Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 09:04 AM

Default 12' Jon Boat vs. 12' Aluminum

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a used boat this spring for use on "bigger waters," (specifically Maligne). Typically when fishing lakes, my float tube does the trick nicely, but there are a couple areas I frequent where it just doesn't suffice. I have no need for an outboard gas motor and will be purchasing an electric to go with the boat. I want something lightweight and with the ability to transport in the box of my 1/2 ton truck ideally. My question(s) are...I like the idea of a Jon Boat for stability (stand up casting/fishing, etc) but wonder how it will fare on bigger water with an electric as opposed to an Aluminum V-hull? Which is the better "all around Boat" for use with an electric motor? It makes sense that an Aluminum V would move better through the water than a flat bottomed Jon, but is the difference significant? Does anyone run a Jon Boat on Maligne? Any issues or concerns? Looking for opinions and recommendations. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:40 AM

I would think that "bigger waters," (specifically Maligne)" means bigger waves and that is the one area a jon was not designed for. For "bigger waters" I would get a 14 ft alum. A little bit heavier but way more stable.

Good luck with what ever you get.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 AM

Ive got both albeit in 14" versions... We run the jon with a 35# troll and it's perfect for hitting the bay I'm in on a calm day. The tinny is run with the same troll (and the added weight of a 20 horse) and it seems to move about the same.
That said, I don't think you'll get enough speed on either for the hull to make too much of a difference; Neither will get on plane and neither will have a chance to cut through waves/rollers.
Choose one that is the most comfortable and convenient to transport and you'll be good. Just keep in mind a good mid lake wind will that puppy alot harder than a troller will.
IMO if I was to pick one to run strictly on a troller, something to crawl shallows and shorelines, I'd choose the jon everyday. If there was even a slight chance I'd be throwing a 2 stroke and hitting big water, vhull hands down.

Sent from my T06 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 12:40 PM

I have a 12ft Jon boat and I love it. Like everything there is
Some draw backs. It's a littler slower moving in the water and it's not designed for big waves. That's being said I've been in some medium waves on devils lake and baptiste lake and we managed just fine. The best thing about those boasts is stability, you can stand, cast, move around just fine with that flat bottom. Mine weights something like 80lbs which is perfect for One guy to load and unload. My vote is jon boat
Old 01-31-2017, 12:48 PM

Some great points so far guys. I very much appreciate all the feedback. I believe a 14' is too big of a boat for the back of a 1/2 ton and likely too heavy to be easily handled by one guy.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:06 PM

Jon boats are meant for stillwaters imo. If your set on one pls. get the widesst sob that you can afford min 16" sides welded.Lowe has a 1240 available this year..i fish out of a 10' spratley with 45"floor welded etc.bought in 97,best boat i have ever owned..55 traxxis t/mtr.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Jon boats are meant for stillwaters imo. If your set on one pls. get the widesst sob that you can afford min 16" sides welded.Lowe has a 1240 available this year..i fish out of a 10' spratley with 45"floor welded etc.bought in 97,best boat i have ever owned..55 traxxis t/mtr.
Agreed, Jons are great for calm water/bays/smaller bodies of water, etc. Have you had much experience fishing with that boat on bigger water, wind, waves, etc? Curious how it handles? I've been on Maligne many times where I'll see sun, wind, rain and snow all in the matter of a single afternoon. We currently fish out of a 14' Aluminum V (my dad's boat). I'm just wondering if in "less than ideal conditions" considering wind, waves, and an hour boat ride back to the launch with an electric if the Jon would be up for the job...
Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM

Marlon makes a nice wide welded jon. I used to do all my fishing out of a 10 and then 14 foot John. Just stay close to shore and be smart about it.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I would think that "bigger waters," (specifically Maligne)" means bigger waves and that is the one area a jon was not designed for. For "bigger waters" I would get a 14 ft alum. A little bit heavier but way more stable.

Good luck with what ever you get.
Agree. Jon boat might be a good option for small lakes and also rivers.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:03 PM

For stability and portability its tough to beat a zodiac style inflatable. you can get them with the high pressure air deck floors which make them easier to set up and also even lighter.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
For stability and portability its tough to beat a zodiac style inflatable. you can get them with the high pressure air deck floors which make them easier to set up and also even lighter.
All around, I agree a good inflatable would be the way to go, especially to get in to the remote lakes.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
All around, I agree a good inflatable would be the way to go, especially to get in to the remote lakes.
Remote lakes are my bread and butter. That's where my float tube excels
Old 01-31-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzy View Post
Some great points so far guys. I very much appreciate all the feedback. I believe a 14' is too big of a boat for the back of a 1/2 ton and likely too heavy to be easily handled by one guy.
Far too heavy! Mine is a extra wide Crestline, Enough room for 5 guys if everyone is smart with how they fish, but takes those same 5 to move it around without a trailer.
Side note: wider is better but only as much as the bed will allow, I've spent a little too much time trying to get that sucker unwedged from my Long box.

