Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 03:03 PM

Default Finally joined the Tyee club (pic heavy)

Just got home from Prince Rupert, had to really work for them this year but we got it done. My first Tyee was an epic battle I've never felt that much power in a fish before. As soon as I set the hook I knew it was go time it took off on a screaming run then pulled a 180 and came right at the boat full tilt that got heart going. Then it turned and ran straight for the rock wall and did an aerial display that was followed by a 100m screaming run on the surface. I can still picture it right now as I'm typing. After another 5 or 6 screaming runs I landed the fish. I will never forget that fight for the rest of my life. After that fish I landed another nice 24lb spring. The last day was defiantly epic. It was my Dads first time on the ocean and he is hooked hopefully it will be open next year

Last edited by justinO; 07-21-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:26 PM

Very nice Great job! Ahh yes, the thrill of battling that first Tyee is awesome. I will always remember mine as well. Glad you were fortunate enough to share all that with your dad, I didn’t get to, but I was with good friends and we all lit it up too. Also caught my PB Northern Coho that trip, 16 lbs 4oz and a 170 lb Hali. Love the salt this time of year
Old 07-21-2018, 04:50 PM

sorry bud , but to join the tyee club you have to catch 30 lbs + on 20lb test on a single action reel ( knuckle duster) l, IN a MAN powered craft . ON a artificial lure. THe term Tyee has drifted to any 30LB plus fish . But you are not in the club. You just caught a big fish. Nothing wrong with that though. But NO!!! TYEE!!!!
Old 07-21-2018, 05:01 PM
Banned

Good Job
Old 07-21-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokajoe View Post
sorry bud , but to join the tyee club you have to catch 30 lbs + on 20lb test on a single action reel ( knuckle duster) l, IN a MAN powered craft . ON a artificial lure. THe term Tyee has drifted to any 30LB plus fish . But you are not in the club. You just caught a big fish. Nothing wrong with that though. But NO!!! TYEE!!!!
I agree I am NOT in the true TYEE club. It would be hard to row 25 miles off shore. I'll settle for being in the 30 lb + Chinook salmon club
(usually a fish referred to as a Tyee) .

I was close to checking off all the criteria.
Fish 30lb+ check
Mooching rod and reel check, with 30 lb braid no check lol
Man Powered Craft hahaha
I captain my own boat not guided check
And I caught it on a herring no check

I am not in the club .

Last edited by justinO; 07-21-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Nice Tyee Justin! Congrats on your first.

Any Chinook over 30 is a Tyee, doesn’t matter where you caught it. The name Tyee was also around long before the club started...
Old 07-21-2018, 06:16 PM

My entrance to the "Tyee club" was derailed by a bloody seal.......dammit.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:17 PM

All good very nice
Old 07-21-2018, 06:17 PM

Gratz Justin...beauty fish- thanks for posting.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:30 PM

Good for you , wonderful fish . Better than any I ever caught. Maybe one day we will both join the tyee club.But a BC 169 whitetail is still not a BC 170 whitetail.
Gotta make the cut, or there is no reason for the mark.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:37 PM

Looks like a awesome trip
Old 07-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokajoe View Post
Good for you , wonderful fish . Better than any I ever caught. Maybe one day we will both join the tyee club.But a BC 169 whitetail is still not a BC 170 whitetail.
Gotta make the cut, or there is no reason for the mark.
Would be more like a 175 inch whitetail not being a pope and young buck because it wasn't killed with a recurve.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justino View Post
would be more like a 175 inch whitetail not being a pope and young buck because it wasn't killed with a recurve.

lol......
Old 07-21-2018, 07:45 PM

Congratulations. I’m jealous. I’ve been close with numerous 25 lb’ers and I’m ok with not joining the club. Wrestling up and landing a 6’ 150 lb Hali from 500’ down put me in my own “f’ ya” club. Good enough for me.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Congratulations. I’m jealous. I’ve been close with numerous 25 lb’ers and I’m ok with not joining the club. Wrestling up and landing a 6’ 150 lb Hali from 500’ down put me in my own “f’ ya” club. Good enough for me.
From 500 down that's the amputate my arms after club hahah
Old 07-22-2018, 05:30 AM

Looks like an awesome trip!
Old 07-22-2018, 06:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Club fun is what you have gotten into, great pics, looks like a blast!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-22-2018, 09:18 AM

Nice work and nice fish! I caught a 29 LBer last year in the QC so still haven't hit the Tyee club. The power of those fish is amazing. I had actually hooked a much larger, probably 40 LBs earlier. The guide asked that I horse it in as a sea lion was near and had already headed our way. Got it up to the boat, he missed the first chance at netting it and then it flipped off. The 29 LBer was caught on the last few minutes of the day and I still won fish of the day money. I love eating halibut but fishing for them, not so much. Too much work!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned

Nice tyee!!
Old 07-22-2018, 11:22 AM

Way to go! Nice Tyee!!

I saw your boat there, didn't put 2 and 2 together or would have said hi!

It was rough sledding for sure, but great fun. I brought home a 25 and a 30 as well.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-22-2018, 11:29 AM

Nice fish .... tyee by my standards !! I had the privilege of netting Ken's tyee last week. Big, strong, hard fighting fish. Definitely work to find salmon off Rupert this year, and we had to grind for every fish that we caught.

While there may be strict standards for entry into the Campbell River Tyee Club (single action reel, rowboat etc ...) 30 lbs plus is the accepted standard anywhere I have fished on the west coast ...... and it has been a few years.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:47 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
While there may be strict standards for entry into the Campbell River Tyee Club (single action reel, rowboat etc ...) 30 lbs plus is the accepted standard anywhere I have fished on the west coast ...... and it has been a few years.
Why YES, yes it is indeed!

Congrats on the TYEE!!
Those smiles certainly tell a LOT about your trip!
Awesome!!

As for the tougher efforts to find salmon these days, that is occurring up and down the coast completely. We are (finally) taking steps to address that very issue, and with any luck finding them may get a little bit easier due to those efforts for your next trip over!!

Excellent Report & Pictures!!

Cheers!
Nog
Old 07-22-2018, 04:15 PM

Now that’s a fish congratulations special trip with your father memories an stories for both of you to remember. Were you pulling a flasher in combination with you herring?
Old 07-22-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Way to go! Nice Tyee!!

I saw your boat there, didn't put 2 and 2 together or would have said hi!

It was rough sledding for sure, but great fun. I brought home a 25 and a 30 as well.
Hey Ken to bad we missed each other. Yep was a tough go for the salmon grinded out 5 coho and 3 springs only lost 1 fish but it was another nice spring fought it for 3 mins then swam mach 1 at the boat and I lost it. Sounds like you still landed a few beauty springs I'd trade 2 big springs for 20 coho anyday lol. We had lots of fun catching bottom fish though my Dads favorite was the Black Rockfish caught a pile of them.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Now that’s a fish congratulations special trip with your father memories an stories for both of you to remember. Were you pulling a flasher in combination with you herring?
Thanks and I was doing a bit of everything tried it all but I did catch the 2 big springs on flasher inline with herring. Not sure if any of that mattered think it was more just dragging a bait by a fish as they were few and far between. The big spring I lost was on dummy flasher.