Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2018, 04:25 AM

Question Best (all purpose) Travel Rod

Am starting to wish I had a rod that will fit in my suitcase but I do not want to replace all of my rods with travel versions, so I was wondering what everyone's opinion on their specific travel rods, brands, lengths, actions, power. price, style anything you want to share.

I am guessing that most people would not recommend the telescopic kind, maybe I am wrong, but my current bias would be towards a 3-4 pc rod.

Let me know what you think
Old 07-01-2018, 06:22 AM

Default Travel rod

I have a four piece shimano travel rod in a 30 inch case was very expensive a long time ago but works great.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:47 AM

I have an ugly stick 3 piece 2x St. Croix 4 piece rods all of them work great ugly stick doesn’t fish quite as nice but they are much more robust while traveling. The St. Croix rods are very nice but 4x the cost and you end up 4x more upset when you break a tip. I recently found out they sell replacement section for the 4 piece rods.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Am starting to wish I had a rod that will fit in my suitcase but I do not want to replace all of my rods with travel versions, so I was wondering what everyone's opinion on their specific travel rods, brands, lengths, actions, power. price, style anything you want to share.

I am guessing that most people would not recommend the telescopic kind, maybe I am wrong, but my current bias would be towards a 3-4 pc rod.

Let me know what you think
Where are you going and what type of fishing will you be doing?
I have an Ugly stick 6'-6" 4 pce which is awesome for travel. But it is a cheap rod and the guides work loose and fall out after a few years but the blank is fairly robust for fish up to 10 lbs and lures to 1 1/2 oz. Also has a 5 yr warrenty so I have gone through 3 of them over the years on the no questions asked return. It casts up to 50 yds which is alright for some minor surf fishing but works well enough in a panga for trolling.
I also have a 5 pce 11'-6" and a 13'-3" telescopic for serious surf fishing. They can cast 3 oz up to 150 yds. The 5 pce is a high end rod at $1000.00 but is very light and really responsive, easily handles fish up to 40 lbs but can be a bit long for trolling. The telescopic I use for back up, it seemed a little gimicky at first but after a few days use I had full trust in it. It costs around $160.00 but only breaks down to 42" which is good for carry on but not in Mexico on the return flight.
I think a 4 pce rod in the 10' range would be the best bet for an all round rod.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:03 AM

I have a 6ft 4 pce GX2 Ugly Stik. Longest section is exactly 20 inches. Its a medium and with all the joints its fairly stiff, i call it a fast rod. Mostly just tip section flexes till you get into bigger fish. Not scared of breaking it its tough. It may not be as nice to fish with as some high end travel rods but it does what its supposed to do well. I use it a lot.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Rapala makes a few awesome pack rods, believe they are the BAJA series.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:34 PM

I haven't seen one in a while but there used to be 2 or 3 piece rods that were made out of solid spring steel. They were square instead of round.
You couldn't break them. They were as flexible as a whip antenna. One of those would be a great travel rod.

Or maybe get one of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pocket.jpg (64.4 KB, 19 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-02-2018, 02:37 PM

TFO sells a number of 3 piece travel rods

https://tforods.ca/collections/conve...t=998788956204

https://tforods.ca/collections/conve...-spinning-rods
Old 07-02-2018, 02:56 PM

I have a Fenwick methods travel rod and I take it all over. It’s been outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 05:09 PM

The Fenwick HMG Travel rods come as 4 piece rods, but with two extra tip sections making one rod, essentially two. They pack down into the included rod tube, small enough to fit in suitcase, or strap easily to the outside of a backpack.

