Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-16-2014, 07:12 PM

Default Big Horn Sales

I just thought I should let everyone know about the great customer service and how Gary at Big Horn Sales is a stand up guy.
To start off, I decided to do a custom LH 7mm mag build on a R700 action. My smith instructed me to contact Gary and order a barrel. I know nothing about building a custom rifle as this is my first.
Gary helped me a lot.
Gary's service is second to none. Stand up guy, great communication. Cut me a great deal on a .284 Stainless, fluted Benchmark barrel.
The barrel arrived today, and is exactly what I expected and was packaged great!
If your looking for a new barrel for your rifle I recommend Gary to anyone.
And ive heard Benchmark barrels are some of the finest
Feel free to PM me for contact info
Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 PM

x2. Gary was great to deal with when I ordered my .338 barrel blank for a 338-06 build! I'll use him again for my next one.

VDD Group Canada
Old 09-16-2014, 10:12 PM

X3, I bought a 6.5 barrel from Gary and he was full of knowledge ans the prices are great.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 PM

x 4, bought two Greybull stocks, no complaints.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-16-2014, 10:31 PM

I have a 9.3mm barrel on order with Gary.... Cant wait for it to get here
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 PM

Can you please post some contact information for him when you get a chance?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 PM

i have orders quite a bit through gary in the last couple of years and he is always easy to deal with and ready to entertain all of my questions. Definitely my go to for any gun parts for all my builds.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 AM

Got my 20 cal benchmark off him recently. I found Gary great to deal with. I will deal with again.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 AM

I've bought a pile of barrels, reamers, triggers and other Gunsmithing tools from Gary. He is an A1 guy to deal with. Now that he is carrying stiller and defiance things are going to get a whole lot more interesting in my shop in the next little while.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 AM

Gary Eakin
(250) 845-2201
thereamerguy@yahoo.ca
Old 05-29-2023, 04:08 PM

Default Bighorn sales Ltd

You guys say Gary is a great guy, I called him today about setting up a Forster Seating die ,he asked if I bought it from him I said no because I had never heard of him before, he said to call the Forster company itself why should I help you if you didn't buy from me. WOW ,I called Peter at Hirsch Precision he was more than happy to help. 6mm GT is hard to find in Canada still because its so new but Gary's attitude I will be sure not to use him in the future .Social media can really hurt a business and I contacted Forster on this matter as well. Hirsch Precision will get my dollars.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod493 View Post
You guys say Gary is a great guy, I called him today about setting up a Forster Seating die ,he asked if I bought it from him I said no because I had never heard of him before, he said to call the Forster company itself why should I help you if you didn't buy from me. WOW ,I called Peter at Hirsch Precision he was more than happy to help. 6mm GT is hard to find in Canada still because its so new but Gary's attitude I will be sure not to use him in the future .Social media can really hurt a business and I contacted Forster on this matter as well. Hirsch Precision will get my dollars.
I guess when a guy hasn’t posted in 10 years a lot of aggression builds up and you need to vent once in awhile.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
What a bizarre post.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
What a bizarre post.
in what way?
Old 05-29-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
in what way?
How many times have you called a random business to ask for help with a product they don’t sell?

Not only that, take a look at the post count.

Then on top of that complain to everyone on social media about it under a random name.

Is that normal behaviour?

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 05-29-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
How many times have you called a random business to ask for help with a product they don’t sell?

poster was asked if he bought if from bc vendor, he had not but you,seem to be wrong on the above assertion

Not only that, take a look at the post count.

post count does not mean he is lying, post count can be relevant but in this case if he would have had glowing remarks would that then make his post REALLY RELEVANT AND IMPORTANT, I,think not

Then on top of that complain to everyone on social media about it under a random name.

he has not complained to everyone on media just this forum,
and maybe we should or could ask him his random name

or maybe he works for Hirsch (NOT)

Peter has always been a stand up guy

Gary is also nice but just trying to address the question posed, nothing more and nothing less
Is that normal behaviour?

A friend
Old 05-30-2023, 06:42 AM
Shooting Xs

To resurrect an almost 10 year old necro thread to complain about not getting free advice from a business that he didn't purchase the product from, a business by all accounts is very busy, strikes me as a little off also.

Setting up a seater die is information that is easily found on the web or how about on Forster's own website?
https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...ullet-seating/

Just saying......
Old 05-30-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
To resurrect an almost 10 year old necro thread to complain about not getting free advice from a business that he didn't purchase the product from, a business by all accounts is very busy, strikes me as a little off also.

Setting up a seater die is information that is easily found on the web or how about on Forster's own website?

Just saying......
U R correct on both counts

I would have done the same
Old 05-30-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post

Just saying......
Exactly, and yutube videos as well take any guesswork out of it as well.
I have never dealt with Bighorn but know many people that have and IIRC Post #11 is the only negative thing I have heard about them, of course there are always details missing isn't there !
Cat
Old 05-30-2023, 09:17 AM

Last time I dealt with a business that I didn't buy the product from for a warranty return, I got the answer of, "since you didn't buy from me, I will have to charge you a shipping fee". I needed to send a scope to the US for factory warrenty.

I was okay with that answer, but the fact that the business gave me the time of day is the real impact here.

I have not bought from Gary, but I understand that he is SUPER busy, so these types of things would get zero priority, especially with him being so busy, and the answers so readily available online.

Sometimes though, the little things that one does as a business owner translates to new and life long repeat customers.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
Last time I dealt with a business that I didn't buy the product from for a warranty return, I got the answer of, "since you didn't buy from me, I will have to charge you a shipping fee". I needed to send a scope to the US for factory warrenty.

I was okay with that answer, but the fact that the business gave me the time of day is the real impact here.
Sounds like a reasonable answer from a well run business.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:35 PM

This is a ridiculous post. Gary Eakin runs a fine operation. I have never read a credible bad post about him ever. And every single person I know who has dealt with him has found him to be fair in price, and great in knowledge and service.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:41 PM

A simple i'm to busy at the time would of being a better response.
Don't spit in a mans face unless his mustache is on fire.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Lmao, why would anyone phone up someone they’ve never dealt with and ask such a question. Everything is on the internet now and although I’ve never dealt with Forster dies I’m sure they are not much different than other dies to get set up. I bet you voted orange this election eh?
Old 05-31-2023, 05:22 PM

I had to look back and see who would revive a post from 2014

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:12 PM

Yes very suspect when with only three posts and one of them slagging a reputable outfit, they feel the need to dig up an old post to show their ass.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I know you don't know me, but I need my grass cut.

You will have to take your own time to travel to my place and cut my grass, but bring your own lawn mower while you are at it if you don't mind. Mine's out of gas.

And remember this is Social Media, so your attitude to my request will be monitored by everyone.

Drewski
Old 06-01-2023, 11:43 AM

I run a large equipment rental company.
We get a pile of calls every month from people that own there own piece of equipment and want to buy parts, or have me fix there machine, or help them over the phone.
Well im not a parts store, but I direct them to where they can buy the parts from.
We are not a for hire service shop either, and the times that we have worked on someone else equipment it has been a nightmare, so I just kindly decline and tell them where they can bring it.
Not sure why we get these calls, but Gary sounded like he told the guy the right thing, call the manufacture, as he did not sell the product, so why would he spend some of his time with someone that was not even a customer.
He has been nothing but helpful to me every time I have phoned him to order parts, even talked me out of a more expensive product, as he had something else that he believed worked better and was less expensive.
The amount of non billable time, most businesses spend each year on the phone with people that are not even there customers is unreal. Not sure why this guy was mad that Gary told him what to do.