Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2017, 07:34 AM

Amazon.ca has them as well. I picked one up at BPS when it first opened(they don't sell them anymore).
Old 02-06-2017, 03:13 PM

Found this info in an article warning about this practice.

Single use non-refillable gas cylinders are NOT manufactured to withstand refilling or reuse. *They are not even pressure-tested after manufacturing, just dunked underwater to check for leaks after being filled with LP and that's it. *Another very important point is that they are filled at the factory with dehumidified propane so they do not rust from the inside out. *When they are refilled with one of these little adapters they are being filled with NON-dehumidified propane and those cylinders will begin to rust on the inside- where YOU cannot see it.

Also if one ever does have a fire caused by a refilled tank any insurance claim may be denied.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribfisher View Post
Also if one ever does have a fire caused by a refilled tank any insurance claim may be denied.
Be pretty difficult to prove that the tank was refilled. Especially if there's a fire.

I do refill my tanks. Usually a few times then toss them as I'm aware of the rust issue. There is absolutely a danger to doing this but I think the warnings are over zealous. Much of those warnings are for legal/regulatory reasons (covering butts) and are intended for the lowest common denominator. I weigh my tanks to ensure they are only filled to ~80% as well.

I'm not arguing that this is a safe practice, but at the end of the day I think it's probably relatively safer than a lot of things I do already. Riding a motorcycle, walking and driving onto frozen lakes and even fishing are all surprisingly dangerous to our health. I'm far more likely to be hurt or killed on my morning commute than from the dozen or so 1 lb bottles I refill each year. Sure, I am increasing my overall probability of being hurt or killed in refilling those bottles, but my belief is that it's a marginal increase. And if the marginal risk posed by the 1lb bottles keeps me awake at night, than I damn well better stop drinking, fishing, spending time outdoors and operating motor vehicles since these are far more likely to cause me to lose my grip on this mortal coil.

I only did a brief search, but my challenge to the AO folks would be to find news articles on people who have been hurt refilling their 1 lb tanks. Not exactly scientific, but I'm not sure what other evidence you could refer to.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:41 PM

I picked up an 11lb propane tank and the "Mr Heater" adapter hose. It is the buddy style heater and is only 2 years old. I can run it perfectly fine in any temperature on a 1lb bottle. With the 11 lb bottle and the adapter hose it only seems to work well -10C or better...which defeats the purpose. Wrong hose tank combo maybe? It might run to a short while on the 11 lb but fizzles out in about 5-10 minutes. Seems to lose pressure even with valve fully open. Thoughts?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I picked up an 11lb propane tank and the "Mr Heater" adapter hose. It is the buddy style heater and is only 2 years old. I can run it perfectly fine in any temperature on a 1lb bottle. With the 11 lb bottle and the adapter hose it only seems to work well -10C or better...which defeats the purpose. Wrong hose tank combo maybe? It might run to a short while on the 11 lb but fizzles out in about 5-10 minutes. Seems to lose pressure even with valve fully open. Thoughts?
Are you running it with a filter? If not - it may be that the bulk propane is creating just enough condensate to interrupt the fuel flow when it warms up.

I'd say it's worth a try .....

https://www.amazon.ca/Mr-Heater-Port...propane+filter
Old 02-06-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
If you are using a filter(which you should, oils in the hose leach out and will wreck heater if not) maybe it is a bad filter. Not sure why else it wouldn't work properly.

According to their manuals you should buy a new filter every year.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Are you running it with a filter? If not - it may be that the bulk propane is creating just enough condensate to interrupt the fuel flow when it warms up.

I'd say it's worth a try .....

https://www.amazon.ca/Mr-Heater-Port...propane+filter
Let me add a comment - After adding a filter to mine - it ran hotter, cleaner, was easier to light and seemed to stay lit much better.

Before the filter, it was temperamental sometimes.

Anyways - just a theory worth trying.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Or backpack propane bottle with over the shoulder adapter hose.
Hmmmmm...

And this summer the campsites will be packed solid in Jasper because of the freebe pass..... I could throw the pack on , c/w with the illegal adapter and ride around the campsite on my mtn bike... ""MtnGuy's Mobile Refill Service''

I like it!!!!!
Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Let me add a comment - After adding a filter to mine - it ran hotter, cleaner, was easier to light and seemed to stay lit much better.

Before the filter, it was temperamental sometimes.

Anyways - just a theory worth trying.
If it doesn't come with a filter, then no. So I'm assuming not. What you just said here is exactly what I'm experiencing, Well put! Thanks EZM

Edit: Looked up the filter and I'm for sure not running one. Now the entire conversation makes sense. Thanks again Looks like a trip to Princes Auto for me...