Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2018, 02:28 PM

Default Garmin vs Humminbird

I am looking at new electronics for my boat and have a few questions. I am looking for user friendly as my top priority. I don't see map building or linking to trolling motor in my future. I am looking at either Garmin or Humminbird or combo of the two.

Right now I am leaning toward a Garmin DI at the bow attached to my trolling motor and a Helix 9 DI/SI/GPS at the console. Thoughts on this combo?

few other questions

1) is there any advantage to having on brand 1 of electronics on the boat. Any conflict between the two units working at the same time?

2) Thoughts on Garmin in general as I have experience with Humminbird but none with Garmin marine products.

3) Thoughts on the Garmin 9 or 10 inch console units compared to the Humminbird Helix DI/SI/GPS units

Thanks for any info you can provide
Old 07-02-2018, 05:05 PM

I would mount Lowrance carbon units on both bow and dash. Network them together with 1 Ethernet cable and share all waypoints, maps and transducers from either machine. Solarmax HD screens (can view with polarized sunglasses), dual processor, genesismaps.com for free mapping, can add the 3D structure scan for best clarity of side and downscan and can be viewed from either unit. Also the physical size of the units are smaller than the humminbird so you can have more dash area