Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-16-2016, 05:24 PM

Default Vexilars k drill

I will be in Calgary over the weekend, does anyone know where I can pick one up?
Old 11-17-2016, 01:56 AM

The Rapala Fin-bore III works great with an electric drill.20151219_000408.jpg
Old 11-17-2016, 05:54 AM

Default GPS Central

GPS Central sells them.
I have been looking at them too and last time I checked their site said they had them in stock. Make sure you have a big bank account as they are pricey.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:53 AM

I would never of thought that a drill has enough jam to cut through the ice. But then again I never had a good cordless drill. How many holes will a battery do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
The Rapala Fin-bore III works great with an electric drill.Attachment 127574
I've heard that as well. If I couldn't find a k drill or the nils I was going to go with that one.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
GPS Central sells them.
I have been looking at them too and last time I checked their site said they had them in stock. Make sure you have a big bank account as they are pricey.
Great! I'll give them a try! I already have the drill and plenty of batteries so the cost won't be so steep.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
I would never of thought that a drill has enough jam to cut through the ice. But then again I never had a good cordless drill. How many holes will a battery do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It depends on the ice quality, thickness, quality of drill and auger. I've ran one for about 5 years now. Last year I ran a 8" swede bore on the Milwaukee fuel with 4 batteries. Never once did I kill all 4 batteries.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:26 AM

Default Youtube

Some good videos on Youtube. Drills thru thicker ice about the same speed as a gas auger. Power and longevity is more the drill and battery. Still costly even when you have the drill but less than half the weight to carry around. We generally dont get real thick ice around here most years. I have 2xgas augers for then so no biggie. One video had them on Lake Wpg going thru 3 ft or so of ice so it can cut pretty good then too.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:55 AM

Here's a video of me goofing around with just a simple auger to drill attachment. $5 from Canadian Tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds9-ZB-xwQA

If you get a really good drill like the Milwaukee and use a better auger of the Swedish/Finnish design, and a 6 inch bore, you'll get a ton of holes out of a single battery and they can be drilled fast.

My Eskimo auger bit was 8 inch and isn't the most efficient design. And my drill isn't the best either, but it sure beats doing it by hand.

It's a little more useful in the early and late season when the ice is thinner and you can quickly pop a hole in 30 seconds or less. You'll see in the vid that this took me about a minute to drill. One of the major problems is simply with the drill "sticking" when it cuts a bit too much ice at once. A better drill or smaller auger would probably remedy this.

Also, make sure your connection between auger and drill is tight. I've heard of many people losing augers to the water right after drilling a hole when they get loose.