Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2018, 10:45 PM

Default Wabamum info

Heading to wab for the first time this weekend. Is there any shallow rocky areas I need to watch out for? Don't want to ruin the prop.

I'm sure I'll be able to find some fish. Seems like everyone catches a few there, but if anyone was willing to pm me a spot or two, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2018, 06:07 AM

west side of the lake,if you have a small car topper launch on the seba side or half way down the lake at Wabamun sailing club turn off which is the next left turn on the hyw after the overpass going to town. both only have a sand boat launch.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:33 AM

Costs $20 to use the town launch by the sailing club though
Old 07-05-2018, 06:37 AM

I heard they dropped the price down to $5.00
.Buddy was there this last weekend.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 AM

The only surprise rocky area on the lake I am aware of is on the south east side in the shallow bay directly south of the town launch on the opposite side of the lake. More like a sand/gravel/boulder shelf - but all of that water in there is pretty shallow.

The other one to be aware of, although usually there's enough water there, is Fallis point - it comes out almost a kilometer away from the shoreline but there's 2-3 ft of water along most of it so it's usually not an issue.

I don't think there's a spot on that lake that's "bad" for fishing. Find a drop off where the water gets deeper and you will find fish. Be prepared to catch 100's of dink size walleye and a few starving skinny sickly pike.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I heard they dropped the price down to $5.00
.Buddy was there this last weekend.
Nope, still $20

http://wabamun.ca/waterfront-park/
Old 07-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The only surprise rocky area on the lake I am aware of is on the south east side in the shallow bay directly south of the town launch on the opposite side of the lake. More like a sand/gravel/boulder shelf - but all of that water in there is pretty shallow.

The other one to be aware of, although usually there's enough water there, is Fallis point - it comes out almost a kilometer away from the shoreline but there's 2-3 ft of water along most of it so it's usually not an issue.

I don't think there's a spot on that lake that's "bad" for fishing. Find a drop off where the water gets deeper and you will find fish. Be prepared to catch 100's of dink size walleye and a few starving skinny sickly pike.

Thanks for the info on areas to be cautious of.

I’m taking a few young kids out so I’m sure catching stunted walleye and little pike will make them happy.