Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Nikanit

Default Red Deer River Questions

Hi from the west coast everyone! I'm originally from Alberta, born in Rocky Mtn. House. I'm heading out to red Deer to see my Mom in the late summer, and I was thinking of grabbing a mountain bike to explore the area. I'm a steel header out here, haven't fished in Alberta for more than 25 years! Any places let me know. I don't have a clue as where any fishing spots are.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
jrs

Welcome! Wish i could tell you some good spots on the river but i'm still fairly unfamiliar with it. I know Sylvan Lake just west has some good fishing, as does Pine Lake a little ways out of Red Deer.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 AM
FisherPotch

Default Red deer River

I've never fished the rdr but i fish the nsr often and i'm sure the conditions are similar. If u find a good eddie thats a good place to start. I'd hike along the bank till i found a deep eddy in an area that doesnt get much pressure. If u find those things i'm sure u'll find fish. Also try many presentions, in my experience they are pretty picky sometimes. Try bottom bouncing with a leech or minnow (check the regs iduno if u can use bait), try spoons, spinners, scented baits, crankes, etc.

With the bottom bouncing debris can cost u many hooks. If u get stuck on bottom remember the area and use advanced jig tactics to raise your lure over the debris. I find this to be an exceptional technique for walleye.

Cheers and good luck,

Potch
Old 03-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Nikanit

Default Re: Red deer River

Thanks for the input!
And maybe when I fish that river I won't get so many curious looks from other anglers because I'm a female. Believe me, you don't see too many female steelhead anglers here in Vancouver! And when the dudes are on the river, they look at you, come over to see if you actually know what you're doing, and when they see that yes indeed, I know my stuff, they'll plop down and just watch & talk your head off because they are trying to wrap their head around the idea of a lady in a predominantly male sport. I guess it helps when you've grown up in a family full of boys, and you're the only female. HA HA!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:22 AM
amycuz

Hey Nikanit,

Best place to fish the RDR (if you don't have a floater), is at the bottom of the dam. Last couple of years you could catch almost every kind of fish that the Red Deer has. It's deep, slow moving, and has plenty of fish. If you have something to float on, start at the bottom of the dam and float to Innisfail. It's a full day, but great spots and usually pretty good fishing. Good sized Browns.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Nikanit

About how far is that from Red Deer? I'll need to figure out a bicycle route to that spot, I bet there are many trails around there too as I seen the Dam area on Google Earth.

Man it will be so nice on my own there, with no kids and no husband, just little ole' me!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:40 AM
amycuz

it's a ways out there. Probably 1/2 hour or more by vehicle, so as far as a bike ride goes, you're looking at quite a ride. Best find a ride. Dam is west of Innisfail. Highway access only.