Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
All very good points, to which I do not have a rebuttal!
Ya Whipped, just like dat?

You'll make her happy. Lol....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
From the scientific literature, these walleye are both large enough and old enough to be of spawning size.

The lack of recruitment appears to be due to insufficient spawning habitat.

Which brings up the question, who was the fisheries biologist that decided on stocking walleye, did they properly consider habitat needs or was this a Hail Mary attempt? Choosing walleye for this reservoir was a wrong move, the decision should be reviewed with hindsight in order to not repeat the mistake.

If the decision has been made to convert PCR into a trout fishery, then F&W should get to it. Forget about a low walleye possession limit, raise the limit and get these fish out of there and get onto the trout. Why piddle around taking years to do what could be done much faster?

With the low numbers of fishable waters in Alberta it is important to have venues that offer recreations for the masses. Despite the desires of some "trophy" fisherman guys", a place like PCR with its easy access and proximity to large urban centres will achieve much more users days as a high volume put and take fishery than as a "Trophy" fishery. Let's not forget that these high volume stocked lakes take an enormous amount of fishing pressure Away from other waters.

Besides, those "Trophy Fisherman Guys" have a way to find and fish where the big ones are.
Political forces at the time wanted walleye. The lake was built with spawning reefs but for whatever reason whether it be water temperature, levels, or even something as simple as the plankton community things didn't work. It's not always easy to see why things didn't work in biology, much simpler from the comfort of everybody's couches. They could have tried something new forage wise but a stocked trout fishery is easy, no management needed. Can't expect much more with the current state of Albertas fishery department. At least it can now act as another population sink for city folk fisherman, plus all the Mercury can give the fish a special flavor
Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
Political forces at the time wanted walleye. The lake was built with spawning reefs but for whatever reason whether it be water temperature, levels, or even something as simple as the plankton community things didn't work. It's not always easy to see why things didn't work in biology, much simpler from the comfort of everybody's couches. They could have tried something new forage wise but a stocked trout fishery is easy, no management needed. Can't expect much more with the current state of Albertas fishery department. At least it can now act as another population sink for city folk fisherman, plus all the Mercury can give the fish a special flavor
Interesting to learn and certainly understood.
Nature is not easy to manipulate.
I have no issues with the attempt to create a walleye fishery.
And no issues with admitting it didn't work and moving on to something else.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Pcr

Fished Wednesday for 6 hours for the first time this season. Lake was down 30-40 feet from normal. I was not sure how the boat launch would be so I oppted to shore fish which is (was) always easy. Well I was wrong, I could have & should have brought my boat. Some bigger boats than mine had no problem with the launch. The fish where all deeper than one could reach from shore. The Pike where not to be found either, which is never a problem.the only time I have ever seen that many people at the reservoir was August long weekend. I talked with a bunch of people who would come over to see how I was doing. Not one had been there before, but they where all there to get their Walleye! If there is Walleye left in the reservoir after the upcoming winter I would be shocked! I guess my happy days of calling the TIPS line to bust the poachers & collect a nice reward are over! Man that was so easy & rewarding. Gone will be the days of landing 100 plus Walleye! The best & easiest place to teach kids & newbies will be gone as well! I can't understand why people are so pumped to get 3 highly laced Mercury ridden fish that the young, old & pregnant should not eat. I love Walleye to eat but my health is more important to me! As usual before leaving I did a garbage cleanup of the shore. I can't believe that in this day & age people still can't take there garbage to the provided garbage bins? So much cigarette buts & packages, bait containers,plastic, broken bottles in & around the rocks absolutely disgusting! I won't be going back to see the rest of this gong show play out this year! Enjoy the **** show that is now PCR! A once great place to catch a lot of fish,& poachers!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 AM

Anybody know what the water temp is?
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 04-20-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskieboy View Post
Fished Wednesday for 6 hours for the first time this season. Lake was down 30-40 feet from normal. I was not sure how the boat launch would be so I oppted to shore fish which is (was) always easy. Well I was wrong, I could have & should have brought my boat. Some bigger boats than mine had no problem with the launch. The fish where all deeper than one could reach from shore. The Pike where not to be found either, which is never a problem.the only time I have ever seen that many people at the reservoir was August long weekend. I talked with a bunch of people who would come over to see how I was doing. Not one had been there before, but they where all there to get their Walleye! If there is Walleye left in the reservoir after the upcoming winter I would be shocked! I guess my happy days of calling the TIPS line to bust the poachers & collect a nice reward are over! Man that was so easy & rewarding. Gone will be the days of landing 100 plus Walleye! The best & easiest place to teach kids & newbies will be gone as well! I can't understand why people are so pumped to get 3 highly laced Mercury ridden fish that the young, old & pregnant should not eat. I love Walleye to eat but my health is more important to me! As usual before leaving I did a garbage cleanup of the shore. I can't believe that in this day & age people still can't take there garbage to the provided garbage bins? So much cigarette buts & packages, bait containers,plastic, broken bottles in & around the rocks absolutely disgusting! I won't be going back to see the rest of this gong show play out this year! Enjoy the **** show that is now PCR! A once great place to catch a lot of fish,& poachers!
Fantastic post, well said. I could not agree more.

I enjoy catching walleye, rarely keep any. I don't think my fishing license is a fee to take as many fish as I can, and I am happy to pay the $30 to enjoy the privilege to catch fish. A small price to pay for the enjoyment of the outdoors and tight lines. The **** show that is PCR today is an absolute shame, on all levels, from gov't mismanagement to the fisherman wanting to get all they can, simply because they can.i have no issues with someone taking a fish home to eat, nor taking a limit home legally, but please, have some respect, don't take 3 fish home every day for a week, don't litter, and have respect for other people fishing! I don't think it's too much to ask!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:23 PM

I fished there on Monday with 3 other friends and only got 1 bite.
Place is so windy and always get lines stuck (especially near the bridge).
This was my 3rd time out and I got skunked the previous times as well.

I can honestly say I will never head back to that lake. again. It was almost shoulder to shoulder fishing on Monday. No one was catching anything anywhere around the lake from what I could tell. The lake water looks disgusting and there is garbage all over the place because people are too lazy to pick up after themselves.

Not only that, but I don't see why people want to try and catch their limits, considering the Walleye in that lake have such a high Mercury content to the point women and children are not supposed to eat any at all.

I would much rather drive an hour and a half and fish in the mountains. Better yet, fish in a mountain lake where you have a hike for 2 hours. Atleast there won't be many fishermen.

/end rant.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Anybody know what the water temp is?
I can't give you a number, but it is so cold it hurts just getting my 12' off the trailer in knee deep water. Give the place a couple weeks and the temperature should go up and kick start fish activity.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:28 PM

Got one walleye and one pike today. Lots of ignorant people but it kept me entertained.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
Got one walleye and one pike today. Lots of ignorant people but it kept me entertained.
Welcome to fishing with the entitled crowd
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 PM

You wanna introduce newbies and young ones just come on up to ol pigeon. Catch and release till you sick of them. Yard em out of 23 foot of water and chuck em back when sheez 30 degrees out. Can't keep them although at least one in three is dead. Same idea but at least you can eat them. Where's this p.c.r? ? ? Me and the boys are on the way.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 PM

Just follow the steady stream of boats leaving Calgary headed south!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM

Pine Coulee Reservoir. It's a bit of a hike for us in the south to get to pigeon.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk