Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 11:09 AM

Default Why asking for hunting spots is not good etiquette…

This is not a hard topic. Go ahead and ask for hunting spots, but don’t be surprised when when people do not roll out the welcome wagon.

In 1975 there were 1.8 million people in our fair province. Now there 4.3 million. Figure out if it is harder to obtain permission.

Gas is $1.70L. Bit more expensive to find those enjoyable spots too.

Trucks start at $50k and maintenance is in keeping with that figure,

Ask away, but realize when you are asking for someone’s hunting or fishing spot, a heckuva pile of time effort, and cost went into getting it, so don’t be surprised if you are not given cookies and milk along with your request.

Do this long enough and you get burnt by bringing friends who show up later unannounced, and uninvited, much less rolling the dice with strangers.

Simple truth is you should get off the computer, and go find your own spots.

No one ever said that hunting or fishing is or should be easy, and it doesn’t make people rude when they see guys who contribute nothing to the forum, or next to it, and let them know that questions like this are not really the most kind of cool.

Truth is when you put in the effort yourself, success is much more rewarding.

Finally, mentoring newer hunters is part of giving back to the sport, and thus most weekends you will find a new or newer hunter in our blinds. But giving away hunting spots to strangers on the internet is a far cry from mentoring beginning hunters.

Last edited by tirebob; 05-23-2022 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:15 AM

Helping buddies out is one thing.

Posting your previous hunting spots online for all to see makes me cringe. You may have found a better spot but there is a good chance that someone put in the work, found that old spot you moved on from; now you just told the whole world their "new" honey hole.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This is not a hard topic. Go ahead and ask for hunting spots, but don’t be surprised when when people do not roll out the welcome wagon.

In 1975 there were 1.8 million people in our fair province. Now there 4.3 million. Figure out if it is harder to obtain permission.

Gas is $1.70L. Bit more expensive to find those enjoyable spots too.

Trucks start at $50k and maintenance is in keeping with that figure,

Ask away, but realize when you are asking for someone’s hunting or fishing spot, a heckuva pile of time effort, and cost went into getting it, so don’t be surprised if you are not given cookies and milk along with your request.

Do this long enough and you get burnt by bringing friends who show up later unannounced, and uninvited, much less rolling the dice with strangers.

Simple truth is you should get off the computer, and go find your own spots.

No one ever said that hunting or fishing is or should be easy, and it doesn’t make people rude when they see guys who contribute nothing to the forum, or next to it, and let them know that questions like this are not really the most kind of cool.

Truth is when you put in the effort yourself, success is much more rewarding.

Finally, mentoring newer hunters is part of giving back to the sport, and thus most weekends you will find a new or newer hunter in our blinds. But giving away hunting spots to strangers on the internet is a far cry from mentoring beginning hunters.
Well said and FAR more politely than I would. As far as I am concerned, and as you know I have advocated this for a long time, those types of threads should get nuked by the mods as soon as they show up. Nothing good ever results from them.

For all you Internet/Google hunters too lazy to find your own spots, there is a Safeway store every couple of miles, they are REALLY easy to find, and you always get your meat.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:36 AM

Ask for a hunting spot; you may get one or two spots that will now have a lot of people there because everyone can see it online. That's not fair to the ones that put in the work to find it on their own when everyone else is there as well in the fall. Even the one asking won't enjoy being crowded.

Come on here and ask,
What topography to look for
What food sources does x animal like
South, North aspects
How to scout
Etc....

And you will get responses and have the whole province to explore and it will be much more rewarding. And you will have more success
Old 05-23-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Ask for a hunting spot; you may get one or two spots that will now have a lot of people there because everyone can see it online. That's not fair to the ones that put in the work to find it on their own when everyone else is there as well in the fall. Even the one asking won't enjoy being crowded.

Come on here and ask,
What topography to look for
What food sources does x animal like
South, North aspects
How to scout
Etc....

And you will get responses and have the whole province to explore and it will be much more rewarding. And you will have more success
Spot on and there are some great threads on here about Bear, Elk and Moose hunting that started out exactly that way. Guy can learn a tremendous amount, from some really experienced guys, reading those threads.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Helping buddies out is one thing.

Posting your previous hunting spots online for all to see makes me cringe. You may have found a better spot but there is a good chance that someone put in the work, found that old spot you moved on from; now you just told the whole world their "new" honey hole.
Yes, this is part of it also. Last fall there was a guy who posted directions down to a tee of his former hunting spot right down to signs and ferry crossings. I wonder how the people who still hunt those areas feel. I wasn’t thinking o your point when I wrote this, but it is bang on.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:12 PM

Ask a about how to find a place to hunt and many on here will tell you every secret they have...ask them for a spot to hunt and all you will get is crickets......or dean will give you directions to safeway lol.....always loved that one.
If you search there are threads on just about all big game
Species and differrnt hard earned tactics for both finding and harvesting them...guys on here are more than gappy to share but no one is giving anything away....we will give you tools....you need to use the tools to get success.
Great post SNS its just about time for these to start popping up....
Old 05-23-2022, 12:31 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Ask a about how to find a place to hunt and many on here will tell you every secret they have...ask them for a spot to hunt and all you will get is crickets......or dean will give you directions to safeway lol.....always loved that one.

If you search there are threads on just about all big game
Species and differrnt hard earned tactics for both finding and harvesting them...guys on here are more than gappy to share but no one is giving anything away....we will give you tools....you need to use the tools to get success.
Great post SNS its just about time for these to start popping up....
I actually agree that these "asking for honey hole" types of threads should go away as a rule, and it is not a rule currently, but do try to understand too that when people dogpile someone, no good comes of it for our community as a whole. You are much better to either fully ignore it and go crickets on the OP than to call them out. Sure some guys should know better, but often some guys really do not. Attacking does not promote our community well in the eyes of the public and make others who lurk not want to participate for fear of looking bad.

I think when you say things like obsessed1 just said, you are far more effective and a better ambassador for our pastimes, even when you are right in being frustrated.

Just my 2 cents...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-23-2022, 12:32 PM

People are interesting, a few years back I filled my bull elk tag early in the bow season. Not long after I had a guy ask permission to hunt my place, I told him he could hunt on my land because I had already filled my tag. He then wanted to know where I got my bull and was irritated that I wouldn’t tell him, this after he told me he had two whole weeks to hunt( way more time than I had). If someone has a late season cow tag I will help them with info or put them in touch with someone having elk problems but I’m not going to put an x on the map for a stranger with a bull tag. Like many others I’ve learned the hard way about not keeping my mouth shut or taking the wrong person to good spot
Old 05-23-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I actually agree that these "asking for honey hole" types of threads should go away as a rule, and it is not a rule currently, but do try to understand too that when people dogpile someone, no good comes of it for our community as a whole. You are much better to either fully ignore it and go crickets on the OP than to call them out. Sure some guys should know better, but often some guys really do not. Attacking does not promote our community well in the eyes of the public and make others who lurk not want to participate for fear of looking bad.

I think when you say things like obsessed1 just said, you are far more effective and a better ambassador for our pastimes, even when you are right in being frustrated.

Just my 2 cents...
Maybe mods should discuss making a rule. If you really think that what you are referring to as a dog pile is a bad look for our community then it might be a good time to revisit a new rule.

I think you guys do a great job, but if you are really wanting to be a more welcoming community, you should nuke those threads immediately. There is simply no way that threads like this will ever be well received. Likely nor should they.

Just my two cents.
Closed Thread