Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2022, 02:06 PM

Default Flying with a small dog.

I have a flight to Toronto booked for next Wednesday, my friend who I had lined up to look after my 15 year old Jack Russel Terrorist appears to be running into trouble and may not be able to keep him for me. I’m considering taking him with me.

Anyone ever flown with a small dog?
Old 05-12-2022, 02:18 PM

flown small puppies with me with westjet, $50 and great experience. have also shipped small and bigger dogs on there own , they all go cargo but considerably more money and lots of weather restrictions more so state side cause it just doesn't get too hot here lol.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:36 AM

The dog will have to travel underneath in the cargo hold, unless you have him designated as an "emotional support animal". But that takes a few days to get sorted, forms for the vet to fill out etc...

And you have to book the pet into your flight at time of booking, or else you run the risk of "no more pets allowed in the cargo hold" (ask me how I know !)...
Old 05-13-2022, 08:23 AM

Where are you at? Check Kijiji for petsitters. My sister does that in Lethbridge.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:27 AM

According to Air Canada he can ride as carry on baggage so long as he fits in an approved carrier that he can stand, lay down and turn around in. Goes under the seat ahead of you.

I know my ex flew with one of our terriers years ago on West Jet and I don’t think it was an issue. I think they did give him an over the counter sedative though to help keep him quiet and settled on the flight. I think it was Gravol but I’m not sure anymore?
Old 05-13-2022, 08:34 AM

Personally, I prefer airplanes.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-13-2022, 08:40 AM

Our daughter flew from Vic to Edm past Christmas with her new spaniel pup under the seat in front of her with no issues ($50 westjet) . However I was on a Vancouver to Vic 20 min flight last summer where a small dog two rows in front cryed loudly the whole flight thankfully only 20 mins but can you not take the damn ferry?
Old 05-13-2022, 11:36 AM

So, what do you do with the dog when you get there? Kennel here would seem to be the best option.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-13-2022, 01:16 PM

The only kennel I know here and trust as the owners are good friends are completely booked and have a waiting list of more than 10.

If I take him with me it is easy to travel with him once I get there.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:00 PM

We flew WJ to Mexico in April and there were lots of dogs going down and a few coming back. There was at least 1 dachshund on the way down and they flew in the cabin. My bro has done it in the past with a soft sided carrier. As long as it fits under the seat. I think they only allow so many also, so it’s probably best to call the airline and see if your flight can accommodate a pet.

Here is WJ’s policy

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/pets
Old 05-13-2022, 02:05 PM

Yes I called the airline and they said I could for $100+ tax with an approved carrier. But how the heck can you be sure they will approve it when you get there.

Like what is they say he is too big?

The rules say needs to be able to stand up, lay down and turn around inside the carrier. Which I think he will be able to but I’d hate to be standing at check in an hour before your flight and be told it’s a no go.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Yes I called the airline and they said I could for $100+ tax with an approved carrier. But how the heck can you be sure they will approve it when you get there.

Like what is they say he is too big?

The rules say needs to be able to stand up, lay down and turn around inside the carrier. Which I think he will be able to but I’d hate to be standing at check in an hour before your flight and be told it’s a no go.
This is what it says about kennel size:

Your kennel is considered to be your personal item in your carry-on baggage allowance. You may need to adjust your kennel to fit within the maximum height and depth available beneath the seat. Please note, space beneath the seat varies by aircraft type.
41 cm L x 21.5 cm H x
25.4 cm W (16 in. L x 8.5 in. H x 10 in. W)
Kennel must be:
Soft-sided
Airline-approved
Leak-proof
Secure
Well-ventilated
Kennel must not be:
Able to allow the animal's head to stick out
A duffle bag, gym bag or other type of non-kennel bag