Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-07-2015, 01:57 PM

Default General tags for me

Well with how busy i have been, and how little time i expect to have come the season, i 999d all the draws I would have pulled this year to not waist priority.

Generally i go back to Manitobia to Hunt when i don't have a Tag pulled from the draw system, but this year that isnt an option either.

I will be lucky to get a day away, let alone 2 in a row this fall. So ill be doing day trips from Okotoks whenever i get the chance (luckily during the week).
But sadly this leaves me with the busiest WMU's. I will be parking and putting the miles on the boots.

What i am thinking so far;

304/305 for general whiteys. Is there a healthy population of them down there? Ive seen piles of mulies but not a ton of whiteys personally.

412/414 For general whitey and muledeer. i know theres deer there. But im not a huge fan of the area based on my last camping trip there a few years ago.

My question is, what would you do? i really cant afford much more than a 3 hour drive if i'm day tripping. And i would like to get into these busy WMU's early and hike a few miles off the road and get some time in the woods and a chance at a harvest.

thanks guys!
Old 08-07-2015, 03:58 PM

Hey man I live in okotoks also I will hopefully be getting out hunting more than you by the sounds of it but I know certain spots close by I might be convinced to share if you are wanting a hunting partner sometime. Most of my buddies are far away so a hunting partner may be needed haha
Old 08-07-2015, 03:59 PM

I'd be hitting up some of the leases in 312 and knocking on doors in the Caresland area. Whitetails everywhere in both those areas. Black Diamond area has lots but permission can be tough

IMO 304 has seen a shift the last few years, there are less and less Whites from what I've seen, I suspect all the logging going on in porcupine hills has pushed the mulies out of their usual areas and into the lower fringes. That being said I did fill my general whitetail tag in 304 again last season (public land).

Water will be the key this fall. Creek bottoms and water holes is where I will be.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

I'll take you up on a hunting partner I bet! Pm inbound