Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Default infrared led camera

Hello All,

Just looking into some information for an underwater camera ( for fishing ) has anyone used them with the infrared LED lights? If so is the image black and white at night and color in the daylight? ( oddly I'm not having much luck finding info. on line.)

Any advantages / disadvantages you notice with them vs.. White or blue light LEDs?

Thanks ! and tight lines .

S
Old 02-07-2017, 09:34 AM

Advantages of infrared is that they are legal. Visible camera lights are not supposed to be used here in AB.

I believe the image does switch to black and white in low light conditions on all the top end cameras. If using at night probably won't be able to see much unless you angle the camera down towards the ground or a fish passes right in front of camera. The camera has to pick up the light and in order to do so the light has to hit a backdrop of some sort.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:56 PM

Default camera

Thanks Rav, my thoughts were similar, I was hoping someone might have personal experience with them just to see.

I don't think many people consider the legality of using white lights, that's an excellent point!

S
Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 PM

I have the Aqua-vu micro with IR lighting and it does convert to black and white at night. IMO the IR works a bit better than using a one with a light. Of course like any camera, if the water isn't very clear don't expect to see much.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C.W. View Post
Thanks Rav, my thoughts were similar, I was hoping someone might have personal experience with them just to see.

I don't think many people consider the legality of using white lights, that's an excellent point!

S
I have used Marcum's and an Aqua Vu Micro II with infrared light. I never tested the aqua vu at night though but in playing with it I did notice the light does work and what is nice about the aqua vu units with infrared lighting is that they are also built so you can angle the camera downwards.

I haven't used a HD700i but I would like to. They are probably the best low light camera of the bunch but haven't got the chance to try one yet.

For daylight use I still prefer the Marcum's though cause I like their set up a lot better with the separate cable holder, case built in and no screws to remove to swap batteries.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I have used Marcum's and an Aqua Vu Micro II with infrared light. I never tested the aqua vu at night though but in playing with it I did notice the light does work and what is nice about the aqua vu units with infrared lighting is that they are also built so you can angle the camera downwards.

I haven't used a HD700i but I would like to. They are probably the best low light camera of the bunch but haven't got the chance to try one yet.

For daylight use I still prefer the Marcum's though cause I like their set up a lot better with the separate cable holder, case built in and no screws to remove to swap batteries.
I have both the Marcum 825 and the Aqua Vu HD700i. The Marcum is maybe 4 or 5 yrs old now and the HD700i is brand new at Christmas. Head to head heres the scoop as I see it so far. In clear water, bright conditions the HD700i is unequaled. It is truly amazing how far you can see with it and the clarity is off the charts compared to the Marcum. In bright skies murky water it is terrible in fact the Marcum is better. In dark overcast, clear water the Aqua Vu is a little better with or without led's on or off doesn't seem to matter much. In dark overcast, murky water leave them both in the truck and either sight fish shallow or fish deeper and use a flasher! Overall the Marcum in my opinion is still the best all around camera for my use and the Aqua Vu is a super good treat on nice bright days in clean clearer water. The Manta camera on the Marcum is also great for use with the boat. My eyesight isn't perfect either so your experience could be a little different than mine. I like them both really I just prefer to use them in different situations as you would probably expect. I saw on YouTube with the new HD700i a guy actually found it better to put a piece of electrical tape to cover the led lights for better visibility. Something to do with the colour I think, can't quite remember. Will have to look it up again.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
I have both the Marcum 825 and the Aqua Vu HD700i. The Marcum is maybe 4 or 5 yrs old now and the HD700i is brand new at Christmas. Head to head heres the scoop as I see it so far. In clear water, bright conditions the HD700i is unequaled. It is truly amazing how far you can see with it and the clarity is off the charts compared to the Marcum. In bright skies murky water it is terrible in fact the Marcum is better. In dark overcast, clear water the Aqua Vu is a little better with or without led's on or off doesn't seem to matter much. In dark overcast, murky water leave them both in the truck and either sight fish shallow or fish deeper and use a flasher! Overall the Marcum in my opinion is still the best all around camera for my use and the Aqua Vu is a super good treat on nice bright days in clean clearer water. The Manta camera on the Marcum is also great for use with the boat. My eyesight isn't perfect either so your experience could be a little different than mine. I like them both really I just prefer to use them in different situations as you would probably expect. I saw on YouTube with the new HD700i a guy actually found it better to put a piece of electrical tape to cover the led lights for better visibility. Something to do with the colour I think, can't quite remember. Will have to look it up again.
I have seen that video, he didn't like the red tinge the infrared lights give. I could care less about colour as long as I can see the fish to help me catch it that is all that matters lol.

In low light/night have you tried using your camera on the downward 45 setting? Lights don't do you any good unless there is something to reflect the light back to the camera. That is why the lights on these cameras appear to be useless(and kind of are). Set up on a downward 45 using the bottom to reflect it probably still isn't ideal but might let a guy continue to use it into the night. Something I would never bother with since I have a flasher but some guys that don't want to buy both might like that feature.