Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-25-2022, 07:13 AM

Default Zolero

Does any one use Zoleo satellite communicator for back country use, and how do you find it for messaging someone
Old 07-25-2022, 09:14 AM

Have had mine for just over a year. Been awesome to communicate to the wife on trips. Very few, deep valleys that there is no coverage, but you still run in to those situations in BC. Would not trade it for anything, as I do hunt solo a lot of times.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:36 AM

Its the Zoleo you're talking about I think.

My buddy bought one last year and it seemed ok for sending out messages. However in the fall I was meeting up with him for a camping/hunting trip. As I was working late he headed out early to setup camp ahead of time and used the Zoleo to send me a pin of where the camp was. The pin location he sent me from the Zoleo was off by about 5-10kms of where he setup camp. I ended up having to drive up and down backroads for while until I found his trailer.

So it worked for sending messages, but if it were me I wouldn't buy it to rely on its ability to send out your GPS location. Like I said maybe it could have been user error or a one-off situation though.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:45 AM

I bought mine this year. So far it’s great. Depends on what you want to use it for.

It uses the same system as Garmin as far as I’m aware, so coverage should not be different. I went with zoleo for a few reasons:

1) super easy and convenient to text and stay in touch. Friend of mine has Garmin and it’s kind of a pain to communicate - have to text specific number etc. the zoleo app makes it really convenient for me to keep my wife and kids on the loop.
2) plan pricing is good and easy to put on sleep mode for $5 a month
3) I didn’t care for real time location tracking, which is additional cost for zoleo but didn’t need it
4) I use my iPhone for all things GPS/mapping related so Garmin really didn’t add value for me. Yes battery life etc on phone isn’t as good - but fact is my phone in combo with zoleo gives me everything I need
5) way cheaper than Garmin. Buy it, try it and if you really don’t like it I doubt it would be hard to sell. More people have $200 to spend than $450

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk