Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 05:24 PM

Lightbulb my trick to mark spots using bathymetric and google maps

So I've developed a way to mark a spot on google earth, using the bathymetric maps, overlayed onto google earth. I then mark spots of interest, and then save them on google maps, so when I'm out on the water I can use my phone to GPS me to them.
Kind of a poor mans Navionics, or lakemaster if you will. It works great, yet with a sonar it can much better understand what the bottom looks like under you. I have a GPS HB sonar, so I mark spots on it once the phone gets me there, so I don't need both after trip 1.

Its a little convoluted, and I'm not sure why Google hasn't made this task much easier, by simply letting you save spots to google maps with an option on Google earth. I've looked to see if theres a way, but no dice. If anyone knows of a way, I'd appreciate the tip.

So, heres a run down of what I do. I'll post pictures of screen shots below with details.
I download the Bathymetric maps from the government site. Their PDF, so you either screen shot the PDF on screen to get an image to work with, since the PDF is password edit protected. Or use a program or online service to unlock the PDF, and convert it to an image.
Now I use Photoshop to edit and manipulate the images, but there are other options. You don't need to do much, just some cropping really. I do the lake in 2-4 sections as its easier to line up with google earth. So once I have my half or less of a lake image, I go to GE (Google earth), and go to the desired location.
Next you select "add image overlay" from the top "add" menu item at the top. select the image you've made from the Bathymetric map.From there you'll need to use the 6 green points to enlarge or shrink the image. Also the diamond on the left of the image will rotate.
This part takes some time. Make sure the google earth is set to a straight down view (click and hold mouse wheel). I recommend using roads and other landmarks to help. slide the opacity or transparency slider so see both landmarks at the same time. I zoom in on the corners, and it never "perfectly" lines up 100%. thats why the smaller the picture you start with the more accurate you will be at lining up. You can and should overlap the images, to help you line up things.I didn't screen shot that process, but if you can get one to work, thats not a problem.
Once your done aligning the overlay, set the transparency to max and name it and click ok. Now you can scout for steep drop offs and sunken humps. Mark them with the GE 'add placemark' (thumbtack icon). I'll often use a few to give me the 4 corners of a hump, or a line following a contour, etc.
when you have the place-mark properties up, copy the GPS coordinates, and paste them into your browser or Google map app. Since your on a PC a browser window is much easier. You have to copy and paste the coordinates half / one at a time (Long & Lat). hit search on Google maps once the coordinates are both in, and then select "save". I save them to "Starred" places, but do as you like. You can also select "send to your phone, or email, or someone elses number.
Now you have the location available on your phone, and as long as you have data, your poor mans lakemaster is ready to go.

I'll start a reply with the images of screen shots.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:35 PM

I do it all the time. Have most of the lakes I fish that have bathy charts in my files. Having Nav chip on finder is better on the water but at home it is good to preview your fishing plans before you head out. Here is a link to a video that makes it easy for all and there are many more on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpfvA__bugQ
Old 08-10-2018, 05:58 PM

So here is the Rolling Hills Bathymetric PDF, I used for an example.

This is the online program I used to remove the password protection and convert it to a JPG

This is me opening the converted image with Photoshop

Here I've selected the portion of the entire image I want to use, and creating a new image, that I will save as Rolling Hills North

Here I have Google Earth opened up and I'm adding an Image overlay, and selecting the image I saved

Here you select Browse and locate the image.

when you've selected the image it will load, yet likely be way bigger than what you need.

Slide the transparency so you can see both

zoom in on corners once you have it close, and use things like roads to help you. Here you can see the road on both is off by a bit

here its corrected

Things like campgrounds are good to help align. Play with the transparacy slider, quickly going back and forth to see which way the overlay has to move.

Here I've finished manipulating it, and then I'll set the transparency to full overlay (right).

Now we select "add Place-mark"

Here I move the place-mark to the deep oval pool, and name it that. I then highlight the Latitude coordinates and copy them

Next I go to the browser on google, and get me close, or I could just add the coordinates now, but for demonstration I did it this way.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:59 PM

Continued

Copy Lat in GE

Paste it in Google map search bar

Back at GE copy Long

Paste in google maps with a single space between Lat coordinates, hit enter / search and fly to your spot.

on the left you'll see "saved", it will say "save" until you save it. Select that and save it. Again, I use "Starred Places". Next you can "send to phone"

On your phone you should get a notification like this

Then you will be taken there, otherwise it will remain as a star icon for me, and I'm ready to add more.

I'll use the default google maps layer while on data, as you won't need as much data, and its not like you'll recognize a wave or anything, lol.

Hope this helps someone, as it has me. Its a great way to scout a bunch of spots before you head out, and especially if its a first trip. Not only will you learn which spots you've scouted hold fish, but it will help you identify spots better.

Or you can ignore all this and go drop a fist full of cash on a newer sonar, lol. I'm saving 8-)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:48 AM

Looks great! Maybe you mentioned this in the details, as I didn't read fully yet. Wondering if you can save the completed map as a PDF doc.?
Old 08-11-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtracker View Post
Looks great! Maybe you mentioned this in the details, as I didn't read fully yet. Wondering if you can save the completed map as a PDF doc.?

You could for sure. What I forgot to add is that I save a screen shot of the Google Earth with the placemarks, and email it to my phone. That way I have a reference to what my starred / saved spots on Google maps are for. I’ve also printed that screenshot image and even laminated them. I have a small binder with my frequent lakes in GE / Bathymetric overlay images.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtracker View Post
When I do my method I save as pdf and put them on my phone in case I need it when we are out. I also run a copy in color and put in big ziplock on the boat too. We have used these plus the finder and avionics chips too some trips. Great for ice fishing too.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2018, 12:01 PM

This would be useful on some lakes that have very specific spots like small humps etc. Most of the time you can just eyeball the spot on google maps, right click then click what's here and you already have coordinates to enter into fish finder then. That is all I usually do.

Then I go out with my fish finder and map the spot accurately. One of my favourite features since at least up north here I have found most of our available maps are far from accurate.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:20 PM

Exactly and down south with the water levels all over sometimes its easier to just use google to mark the spots and use and convert them to make them useful. I have a few other tricks too but I would need to make a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
This would be useful on some lakes that have very specific spots like small humps etc. Most of the time you can just eyeball the spot on google maps, right click then click what's here and you already have coordinates to enter into fish finder then. That is all I usually do.

Then I go out with my fish finder and map the spot accurately. One of my favourite features since at least up north here I have found most of our available maps are far from accurate.