Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2007, 05:07 PM
TeckMan AB

Default Fly instruction advice

Moved from Picton On. to Calgary last sring, did not get out fishing at all last summer but hiked and scouted around a bit on the streams here. Now being from The Bay of Quinte area I'm used to fishing the lake from boats, having sold my boat to finance my families move (not cheap thing by the way) I figured to learn to fly fish some of the nice mountain stream that I have seen.

Now the question I have is Where can i Find Good fly Fishing Instruction at a resonable price.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:10 PM
jrs

Look around at the local colleges for night courses. They offer one (or used to) in Lethbridge and it taught a guy how to cast, pick fly's and a few other things. Was under a $100 when i saw it advertised. Worth checking if similar stuff is available in Calgary. Otherwise try to hook up with someone who's proficient at it and it doesn't take long to catch on. I taught my dad in about an hour, he caught 25-30 trout his first afternoon on a small put and take.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:19 PM
RyanGSP

I was in Calgary last year and almost every fly fishing store in there offered them. Just check out the fly fishing only stores and they should be able to help you.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:53 PM
TeckMan AB

I looked into the store
Country pleasures and The fishin hole both offer
but never thought of colledges will look in to that as well

Thanks and hope to see ya out there this spring
Old 01-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Vexilar

If your willing to drive to where I live on a saturday I could show you the basics at no cost.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:51 AM
geezer55

If you are a member of a fish and game assocation, some of them give free lessons. That's how I got more information on tying after trying to teach myself. Also you make new friends.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:35 PM
nafegavas

What geezer said.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:00 PM
TeckMan AB

Thank you all for the advice, Vexilar, thank you for the offer but as of yet I have not gotten a rig and it is more so lessons for my son and I,

Geezer Any idea about what ass. would be around Calgary.

thanks Teck
Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 PM
geezer55

Go to www.afga.org and in their links column they have the zones and clubs in the zones. Some of the clubs have web sites through which you should be able to get in contact with someone who can help you out. Also check with a community college, here in Lethbridge they offer fly tying courses and they also have classes on equipment and fly casting. Geezer
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Vexilar

Your welcome Tech let me know how things work out for you I hope you and your son catch on to the rythm and practice practice practice.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:32 PM
chef

max bell arena /this weekend ,fly fishing expo , learn to flyfish ,get deals on gear and much more , fri ,sat and sunday ,Calgary.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
max bell arena /this weekend ,fly fishing expo , learn to flyfish ,get deals on gear and much more , fri ,sat and sunday ,Calgary.
Jan 25-27, 2008 at Spruce Meadows. You're a week late and the wrong side of town.
http://www.flyfishingevents.com/

Cheers,
Doc
Old 02-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeckMan AB View Post
Geezer Any idea about what ass. would be around Calgary.
Cowboys was always my faithful dive for ass. trolling, Ranchmans is a close second, but too many teenie boppers (unless thats your thing). Nothing beats a summer day at Princes Island though, its everywhere!

Your Welcome
Old 02-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Default flyshops

I have been going to Fishtales Flyshop for a number of years. I like the place and the people. Dave and Nancy seem like a couple of good eggs and have never steered me wrong. They have courses for beginners as well.