Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2016, 07:51 AM

Default Difference between Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops

This winter I decided to purchase an ice fishing shelter. After reading all the comments and suggestions on here and considering the type/price of the shelter I would want, I decided to purchase one up in Calgary. Having never owned one before, I wanted to visit both Cabelas and Bass pro Shop to see which one had the better price and a display set up. I first went to Cabelas first, then went to Bass Pro Shop at the CrossIron Mall. The shelter I decided to get was the Eskimo 949I because of all the good things I had read about them. Cabelas price was $499.00 on sale for $399.00 with lots of stock. However they only had 1 display model which was a Clam. I asked a staff member all kinds of questions about the different types of shelters, and they were very knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with. I didn't purchase one because I wanted to see what Bass Pro has to offer. Upon arriving at Bass Pro, they had more than 8 displays set up, but not the one I was wanting to buy. After hunting down a staff member, I tried to inquire about the Eskimo 949i. All I received in response was rudeness. When I asked if they had any in stock, the staff member snapped back at me that all they had for shelters was what was on the floor. When I asked about possibly ordering 1 in, again he snapped back saying good luck and that because of the time of year that it's really hard to get any in. Furthermore if I did wanna order 1 in, I'd have to order it myself and have it delivered to my house and pay the shipping charges. The Bass Pro Shop price btw is listed for $329.00, but that's American which works out to $445.00. Not only did Bass Pro Shop not have any, but they were more expensive and the staff member was a complete dick to deal with. Having said all that, I then left their store and drove back to Cabelas and purchased one there. I am reminded why I love shopping at Cabelas, and not so much at Bass Pro Shop.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:06 AM

I had the same experience at cabelas actually. Asked an older employee if they could order something in for me. He laughed and said you'll have to use the website for that. I replied that would be pretty hard to accomplish as I don't use credit cards unless absolutely required(I have a very low limit which basically gets used to book flights and gets paid off immediately). He looked at me and said "why not". Now the last comment could be construed either way but to me how I choose to run my finances is completey my buisiness. I told him in a polite way that it was just my way of doing things. He shook his head and walked away.

I have had good experiences with cabelas though and do continue to shop there of i cant find what I want from the fishin hole

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2016, 08:21 AM

try the fishin hole. i got my 949i there for really cheap. i cant remember exactly how much though, but it was the cheapest i could find

not to mention terry is a fantastic guy too
Old 11-12-2016, 08:27 AM

Great staff at Fishin Hole.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:41 AM

Having a wife who is a retail manager I am always being reminding how hard it is to find good staff. Large stores like Bass Pro and Cabelas will always have duds working for them. Finding one good employee is hard staffing their whole store with them is almost impossible.

That's why small stores like the fishing hole would almost invariably have better service.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:06 AM

I used to shop from the Fishin' Hole years ago when I lived in S'toon, I might have to start shopping from the Calgary store when I go up.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiity View Post
This winter I decided to purchase an ice fishing shelter. After reading all the comments and suggestions on here and considering the type/price of the shelter I would want, I decided to purchase one up in Calgary. Having never owned one before, I wanted to visit both Cabelas and Bass pro Shop to see which one had the better price and a display set up. I first went to Cabelas first, then went to Bass Pro Shop at the CrossIron Mall. The shelter I decided to get was the Eskimo 949I because of all the good things I had read about them. Cabelas price was $499.00 on sale for $399.00 with lots of stock. However they only had 1 display model which was a Clam. I asked a staff member all kinds of questions about the different types of shelters, and they were very knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with. I didn't purchase one because I wanted to see what Bass Pro has to offer. Upon arriving at Bass Pro, they had more than 8 displays set up, but not the one I was wanting to buy. After hunting down a staff member, I tried to inquire about the Eskimo 949i. All I received in response was rudeness. When I asked if they had any in stock, the staff member snapped back at me that all they had for shelters was what was on the floor. When I asked about possibly ordering 1 in, again he snapped back saying good luck and that because of the time of year that it's really hard to get any in. Furthermore if I did wanna order 1 in, I'd have to order it myself and have it delivered to my house and pay the shipping charges. The Bass Pro Shop price btw is listed for $329.00, but that's American which works out to $445.00. Not only did Bass Pro Shop not have any, but they were more expensive and the staff member was a complete dick to deal with. Having said all that, I then left their store and drove back to Cabelas and purchased one there. I am reminded why I love shopping at Cabelas, and not so much at Bass Pro Shop.
You do realize when you buy at Cabelas you are buying from Bass Pro ??

