Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Default Down imaging

Gonna pick up a fish finder for my kayak after the pension cheque comes in next week. Wondering if down imaging is worth getting in alberta? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Gonna pick up a fish finder for my kayak after the pension cheque comes in next week. Wondering if down imaging is worth getting in alberta? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I love down imaging. I can pick a fish out of the weeds on the bottom of the lake.

Dodger.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:51 PM

I like it as well and agree for the same reasons good ol' dodger mentions.

It seems to be able to pick out details you can't see clearly on regular sonar. I'd say, if it fits into your budget, get it.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:34 PM

I almost never use down imaging. Side imaging on the other hand I do very much like.

I find down imaging is only a small improvement. It does make it more obvious as to whether or not a mark is a rock, tree, fish etc but still have to be right on top whereas SI helps you find that structure instead of just helping you distinguish what it is. That though is why DI only costs a few bucks more but SI is pricey.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I almost never use down imaging. Side imaging on the other hand I do very much like.

I find down imaging is only a small improvement. It does make it more obvious as to whether or not a mark is a rock, tree, fish etc but still have to be right on top whereas SI helps you find that structure instead of just helping you distinguish what it is. That though is why DI only costs a few bucks more but SI is pricey.
I'd suggest the price difference is related to the cost of the transducer, which is is significantly more complex compared to a DI transducer AND is also a big cost associated with the R&D that went into developing the software to render those signals into what we see on the interface.

In my mind cost has little to do with "how good something is" when looking at consumer electronics particularly in new technology. Investors and shareholders want to see a return on all those bucks spend on research, development and marketing.