Sent from my T06 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 06:11 PM

My v haul aluminum is fine to stand in as for me as the back is still flat, just the front passenger it's a little more difficult. I've had it in gull lake with big waves, and it's fine as long as you position the boat properly to the oncoming waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 07:43 PM

This thread is very interesting, I'm currently in the same boat ,ha ha trying to figure out which one to get. I'm wondering if an electric trolling motor is enough on a bigger lake like maligne or wabamun, to make it back to shore quickly if needed in a storm. And where would a guy find used boats other than on kijiji.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Agreed, Jons are great for calm water/bays/smaller bodies of water, etc. Have you had much experience fishing with that boat on bigger water, wind, waves, etc? Curious how it handles? I've been on Maligne many times where I'll see sun, wind, rain and snow all in the matter of a single afternoon. We currently fish out of a 14' Aluminum V (my dad's boat). I'm just wondering if in "less than ideal conditions" considering wind, waves, and an hour boat ride back to the launch with an electric if the Jon would be up for the job...
I have fished Police & Bullshead with it.You MUST be aware of the wind.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:39 AM

Thanks a lot for all the replies and insight guys. Gives me a lot to think about and consider before purchasing. Cheers!
Old 02-01-2017, 12:10 PM

Having my 2 stroke evinrude On my 12' tinner is awesome would never want an electric one seen to many people paddling back when the waves pick up haha

Old 02-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genno View Post
Having my 2 stroke evinrude On my 12' tinner is awesome would never want an electric one seen to many people paddling back when the waves pick up haha

Unfortunately that's not an option for me. Lakes in the Parks are Electric motors only...
Old 02-01-2017, 07:34 PM

Default I've had

Quote:
Remote lakes are my bread and butter. That's where my float tube excels
a variety of boats, including inflatable zodiac 11', 12' tinner, canoes of several lengths, 12' flat bottom. It appears, from your above comments, to me, that the inflatable (so long as you get a good one) would be by far your best bet. It is the most "adaptable" by far, in terms of getting it into more remote places, can handle any electric and small gas motors (or even both at once, as mine did in its later years),and is transportable, assembled or unassembled, to almost anywhere, with or without a "truck". It is very safe in unusually inclement windy conditions on larger water(you might get wet, but you won't sink). It can be transported, assembled, etc. by one person, when necessary. It can be used (or adapted, as mine was) on rivers, even fairly severe "white water". Of all the boats I have had or used, by far the most versatile and economic choice for remote and small water bodies.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
a variety of boats, including inflatable zodiac 11', 12' tinner, canoes of several lengths, 12' flat bottom. It appears, from your above comments, to me, that the inflatable (so long as you get a good one) would be by far your best bet. It is the most "adaptable" by far, in terms of getting it into more remote places, can handle any electric and small gas motors (or even both at once, as mine did in its later years),and is transportable, assembled or unassembled, to almost anywhere, with or without a "truck". It is very safe in unusually inclement windy conditions on larger water(you might get wet, but you won't sink). It can be transported, assembled, etc. by one person, when necessary. It can be used (or adapted, as mine was) on rivers, even fairly severe "white water". Of all the boats I have had or used, by far the most versatile and economic choice for remote and small water bodies.
Interesting...not something I gave much consideration to. I always kind of wrote off the inflatables as "cheap" and "less desireable" with the exception of a zodiac or equivalent. No reason other than my own ignorance I guess. You make some very good and valid points. I will definitely look into this. Thank you.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:17 PM

First boat I bought was a 12 ft Harbercraft ,great boat . But I wish I went with a 14 .
It started in the back of the truck , then got tired of hauling it out and the 9.9
Built a trailer and that was sweet. Boat was only stable in the back 4 feet.
If you had a passenger in the front it would not handle so good if he was not dead center . Boat did not like white caps as it was to light.
If i would buy a 12 ft again it would be a jons boat for the use in rivers and small trout ponds
If i would buy a v haul min would be a 14 ft in Alberta lakes.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
Schmedlap how are the inflatables in the wind? The ones I have been in tracked poorly with side winds and we had a bugger of a time trying to steer the darn things.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:17 AM

The biggest drawback to inflatables - is they require quite a bit of battery juice to get them moving. It has been my experience a 12' inflatable will require significantly more battery to go the same distance as a 12' tinner might if there is the slightest amount of wind out there.

They are also quite susceptible to getting pushed around on the wind and tracking them at low speed can be a real pain in the butt.

However, they are portable, relatively light (just about the same as a V hull but more than a Jon), the weight capacity is huge and are the safest option in the chop.

The floor areas, however, are quite small - as the pontoons take up almost half the width of the boat when you add it up.

They are very stable and a big fat guy can stand on one side of the pontoon in a boat by himself and it won't tip over.

If battery power is a concern if you are going a ways down the lake - I guess you could carry a couple extra batteries in there with the added weight capacity.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Instead of an inflatable, give some thought to a folding boat. I have one of the portabote brand ones. It can take a gas engine or an electric motor. 1 person can carry it, once folded its like a giant surfboard. You can stand in it with no problem, its close to impossible to tip. I can drive it straight up onto shore without worrying about punctures too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boat1.jpg (56.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Boat3.jpg (27.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Take a good look at an inflatable.I have an 8'6" Zodiac,most stable boat in my opinion and very portable.Will fit into my wife's Fiesta or if I leave it inflated I can load it on my Ranger no problem doing it myself.I use an electric trolling motor,not great for long distance because it is on the slow side but for trolling and getting to spots that are not to far away it's the way to go,no starting it up if you drift away just a twist of the wrist and you're off,not to mention no exhaust fumes to smell
Fire departments and the military use them so they can't be all that bad
I had a 12'6" Zodiac years ago and now I wish I had never sold it
Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedmon View Post
Instead of an inflatable, give some thought to a folding boat. I have one of the portabote brand ones. It can take a gas engine or an electric motor. 1 person can carry it, once folded its like a giant surfboard. You can stand in it with no problem, its close to impossible to tip. I can drive it straight up onto shore without worrying about punctures too.

I have one too! It's great. And since it flexes a bit it's a really comfy ride actually.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Schmedlap how are the inflatables in the wind? The ones I have been in tracked poorly with side winds and we had a bugger of a time trying to steer the darn things.
if you are using an average electric to propel. And it depends on the size of the inflatable, how low it sits in the water, and whether it has a keel of any kind - the zodiacs for example have, generally, inflatable keels which help with this. But, if you are using a high thrust (say 55lb.) electric (of course this will use up your battery juice much faster when using the higher prop speeds) or a sufficient gas motor (even a 5hp or so) you will able to maneuver and get to where you want to go with not much problem. In terms of trying to anchor or hold a spot or slow troll in a stiff breeze it is not really much different than the average 12' tinner.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:16 AM

Have run the traditional olive drab green, 1436 jon boat in rivers and lakes. It wasn't bad for stability. Standing was not an issue. It took waves with two guys and gear better than I thought as well. Never did tip it, although I tried!

If you're in the market for a jon boat, like I was two years ago - check out Marlon.

Marlon 10 & 12 Jon Boats

I went with the 14 for the thicker hull, and overall size. It's by far the biggest 14ft boat I have seen - it has a 63 inch beam, yet two people can lift it easily. Looking at other brands specifications, Marlon won out by comparison.
Marlon 14 Jon Boat

Since buying it, I put a deck and casting platform at the stern in along with a bottom coating designed for air-boats, called Wetlander since I use it in rocky bottom lakes and rivers. So far it has been a great investment in protecting my boat, reduces friction too.

Regular power is a 20hp Yamaha 4stroke, but it did very well under electric power, as it drafts very little water.

So far, I've had it in 3-4 foot waves and it handled great, did not take on water. Cool thing to add - it's a Canadian company and the boats are built here taking advice for the design from hunters and fishermen.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:35 AM

Have you ever thought of getting a boat loader. You can load and unload the boat yourself, l have a wc 14 Lund deep and wide very stable and I can go out alone and unload and load myself. As long as you can backup to the water your good to go. There are several manufacturers that you can choose from. I found mine used on kijiji for 500 bucks, it's a real back saver and no fighting with the wife trying to load.

Loadit.com will show you how they work.