Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2007, 12:43 AM
southern ice?

Default southern ice?

any ice reports from this week? sherburne maybe?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:59 PM
RyanGSP

Everythins around taber is open.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:08 PM
jrs

I've heard the trout ponds are fishing good. Best time of year, open and cold water means aggresive trout.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Pigshanks

Everything around the Hat is open as well.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Open Water

Default Open Water

Are Bullshead and Newell open yet?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Kyle

Default rainbows/pike

bullshead isnt open until april 1st, and newell is a bait ban..just incase you forgot.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 PM
geezer55

Default No Ice

Went fishing at McQuillan Lake, southeast of Coaldale, and there is no sign of ice anywhere. Was there for about 2 hours, caught and released 2 and lost 5. Was fishing Powerebait suspendended under a slip bobber. Talked to another couple fishing, they had 3 that they had kept because of hooking them too deeply, didn't say how many they had released or lost. Was ice fishing the last time I was there, February 25th.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
RyanGSP

Default Re: No Ice

Geezer we were out there about that time (feb) jigging powerbait with about the same success. Head to payne next time. Its a little farther but catching 2 dozen trout in a day its well worth it.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:25 PM
jrs

Went out spinning at Henderslime in Lethbridge today. Lost a 10lb+ small distance from shore. Saw a couple babies but no other hits, would have been my biggest city pike.
Anyone heard if Beaver Mines Ice is holding up still? I'm headed west Sunday but taking both ice and open gear. Taking a friend who hasn't made it out this year and is hoping for ice. Thanks if anyone knows.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:06 AM
RyanGSP

JRS strap on the belly boat and troll a waterboatmen fly. Deadly this time of year.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:06 AM
jrs

Default RyanGsp

Any ice ideas though? I actually prefer heading out with my bellyboat and big bead head woolly buggers. If i go open water i'll be hitting pain with big rapalas and possibly some streamers later in the day.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Ice out

Default Ice out

Open, as in ice free
Old 03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Pigshanks

Default Re: Ice out

Might head out that way and check. Cavan is wide open, but Bullshead is quite a bit higher in elevation and is usually a bit later in ice out.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Adam

Anybody know how Glennifer Lake (Resevoir) is doing? Is it ice free yet?

Thanks
Adam
Old 03-17-2007, 09:30 AM
rainbowriser

I will be heading to beaver and lee this morning to have a boo ,hopefully this wind gets lost ,i will let you know for tommorow morning .stay tuned for wind report in morning
Old 03-17-2007, 12:14 PM
jrs

Good luck Rainbowriser, let me know how the conditions are if you can.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:14 AM
rainbowriser

Good morning .Well went out yesterday to beavais and lee both lakes look totally unsafe for ice fishing and not opened up enough for other . sorry didnt make it to beaver. i walked the river for a while from cotton wood campground at the dam down toward summerveiw bridge as it is opened(legal)all year round .never even got a sniff! thier was a couple fellows on a pontoon drifting the river ,the wind was brutal.,this mourning started out with rain and now as i look out the window i see its snowing .oh well we just have to be pateint guys .Spring is just around the corner then the trout hunting can begin in full force, talk to you soon ,got called to work.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:58 PM
jrs

Bobalong, you obviously were making guesses at ice quality and quantity or just reffering to prairie lakes. I hit up Beaver Mines this morning, three of us went and we kept our limit of nice plump rainbows and the ice is still safe, just a bit soft on the edges. Not wide open, luckily i took my auger as i had suspicions.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:57 PM
arctic800

Adam, Glennifer/Dickson Dam is still completely froze over. I was out there yesterday. The water level is really down as per normal for this time of year. Has anybody tried ice fishing this resevoir? I live 15 minutes away and have never tried it through the ice, and have never seen anybody ice fish it. Sylvan and Gull are deteriorating a bit but will still be fishable for a while. Most are still driving on.