Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2018, 11:22 AM

Default Fishing near Brazeau Group Camp

I will be camping on the Brazeau Reservoir in Mid July. I've never been to this area before. Just curious if anyone is willing to share some fishing information. I don't want your spots or information on access, I'll figure that out while I am there.

Just curious as to what people catch in the reservoir and if they have any creeks or canals or side channels that they would recommend. I fly fish and spin fish so I am versatile. I have my 17.5 foot prospector canoe and waders so I am up for anything. Just looking for some stories on what people catch and an idea of catch rates. Is it like swan lake where you fish 100 hours before getting a take or is it more suitable for fishing with young kids. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:39 PM

A person needs to be careful when boating. There are areas that have deadhead trees under the surface. The pike seem to like those areas. By the road that goes along the West Canal there is a stocked trout pond too. Great for kids. It's a couple miles west of the powerhouse on the east end of the canal. Otherwise, I hope someone else offers some advice.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-03-2018, 06:08 PM

We caught pike from shore right below the campsite, also caught pike from shore in the canal part just casting off the rocks right across the road from the trout pond (the rainbows weren’t cooperating) nothing fancy just spoons and yellow twister tail jigs. Never boated it, we caught three in a half hour-hour by the pond, and would cast for 15 min or so every now and then below the campsites (ours was basically just a parking lot with plug ins) and got the occasional hookup, I’ve heard of other species in there but we caught only pike, small to medium sized, nothing big.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:12 PM

Default Perfect thanks

I will pack my pike gear for sure and some lighter gear for chasing the rainbows in the burrow pit #1. Thanks for the heads up about the boating hazards. We will just have our canoe with no motor. Just our human powered paddles so we should survive the deadheads just fine. I've read there is supposed to be bull trout in the reservoir as well. However, they don't appear to be overly abundant so I won't be specifically targeting them. Are there walleye anywhere there too. Don't plan to keep anything just wondered about other species.

Thanks for the comments.

Regards
Old 07-05-2018, 02:13 PM

I don,t know how the regs apply today, but we used to catch a lot of big burbot out of the canal right below the road. Simply used a smelt a couple inches off the bottom. Caught one there that fed five people.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:28 PM

From every one I have talked to this lake has no more fish.
It used to be my go to lake back in the 70 and 80's