitters will set you up, You won't be disappointed.
Put a blind fold on him spin him around and let him go... He won't be dissapointed no matter what direction he goes.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM

Hello Victor L
If you are looking for a remote place I own a fly in fishing lodge on Aylmer Lake NWT
I can offer you a glance into the past - the far-away past - there are very few places left on earth where you can see and experience land as it was thousands of years ago, or fish water that has never seen a line, or walk where no person has ever set foot.

I know I can help you and your friend out.

If this interest you please pm me or email me.
Kevin
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor L View Post
Hello,

First of all My english is a bit broke so dont get upset if My spelling is like a five year olds spelling ^^

Im gonna fly To canada in late may or earlie june for some fishing and hiking for 4-5 weeks and i Will arrive To Edmonton . Me and My compadre was thinking of a canoe trip for 3 weeks and i wounder if u guys and girls maybe have some good tips ??

We don't want To hang out with all the tourists if u know what i mean..

We gonna go from Edmonton by car but We really don' know where, any tips on some good rivers with good fishing and not so strong current??

Any tips will do ,canada is so damn big its hard To know where We should start

Tight lines
/victor l
Victor,

What style of fishing do you want to do, and what kind of fish do you want to catch?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Banned

Hey victor private message me and I can help you get set with some good places to fish !
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 AM

this isn't going to be a popular post on this forum. but if i where to fly halfway around the world to experience canada's best fishing in june, it wouldn't be in alberta.

for a "do if yourself" camping/fishing trip in june(late june would be better). i would be fishing on the Gaspe bay peninsula in Quebec. flyfishing for super fresh,large, atlantic salmon. it will start off slow, and get better every day. lots of different rivers. super fun!! big fish!!

or i'ld go to my favourite spot on the west coast, the Dean river. and flyfish for super chrome, chinook salmon and steelhead. same thing, it'll start off slow and get better every day. myself,i like the big fish. thats where i'll be,can't wait!!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 AM

We have some great streams and rivers in southwest Alberta for trout!!
A back country hiking and fishing trip would be fun.
Be bear aware we have black and grizzly bears so prepare yourself with bear spray and bells.
That said if you get the opportunity to go to BC / Vancouver Island there is also some epic fishing both on the rivers and ocean.....a guided ocean trip for Salmon and Halibut would be wicked.
Enjoy Canada and remember wherever you go to not litter and keep our wild pristine!!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 AM

Hi guys thanks for your answers !!!

Im not so interesting in fishing in edmonton , its just where i will meet my traveling partner , we have a car that we can use but we want a adventure , our thoughts and plans this far is rocky mountains or hedding north but we havenīt decide yet but problably we gonna do it pretty soon !!

I have got some really good tips and offers in this thread and i will surtenly think about it ,and i will Pm you !!

If i alone had the chance to choose where i should fish in canada i would choose the Fraser river for some sturgeon fishing but then i had to do it by my own, but trout and salmon fishing is really fun to just not a big game fish .

Our target species is trout salmon and pike, walleye or how you spell it have i never heard before but google is your friend right?

Im just wondering if anyone had a cool river that was worth canoeing and fishing on i have 4 weeks vacation so i have some time to see what so may peaople fall in love with

Once again sorry for my spelling but i have no time to correct it

any advice or tips on bears would be really nice

Tight lines

Victor

Last edited by Victor L; 03-19-2013 at 11:10 AM.