Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 PM

Question Spencer

Anyone been to Spencer the last couple of weeks? I have a couple of weeks of and need to get some hard water fishing to kill the time. Let me know what the rode is like into Siebert and what the fishing was like.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:04 AM

I was out on Spencer about a month ago and fishing was good but they have had a bunch more snow fall up there since then.

Was on Seibert this past weekend and it's either Quad or Skidoo's only unless you have a some type of modified 4x4. Fishing was ok at best on Seibert. Some surface water in places. Lots of surface water along the western side of the lake where it is protected from the wind. Could be even worse on Spencer as it does see as much wind as Seibert. Road in is fine.

Remeber accessing Spencer from Seibert is unlawful.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:23 PM

It depends which way you go. From what I understand there is a cutline that runs parallel to the base perimiter that is legal as you stay out of the AWR. The main trail is unlawful but everyone uses the it and the CO's don't seem to be bothered as they followed us in on our January trip.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:51 AM

There are only two ways in that I know of. The Touchwood route which is the only legal way via ground or the trail accessed by going across Siebert which is illegal (only if you get caught I guess) as you would be traveling across the air weapons range boundary shortly after you hit the shoreline on Seibert.

As I understand trespassing over the air weapons range can only be enforced by military folks and that it is out of a CO’s jurisdiction to enforce. But that is only what I have heard.

Spencer Lake – Walleye limit 1 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
OPEN May 18 to Mar. 31 only during the following periods:
l on normal weekends, from 5:00 pm each Friday to 1/2 hour after sunset each Sunday;
on long weekends with a Friday statutory or civic holiday, from 5:00 pm Thursday to 1/2 hour after sunset on Sunday;
on long weekends with a Monday statutory or civic holiday, from 5:00 pm Friday to 1/2 hour after sunset on the holiday Monday; and
from 5:00 pm on Dec. 24 to 1/2 hour after sunset on Jan. 1.
(NOTE: Spencer Lake is located in the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range and live ammunition is used in the area. Use of the lake by anglers is dependent on the approval of the Canadian Forces at the Base. If necessary for Base operations, access to Spencer Lake may be closed during some of the open periods listed above. Due to safety concerns, the Canadian Forces does not permit overland access to Spencer Lake on any trails that are inside the Bombing Range boundary, including the trail between Seibert and Spencer lakes. Spencer Lake may only be accessed from the west tip of Spencer Lake and it is unlawful to go ashore inside the bombing range boundary).
Apr. 1 to May 17 – CLOSED

I have seen the military police a few times over the years travel across Seibert and travel up the trail towards Spencer. I understand they sit right at the air weapons range boundary and charge folks for trespassing coming in & out of Spencer if they take that route. There are usually signs posted right at the air weapons range boundary clearly indicating one would be trespassing if one were to go any further. I know of many folks who have travel via the Seibert route many times and never had an issue, but unfourtanley it is the one time you get caught that sucks the big one.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:52 AM

There are 2 ways into spencer from Siebert. One that you are inside the range which is the one that is used in the winter and there is a second which is a cut line that is quite hilly that you follow the edge of the range and come out on the north west side of the lake.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM

DAd was there the other day and they only caught fish right before dark. Said it was slow the rest of the day. Watched some guys pul 2 nets out of there. Lots of flood water on Touchwood and you need a skido to get in. They had a quad and a skidoo but the quad kept getting stuck and the skido had to pull them out. good luck