Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2018, 07:32 PM

Are you could do like Manitoba does it have a conservation license and a regular license conservation you're allowed three less than the regular license obviously be different in Alberta

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Are you could do like Manitoba does it have a conservation license and a regular license conservation you're allowed three less than the regular license obviously be different in Alberta

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Every license in AB is a conservation license lol. Possession limits already reflect that........but that is a valid conservation measure in other provinces where possession limits are more liberal.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
How does throwing more money at it change it? C&R anglers kill more than their share too! Mortality rates can be every bit as high in my opinion as catch & keep especially in winter when walleye & perch tend to go deeper and do not have the ability to burp off air while being brought up.
Well with more money ( and if it actually went were it should) we don't have to close places like Raven brood trout station and can afford to build more. I agree mortality rates in winter are higher and if you can't keep the fish your fishing for in deep water then maybe it's best to leave them be but most lakes in Alberta don't have that issue. I disagree that catch and release is anywhere close to catch and keep as far as mortality rates though. Lakes like pigeon and Sylvan have hundreds of walleye caught and released daily and there's still tons of walleye in there.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Same points were made at the walleye/pike meetings in the fall.

Fisheries are busy patting themselves on the back because they have netting data showing better walleye populations then in past decades and compared to our neighbouring US states etc. Meanwhile anglers all over the province are getting frustrated because they can't keep anything and all species other then walleye are in .
Hahaha Albertas neighboring states to the south aka Montana. Where walleye are considered an exotic non native species. Unfortunately Trout fishing is the game in Montana. Real good walleye fishing on some water down here though. Sucks you can’t keep them in AB as they’re quite tasty!
Old 03-29-2018, 03:30 PM

Alberta is Finished. Good thing I live so close to Sask. Alberta spends pennies on the dollar compared to other provinces on fisheries. They make cash, and Notley uses it to pave roads in Fairview for votes. They have now gone way to far, and will make poachers out of most. In my area, the creole studies used to create the tag system (Moose for example) was from before the lake was closed. Not even close to relevant. Anything older than 2 years is garbage IMO. 10 years old...imagine basing the work you do everyday on 10 year old data. They can take their tags and shove them where the sun don't shine, I'm done.

Spruce
Old 03-29-2018, 07:55 PM

You and I both...waste of time and money in alberta anymore. Now the central lakes with the new pike closures will get the last remnant perch fished out. I'm pretty sure fish weren't put on the earth to bail out a sorry excuse for a government an 11 dollar tag at a time. Or have a hook pounded into their head once a day all summer long and thrown back for the next dude to flop into the boat. It's gonna be pike tags next. They'll never open those closed lakes again without trying to make a buck off of every fish that goes into the frying pan.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:24 PM

Probably a stupid question, but is there any benefit to putting in for walleye tags on the first day? I don't think I'll get the chance to put in a draw tomorrow, but can swing it if it increases my odds. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2018, 08:15 AM

I don't believe there is any difference in your odds as long as your application reaches them in time.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:20 AM

No difference.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
I don't believe there is any difference in your odds as long as your application reaches them in time.
Didn't think so, but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
No difference.
Thank you!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:16 PM

Does anyone here know why srd shutdown, the lake whites, perch, burbot, and walleye on the old man from the cotton wood to the 509? Seems pretty heavy handed, last year you could keep 10 burbs, 10 lake whites, 15 perch, and three walleye over 50 cm.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:46 AM

You could try calling the biologist for the area. Open the map then click on the name of the area and it will bring up the contact info.

http://aep.alberta.ca/about-us/conta...ap-Mar2015.pdf

http://aep.alberta.ca/about-us/conta...-contacts.aspx
Old 07-05-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
You could try calling the biologist for the area. Open the map then click on the name of the area and it will bring up the contact info.

http://aep.alberta.ca/about-us/conta...ap-Mar2015.pdf

http://aep.alberta.ca/about-us/conta...-contacts.aspx
Thanks for the reply, but, none of it works. Won’t let me click on the map, someone on here must must know why they shut down so many fisheries, or, is it another mistake? Are burbot and yellow perch now more of a threatened species than trout on the same stretch of water? Has anyone ever caught a lake white on that stretch? Who ever made the changes needs to sober up. Last year that stretch was covered in the general regs, this year, fisheries vanished for no apparent reason.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickensashimi View Post
Thanks for the reply, but, none of it works. Won’t let me click on the map, someone on here must must know why they shut down so many fisheries, or, is it another mistake? Are burbot and yellow perch now more of a threatened species than trout on the same stretch of water? Has anyone ever caught a lake white on that stretch? Who ever made the changes needs to sober up. Last year that stretch was covered in the general regs, this year, fisheries vanished for no apparent reason.
In recent years AEP has been overly enthusiastic about shutting down retention and even fishing. They have closed dozens of lakes and rivers to retention and last year proposed multiple outright closures with no scientific basis. Thankfully anglers stood up to them on the river closures but we are going to have to do the same thing if a guy wants a chance at retention of fish. At the current rate it will only be a few more years before everything is C&R or tags...

It is my understanding that the FSI system the bios rely so heavily on is supposed to be looked at by an out of province 3rd party to see if it actually makes sense. Hopefully that sparks some changes and gets them on the right track.