Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-17-2016, 03:47 PM

Default Kayak fishing

I'm planning on taking this up as some summer me time. Many folks on here with info/ advice on which way to go for a kayak purchase?
Leaning towards the Ascend FS10 from bass pro. I am new to kayaking and will be on smaller lakes

Last edited by bearbuster; 11-17-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:24 PM

I wouldn't get a sit in kayak like the FS10. You get what you pay for in fishing kayaks, if you are only going to use it sporadically then an ascend or pelican or some other cheap kayak will get the job done. I would probably get the FS128T if going with an Ascend model though.

Basics to know and research when picking a kayak are as follows.

Length, short and light is nice for carrying but longer kayaks are faster and usually have higher capacity. Shorter kayaks shine on rivers because they are more responsive.

Stability, wider kayaks are usually more stable but not always. Best way to know is to research it(lots of info can be found by googling specific model names). Some fishing model kayaks like the FS128T are stable enough you can stand.

Rigging, different makes/models have different layouts. Depending on how much gear you want to take with you this can be important.

As for kayak brands you have Ascend at Bass Pro, Pelican at Canadian Tire then the better brands are Ocean Kayak at Cabelas/Fishing Hole, Wilderness Systems at Glenmore Sailboats or Aquabatics, Jackson Kayak at Totem or Aquabatics, Hobie at Glenmore Sailboats.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 PM

I would recommend trying out a few kayaks instead of jumping in with something cheap like the FS10. I went to MEC paddlefest in the spring and tried out at least a dozen kayaks free of charge. The one I would have told you was the one I ended up hating (Old Towne Next) and as soon as I dipped my paddle sitting on an ocean kayak I was hooked. Just the perfect combination of speed and stability.

Ended up with an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 from cabelas when they went on sale. Its faster than my friends FS12T and has way more features. Although much more expensive.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk View Post
I would recommend trying out a few kayaks instead of jumping in with something cheap like the FS10. I went to MEC paddlefest in the spring and tried out at least a dozen kayaks free of charge. The one I would have told you was the one I ended up hating (Old Towne Next) and as soon as I dipped my paddle sitting on an ocean kayak I was hooked. Just the perfect combination of speed and stability.

Ended up with an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 from cabelas when they went on sale. Its faster than my friends FS12T and has way more features. Although much more expensive.
The Trident is a pretty good kayak, I own one myself. The 2017 models are coming out with an improved seat which will be worth waiting for imo as the seat was previously their biggest issue.

Like cars if you buy a quality kayak it will hold its value better. They are pricey but almost everyone that buys a cheap one ends up upgrading a year or two down the road and that just costs more money in the long term.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:08 PM

Thanks guys I figured the cheapest wouldnt be the best way to go. I have been reading lots of reviews and watching youtube videos to research. Ive been watching kijjiji steady as well but havent much luck finding what i was looking for. Obviously I have time before I will need one so will keep looking. I like the looks of the Trident at Cabelas, But from Ive read hear and other threads I have found I will rule out the ascend
Old 11-18-2016, 12:01 AM

Cabela's Advanced Anglers 120 fishing Kayak is $1299.99 and looks pretty interesting.
The Hobie's are great, but come with a price. Fighting a fish without having to paddle is a definite plus.
Spend some time on YouTube watching videos on the different yaks out there, they may help you decide.
I started yak fishing this summer and am addicted, 2 10' Pelicans in the corner of the garage to play with my daughter and 2 fishing yaks hanging from the ceiling.
You won't be disappointed
JH
Old 11-18-2016, 08:17 AM

The Hobie is probably the best on the market. You do not need to use a paddle if on lakes, you can use two hands to fish and still move around the lake using your legs. They are wider for stability, easy to move around out of water. There is really no comparable kayak on the market. On days you want to paddle around, you still can. I have had mine for 4 years and it's great for lakes and rivers. Yes, they are more expensive but that's because you are getting more functionality and a better product.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:01 AM

My wife and I have hobie revolution 13's. Mines set up to hold my fly rod. Installing a fish finder this winter. Very stable. Leaves my hands free to cast while I move along the shore. I haven't tried it on a river yet.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:04 AM

I've had an FS10 for a few years, it's a nice entry level fishing kayak for the price, and I find it really comfortable to fish out of. I was hesitant to spend more money until I figured out if I would enjoy fishing out of a kayak. Ended up putting a fish finder, battery, and anchor trolley system on mine, but admittedly If you want to really outfit a fishing kayak the FS10 isn't really easy to install a fish finder transducer very cleanly. I also can't realistically stand up in it reliably, haha.

My advice; if you want an inexpensive kayak to fish out of, the ascend models are fine and will get you out on the water. If you want to really outfit a fishing kayak, you're better off with one of the higher end models listed.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:28 PM

I have the FS10T sit on top kayak now and am very pleased. Sure it would be nice to have a high end model but for the price I'm very comfortrable and can do everything the other models can do aside from foot pedals

I run the wire from the transducer up through one of the scupper holes and zip tie the wire tightly one of the gunnel cargo hooks (edit- just realized you have the sit in model)

Been on Lac La Ronge, the NSR and other large waterbodies with no problem