Fenwick HMG Travel Rod
Old 07-02-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
I have a 6ft 4 pce GX2 Ugly Stik. Longest section is exactly 20 inches. Its a medium and with all the joints its fairly stiff, i call it a fast rod. Mostly just tip section flexes till you get into bigger fish. Not scared of breaking it its tough. It may not be as nice to fish with as some high end travel rods but it does what its supposed to do well. I use it a lot.
I have the original version of this rod, they call it a medium action but Id consider it a med heavy rod (it is actually stiffer than some rods with med heavy printed on them). Using it for mountain whitefish takes a deft hand not to tear the hook out, that's for sure. The 6.5 foot version is more of a medium action and a better multi purpose rod. The new G2X has better rod guides, no inserts to get knocked out.

Not the lightest of wands but it will catch fish, its cheap and tough.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:14 PM

Need way more info.

Travel to where? Down east for pike, walleye bass? Florida, Mexico, Hawaii etc for saltwater(and if so beach casting or boat rod etc)?

I have a Fenwick Eagle, 2 Fenwick Methods, St. Croix Tidemaster and Daiwa Saltiga travel rods. I like all of them for what they are.

Fenwick Methods are nice since you can make 4 different rods, really nice to be able to have both a M and MH to choose from without having to need 2 rods.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:53 PM
Banned

Technically all of my rods are travel rods.

I wouldn’t waste money on nothing more than a two piece and using a good carrying case or holder.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Technically all of my rods are travel rods.

I wouldn’t waste money on nothing more than a two piece and using a good carrying case or holder.
You like paying oversize luggage fees?

I went to Florida this spring, took 4 rods and reels with me, all in my main luggage so no extra charge.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
Rapala makes a few awesome pack rods, believe they are the BAJA series.
I found the Rapala rods to be of poor quality. The 11'-6" was alright to cast but the 13'-6" was too floppy. And the guide inserts started to fall out after only one trip. If you are going on a fishing trip then quality needs to enter the equation. And also backup for everything in case something happens.
This year my buddy was able to rent some gear from a local shop so that is another option if it is available where you are going.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonald View Post
I found the Rapala rods to be of poor quality. The 11'-6" was alright to cast but the 13'-6" was too floppy. And the guide inserts started to fall out after only one trip. If you are going on a fishing trip then quality needs to enter the equation. And also backup for everything in case something happens.
This year my buddy was able to rent some gear from a local shop so that is another option if it is available where you are going.
I also found the rapala rods to be poor quality. The seats hold the reel in on my casting rod were too shallow and my reel kept busting loose. I had to Mcguyver a fix with a red hot butter knife to cut the seats deeper into the plastic. Not what I wanted to be doing in a Mexican hotel room.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
You like paying oversize luggage fees?

I went to Florida this spring, took 4 rods and reels with me, all in my main luggage so no extra charge.
Depends on what I was looking to do.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:23 PM

Default Travel rod

I bought an Eagle claw travel rod and have had no issues with it, they come with a little pack case that protects them while travelling ( behind the seat of the truck, etc). I’m sure it’s far from “ the best” but I’ve done well with it. On a side note, I will not buy anymore Rapala icefishing rods after having two break on me, one on a hookset on a pike and the other with what might have been my PB rainbow just under the ice.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
I bought an Eagle claw travel rod and have had no issues with it, they come with a little pack case that protects them while travelling ( behind the seat of the truck, etc). I’m sure it’s far from “ the best” but I’ve done well with it.
Interesting as I was looking at them just the other day....Add to what you said, a Lifetime Warranty.....not sure of the details there?

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:43 AM

I bought an Eagle Claw takedown rod many years ago for my father .
It went to Mexico, New Zealand , and fished many rivers and lakes in Canada .
Soft action spinning or reverse the handle for a fly rod .
My son still uses it .
Cat
Old 07-06-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I also found the rapala rods to be poor quality. The seats hold the reel in on my casting rod were too shallow and my reel kept busting loose. I had to Mcguyver a fix with a red hot butter knife to cut the seats deeper into the plastic. Not what I wanted to be doing in a Mexican hotel room.
Lol, I bet those maids thought something very different was going on when they saw the charred butter knives.

Tags
fishing rod, travel