Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

Default Fishing for years, NEVER seen a whitefish.

Just wondering, are they normally just under the ice?

I have heard some people say they have caught them while perchin'. I perch all the time, and have NEVER seen one.

What does Everyone use when fishign for them, wireworms, maggots...ect...I would like to start fishing for these guys but need a little guidance...OBVIOUSLY...lol

good luck all

Ryan
Old 02-16-2007, 11:05 PM
re

Default re

Seriously? Ive been icefishin since I was knee high to a grasshopper and if anything as far as I can remember have only seen a handful of perch. Perch are like ghosts to me in the winter!! What area are you in? I saw a HUGE white while fishing McGregor a couple weeks ago(at least 6 pounds). It actually picked a smelt off the bottom that I was using for jigging earlier. Came back a couple times, take a sniff and swimm off. I think the key is light line. I have not caught many but see them often.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

Default Re: re AREA

I am in edmonton ice fish at North buck, mons, calling ect. At lakes where there are whites, I always wanted one, but have never even seen one.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:36 PM
hmm

Default hmm

Don't really know what to tell ya. I'm not from that area. When I've seen them its usually in 5-10 feet of water. Can't say for sure but have been told by many that just a plain wire worm works( copper in color) Just wiggle it how you would imagine a scud swimming along. You certainly will see way more than you catch! I am sure others can tell you better though as I mostly concentrate on pike.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:52 AM
jrs

Default Re: hmm

Wireworm with a single wriggling maggot is dynamite in all the prairie reservoirs, i'd imagine same thing up there. I've caught lots on pickeral rigs as well (with smaller hooks of course). They do often cruise a little higher in the water column but use the botton as well. I'm surprised you never see them. I find the biggest trick to catching lots is using a "tippet" of 4-6 lb line, catches the weary ones.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:41 AM
RyanGSP

Default Re: hmm

Quote:
Wireworm with a single wriggling maggot
Yup thats what I use.