Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Default Alexapure/Berkey water filters

Does anyone have one of these and could answer a few questions?

I have been looking for something to replace the Brita filters which usually seem to clog to an extremely low rate in 3-4 weeks and well under the "151 litres"

The water in town is fairly high in mineral content so are you able to clean the filters once they start to slow down or is it once they are plugged they are plugged? If you can clean them is it just with a soft brush or the like? I think the Alexapure filters are ceramic on the outside while Berkey black filters are carbon.

What is the average filter rate with a single filter? A gallon per hour or hours per gallon?

Is the spigot slow? Can you increase the flow rate by making an air gap where the upper and lower halves join?

Any other tips or things I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:02 AM

We bought a Berkey, because our well water is undrinkable. Wife said it would be great, no more buying bottled water, cheaper than a rev OS, no maintenance of a distiller. I said if they were so good, why doesn’t everyone have one?

We bought it, $450+ dollars. The filters take out everything except salt. The water is terrible, ok for cooking, still can’t drink it, still buying water.

Wife looks after it, but the filters seem to last a while between cleaning. Takes about 2 hours to filter a tank full of water.

All in all, for our purposes, it’s junk.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
We bought a Berkey, because our well water is undrinkable. Wife said it would be great, no more buying bottled water, cheaper than a rev OS, no maintenance of a distiller. I said if they were so good, why doesn’t everyone have one?

We bought it, $450+ dollars. The filters take out everything except salt. The water is terrible, ok for cooking, still can’t drink it, still buying water.

Wife looks after it, but the filters seem to last a while between cleaning. Takes about 2 hours to filter a tank full of water.

All in all, for our purposes, it’s junk.
I have the complete opposite experience I wouldn't trade my Berkey for anything.

Filters are easy to clean, scrub with the pad provided and repurge.

My 6 gallon unit with 2 filters takes about 4 hours to filter a full reservoir.

You can add up to 6 more filters each wil increase filter speed.

Spigots flow depends on how full the reservoir is, takes 30 seconds to fill a two litre jug until nearly empty.

Buy the stand and the santevia alkaline mineral stones.

Best money I EVER spent.

Best water I have ever consumed.period.

https://purifi.ca/