Mack
Old 11-12-2016, 10:00 AM

I realize that Bass Pro has just recently bought out Cabelas, but I've also been shopping/loyal to Cabelas for 10+ years. My friends often bug me about being sponsored by Cabelas whenever we're out fishing. Usually I have on my Cabelas hat, shirt, fishing rod, etc. lol
Old 11-12-2016, 10:55 AM

Fishing hole or buy on line .
Old 11-12-2016, 10:55 AM

Fishin Hole is the way to go!
Old 11-12-2016, 02:05 PM

In the Calgary stores, I've had good service and bad service at everyplace but The Fish'n Hole. I've never had any incident that I could complain about at TFH, only good service. Today I was at both Wholesale Sports and Cabela's, and got better service at Wholesale today. If I went to both places tomorrow, it could be the opposite.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:18 PM

Default Different focus

This may change since they are going together next year but I have found Cabela's always more clothing, hunting, camping focused and Bass Pro more fishing. I have seen sales numbers by dept. as well and as companies that is very true. Cabela's overall is not all that big on the fishing sode of things even though they have a fishing dept.

Saying all that I am over 20 years retail manager in several business types including this one and generally speaking the small shops will give you better knowledge and service but not everyone. It is hard as said to hire everyone perfect in a big or even smaller location.

I always laugh at how everyone trashes the big boys and ends up at the little guy in the end yet the next time they go shopping they go back to the big boys and buy from them again. I have seen this in person many times. If you expect to keep getting premier service then support the small shops out there as they need that to survive. The fishing guru who's name was mentioned earlier is probably one of our most knowledgeable guys we have locally and yet you have no idea how many people call/text him for advice after purchasing at another store. Happens all the time.

I understand we are all looking for a "deal" but sometimes in the end it is not. Don't forget to ask about warranty policies, who takes care of them, and return policies. Many complain in retail and if they only asked or read the signs you would know the return/warranty policy. Remember if you bring something back and the mfg deems it not defective the store has to deep discount it to get rid of it or eat the item. Small shops cannot afford much of this so are generally a little tighter on returns etc.

The big boys quite often will have crazy deals as they can afford to have lost leaders and give product away hoping you buy others. Keep your eyes open and you will often find the big deal at the big boys.

Hopefully that all makes sense but I have had to deal with customers in different retails and most of the time the challenging customer is only that way because no one seems to know what the policies are and someone says the wrong thing and then everything goes sideways...........

End of rant!
Old 11-12-2016, 03:33 PM

So you like Cabelas better then Bass Pro because you had one crappy interaction with a bad worker?

I have had bad interactions and frustrating moments at every store... It is usually a worker thing and not a representation of the company itself which is obviously the same thing in your case considering Bass Pro and Cabelas are the same company...

You can't expect good service from any of these places when they all pay peanuts. Fishinhole is definitely the best in Edmonton but that is because they are smaller and strive to maintain their business with good customer service. The bigger box stores just don't care and it shows in their employees and the good employees almost never stay because of the poor wages/working conditions...
Old 11-12-2016, 03:58 PM

No, what i'm saying it isn't because of 1 bad interaction. It because more times than not I get better/friendlier service at Cabelas than Bass Pro. Plus Cabelas seems to always have more stock on hand than at Bass Pro. And it wasn't only until recently that they've become 1.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiity View Post
No, what i'm saying it isn't because of 1 bad interaction. It because more times than not I get better/friendlier service at Cabelas than Bass Pro. Plus Cabelas seems to always have more stock on hand than at Bass Pro. And it wasn't only until recently that they've become 1.
Its still people not the company. You can blame the individual employees/managers but it has nothing to do with the companies(single company in this case).

Just how like Cabelas here in Edmonton is probably the last place I would ask the fishing department for help... Well WSS maybe the last but only because it would be hard to find any staff to ask for help from...
Old 11-12-2016, 04:45 PM

i went to buy a havalon piranta at bass pro and they didnt have any, and they couldnt get any for a week. i went to cabelas and they had like 20 on the shelf, for $5 cheaper. im starting to like cabelas a lot more than bass pro
Old 11-12-2016, 07:20 PM

I prefer Cabela's over Bass Pro. I've got a Cabela's branded rain suit and that thing is still going strong after 5 years. I also find the staff at Cabela's to be more knowledgeable and willing to help.

However, the Fishin' Hole tops them both, IMO. Competitive pricing and good customer service make it my 'go to' store. If they don't have what I need, I continue up to Cabela's.

The only thing that I don't get is how the Fishin Hole figures they can get by without a decent fudge shop.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:25 PM

I had good and bad experience at both. I like wholesale sports. I always had good service there, but not as much stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk