Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2023, 05:23 PM

I got lost and still scratch my head when they sing it part in French. I don't speak French. Not sure but I think the French Canadian are outnumbered now.
Wonder how many signatures it will take to change the words. Some people just need to be taken to the train station. Oh well, she will get her name in the history books as they rewrite them.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:57 PM

Last edited by huntinstuff; 05-31-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:46 PM

Sorry… cannot type….crying and puking…
Old 05-31-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Then when they play it take a knee.

Whose knee and where too?

Maybe you should stop being so woke tolerant. Did I say I protest the national anthem? Nice stretch by you. I just couldn't give a crap whether we have one or don't. Especially now when people are free to change it up whenever they feel someone or thing is being slighted or ignored. One has to be very woke to think its fine, hell mandatory, that we retain a national anthem thats becomes more of a political statement every 5 yrs in order to recognize the cause of the week. Hmmmm. Wonder who 2028's offended nominees will be?

Maybe we could just ban it...like Canada Day and fireworks. Or make it the Liberal party fight song.

Last edited by 270person; 05-31-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:35 PM

I have a completely different take on this. The use of "native land" in O Canada, has nothing to do with aboriginals. When this song was written, the author was not talking about aboriginals when he said native land. Canada is OUR native land. Canada is MY native land. It is where I was born. I am native to Canada. Canada IS "my home and native land"! There is no need to change anything. Nobody was discriminated against with this song. Leave it alone already. If our national anthem bugs you that much, write a new one and propose it. Stop making changes to one of our national treasures.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarms11 View Post
I have a completely different take on this. The use of "native land" in O Canada, has nothing to do with aboriginals. When this song was written, the author was not talking about aboriginals when he said native land. Canada is OUR native land. Canada is MY native land. It is where I was born. I am native to Canada. Canada IS "my home and native land"! There is no need to change anything. Nobody was discriminated against with this song. Leave it alone already. If our national anthem bugs you that much, write a new one and propose it. Stop making changes to one of our national treasures.

Great points. Really, if any parts of the anthem are to be changed it should be the whole "strong and free" thing. Strong? Probably not since 1970, and Free? The only aspects of that word that apply in Canada are probably safe street drugs and the ride given to 80% of government employees.

Last edited by 270person; 06-01-2023 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:17 AM

Mississauga city council? Who cares ? They can't change anything nationally. We might as well have an AOF vote on the president of Uganda .
Old 06-01-2023, 06:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Well said.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-01-2023, 06:27 AM

I think if anything should be changed it should start with, Eh Canada, not O Canada.

Or, Canada Eh, our home and.....

Anyway, woke ding bat number 9784567 your up, it's your turn in the loonie loop.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
This isn’t a completely different take. This is what it is. That is what was written and how it was meant.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
I got lost and still scratch my head when they sing it part in French. I don't speak French. Not sure but I think the French Canadian are outnumbered now.
Wonder how many signatures it will take to change the words. Some people just need to be taken to the train station. Oh well, she will get her name in the history books as they rewrite them.
It would be one thing if it was just a French translation of the same song, but it's a different song.
If your whole country doesn't even sing the same anthem, you may as well sing the Oscar Meyer weiner song.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
Sorry… cannot type….crying and puking…
Glad I'm not the only one!
Old 06-01-2023, 09:33 AM

Stupid woman looking for a little ink and kissing arse to 4% of the population. And there is NO disrespect to the men and woman that bravely fought for this country. They are probably rolling over in their graves wishing they could get up and give some of these wokey A-holes a swift boot in the jewels. These over entitled creeps keep pushing the envelope and people have to say enough ! Your not getting your way all the time. Never ending BS
Old 06-01-2023, 09:42 AM

When it is time to sing our national anthem, I rise from my seat and remove my hat, then sing the the English version I was taught 65 years ago.....

I DON'T CARE WHAT THE GUY STANDING BESIDE ME THINKS OR IS SINGING.

I proudly wear a poppy and take a minute of silence of respect and thanks and still say the Lords Prayer......

In my mind I am doing what is right, they can't take that away from me.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 06-01-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
When it is time to sing our national anthem, I rise from my seat and remove my hat, then sing the the English version I was taught 65 years ago.....

I DON'T CARE WHAT THE GUY STANDING BESIDE ME THINKS OR IS SINGING.

I proudly wear a poppy and take a minute of silence of respect and thanks and still say the Lords Prayer......

In my mind I am doing what is right, they can't take that away from me.....
Amen to that.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
It would be one thing if it was just a French translation of the same song, but it's a different song.
If your whole country doesn't even sing the same anthem, you may as well sing the Oscar Meyer weiner song.
Now THAT, was funny.

And sad, all at the same time...
Nicely done.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:23 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Rather than change national anthem, maybe change the government

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...the-government
Old 07-04-2023, 02:27 PM

O Canada!
Our home for 40 million!
Truely love to do want we want all the time these days

With apologies we see you smile,
The True North shaking our heads!

From red necks to NDP,
O Canada, we stand on guard for stuff.

Internet keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for protests.

O Canada, we stand on guard for me.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-04-2023, 06:20 PM

Justin wants it changed to Our Home on Rainbow Land
Old 07-04-2023, 09:44 PM

Sooo..?? will we have to sing it in all three official languages? English, French and Punjabi?? Only in kanuckastan eh!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-04-2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Every hockey game i watched this year starts with an acknowledgement that we are on the traditional land of the,......
This is also my traditional land, many generations worth.

Where's MY acknowledgment?

I have no problem with certain acknowledgement's being givin but STOP messing with our national anthem!

PLEASE, JUST STOP!!

And it's "all thy son's command" Always has been, always will be in this house. It wasn't the whole woke part of that that bothers me, it's who initiated it, that BAFOON Zoolander.

All this talk about truth and reconciliation and all I've seen so far are a LOT of demands from one side, but never about what they are doing as their part in it. T&R is a 2 way street.

I'd like to hear about them cleaning up their own back yard before making any kind of demands from the taxpayers that pay their Chiefs and band councilors often more than our own PM makes. But that's ok somehow and just me bringing that up makes me a you know what.

But that's a whole other issue for another thread so I'll just stop right there..

LEAVE OUR ANTHEM ALONE ALREADY!!