Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 PM

Default Mirror lake British Columbia

My wife has booked our summer holidays for the third week of July at Mirror lake, near Kaslo and beside Kootenay lake! It's supposed to hold smallmouth bass, which is a "Bucket list" fish for me! Anyone have any experience there or in that general area?! Thanks in advance again!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:05 AM

Default Bass are fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
My wife has booked our summer holidays for the third week of July at Mirror lake, near Kaslo and beside Kootenay lake! It's supposed to hold smallmouth bass, which is a "Bucket list" fish for me! Anyone have any experience there or in that general area?! Thanks in advance again!
The Bass are small but fun lots of action. You need to get out into the middle as it is very weedy along the shore line float tube, kayak would good. Had my best luck with a jig with the spring colorado blade deal on it. And a purple sparkly plastic worm with no tail hooked through the middle with a single gamagatsu. They really like that wiggle action it gets with the hook in the middle. Oh And I only caught large mouth didn't see any smallmouth. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
The Bass are small but fun lots of action. You need to get out into the middle as it is very weedy along the shore line float tube, kayak would good. Had my best luck with a jig with the spring colorado blade deal on it. And a purple sparkly plastic worm with no tail hooked through the middle with a single gamagatsu. They really like that wiggle action it gets with the hook in the middle. Oh And I only caught large mouth didn't see any smallmouth. Good luck.
Thank you very much! I will add that tackle to my arsenal and touch up on my largemouth vs smallmouth species recognization, as I've never seen either one in real life!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 AM

I've caught smallmouth using a white 1/4 oz jig with a 3 inch florisant red twister tail. I sit out about 50 feet or so from a dock and cast along side the dock. If there is a bass under that dock, it only takes 1 or 2 casts per side to get a hit. If it's really weedy I bury the hook point in the rubber.
I've also caught bass jigging for walleye using a frozen minnow for bait.
All my bass fishing was done in Manitoba.
Largemouth and smallmouth bass are 2 completely different looking fish.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM

They are quite small there, 8 inches would be a big one. Great for the kids. One of our favourite Campgrounds!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:19 PM

fished there many times, last summer I was using a flyrod and doing great, even hooked a couple bats in the evening. there are some big bass in there but you need to get through all the smaller ones to find them. you catch a lot on baits and all sorts of lures, they can be pretty aggressive, but some days you will have to work harder for them. take something that floats and fish around the shorelines. theres a great little tackle shop as you enter Kaslo if you need gear and advice

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 PM

Default Mirror lake

This is great news and info. I really dont care about the size of the fish, I just want to see one with my own eyes. I felt kind of stupid looking for bass tackle at the fishing hole the other day!? I have a good supply of jigs, spinnerbaits, poppers, cranks, blade baits, spinners and spoons! I'm limited in space so I will probably only take one rod and reel combo, a light action with 6-8 lb test?! Everyone agree with that or should I go bigger? You can bet your pay checks that I will be in every sporting goods store that I come across on this trip! Keep the advice coming, thx again.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:33 PM

Not fishing related, but I remember visiting Mirror Lake as a kid, and there was a nudist beach across the lake from the public beach. I wonder if it is still there today???
Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishALotNot View Post
Not fishing related, but I remember visiting Mirror Lake as a kid, and there was a nudist beach across the lake from the public beach. I wonder if it is still there today???
definitely the wrong lake
6 to 8 pound line will be plenty. take lots of loonies for the showers lots of ducks in the lake

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 PM

I just trolled with a green black Woolley bugger right beside the weeds had lots of action
Old 04-21-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishALotNot View Post
Damn!!! This vacation just keeps getting and better!!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:31 PM

What you already got for rod & reel, line and tackle seems to be all you'll need other than some luck.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Not familiar with Mirror lake but wondering if there might also be some good yellow perch or other sunfish fishing there? Some BC lakes have nice perch too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets