Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2023, 08:37 PM

Default Towing with a GM Suburban

I bought a 2013 Chevy suburban. Half ton chassis with the 5.3 L V8. The truck is supposed to replace is 2011 Toyota tundra.

I really like just about everything about the truck. It is so versatile, drives nice and smooth. And it just looks cool.

But we went for a first camping trip this weekend, and I have to say with towing, it is quite disappointing. it doesn’t have the power the tundra has, and kept downshifting as we went. I notice a lot of these trucks seem to go through transmissions at some point. I think I know why now. That tranny was working overtime pulling a 19 foot/4600pound trailer (dry weight).

The other issue was the tail wagging the dog. We had a bit of wind… Not too much, but enough to give the trailer a little bit of a wobble at times. I could really feel it in the suburban. It was a bit unnerving a couple of times. (and I was using a weight distribution hitch) The tundra has a very stiff and unforgiving suspension. It gets tiring just driving around town… You feel every single little pothole and crack in the road. But no issues with the trailer pushing the truck around. It just doesn’t. I guess that’s the trade-off.

I really would love the suburban to work out. But maybe it’s not up to the job of towing. I kept the tundra, because I know it’s a great truck, and I’m kind of glad that I did at this point.

Curious on other peoples experiences, and comments.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:01 PM

I have a 2015 burb. 5.3 has great rear suspension with auto air bags, with stablizer bars towed a 29ft decent. Gas was insanely bad, to be expected. But really bad. 130,000km and front end is brutal, taking in for shocks/struts. Bouncing bad. But 4 kids and 2 dogs, love the 8 seats, and ltz loaded is nice. Was thinking about super charger cuz I'm stupid that way, but think I'll keep saving and drop a 6.1 in maybe.

I tow once a year 6500lbs. So not a deal breaker for me.

That's my opinion anyways.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:47 PM

I have an '11 suburban.
I pull a 25' camping trailer with no slides, and it does ok.
I put some of the cheap airbags in that sit inside the coil spring, and that makes a world of difference.
Get that back end sitting up where it should, and it will be a different animal.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:19 AM

Do you have "Tow haul" mode ? Stabilizer arms ? That's not a big heavy trailer you shouldn't have much trouble pulling it except for burning the stripe on credit card.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:41 AM

Yes. I was using the “tow mode”. Transmission would get into 4th gear and kick down to third a lot (whenever there was a slight incline). We were against a bit of a headwind - nothing crazy, but wind nonetheless. And I was using weight distribution/stabilizer bars.

Tires were at 50 psi. Airbag system or suspension upgrade is something that maybe I need to investigate.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:41 AM

A few years ago I used a 2005 GM Trailblazer 5.3 to haul a 24' trailer (4500 Lbs.) equalizer hitch with stabilizer stopped any tail wagging went through Montana to the black hills mileage wasn't that bad.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:48 AM

I think I might need to start with the tires. Max load on the side of the tire is 2500 lbs. The same size tire on my boss’ three-quarter ton is marked 5100 lbs.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:03 AM

Default GM VS Tacoma

Tires could make a big difference.
Tow mode changes the shifting patterns a lot. Also works somewhat like a jake brake when going down big hills I find. Engine maybe a bit small for that trailer.

We have a Tacoma at work and I finally said I'm not towing with it anymore. I found it too light to pull a loaded cargo trailer . Breaking was down right scary and the steering was all over the road in a wind. I was impressed with the power it had.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:04 AM

Ive always towed in third gear,rarely in 4th.Rpm stays up around 3k.
Rear axle ratio is probably 3;42 ish.Coil spring rear axle also,not like a half ton with leaf springs.
Edit,probably a 6 speed,so 4-5th gear when towing.Couldnt image pulling in top gear.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
I think I might need to start with the tires. Max load on the side of the tire is 2500 lbs. The same size tire on my boss’ three-quarter ton is marked 5100 lbs.
What pressure are you at? Don't change tires til your check everything else.

Sounds like a potential setup issue.

Is the weight distribution hitch setup correctly? Check YouTube for proper setup. I've had RV dealerships setup my hitch wrong. And it made a huge difference once I figured that out.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
What pressure are you at? Don't change tires til your check everything else.

Sounds like a potential setup issue.

Is the weight distribution hitch setup correctly? Check YouTube for proper setup. I've had RV dealerships setup my hitch wrong. And it made a huge difference once I figured that out.
It’s a Husky weight distribution hitch. I’ll YouTube setup instructions later tonight.

Tires were set at 50 psi.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:33 AM

You have a great hitch, probably one of the best. I haul a 32 ft. 6400# trailer behind a 2000 F250 SD with no issues and tire pressure is the same as you but it would help to know what ply tire your running 6,8, or 10? it will make a world of difference. Tires need to be 10 ply in my opinion to handle the stresses of pulling a trailer. Lighter side walls in lesser tires will make the ass end feel "squishy" and fuel economy will suffer as well.
As a side note: I did take my trailer in to be serviced once at the RV dealership and on my way to Ontario I noticed the trailer was pulling like a dog behind the truck (normally) you never even know it is there. Discovered in Regina that the dealer had left about 3/4 of a tank of fresh water on board as well as a 1/2 tank of grey water? go figure! Any how long story short once I dumped the water the trailer pulled like normal.
So what I am saying is 2 adults 5 kids and all their assorted stuff and a poorly weight balanced trailer and softer tires will make for a bad day.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:02 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was pretty pessimistic last night when we got home from our trip. But I’m more optimistic now. Just have to go through different things one at a time — starting with the hitch setup.

The tires are six ply, and don’t look that great. There is enough tread left, but not much more than that.

The truck has a six speed transmission (I think that five and six are overdrive gears) and I was surprised that I needed to go down to third every time we hit a slight incline. Maybe against a breeze that’s normal though, and I need to manually put it in third (at times) to prevent so much shifting back-and-forth.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:25 AM

Just a little update.

I had issues with trailer sway and power with towing. Hitch has been reset (It wasn’t out by much). Also had an engine code shortly after posting. Turns out it was a misfire on one cylinder. Needed new spark plugs.

So we went camping this weekend near Brooks (in fairly windy conditions - especially yesterday). The power was good enough… a little better than before.
Trailer sway was still a big issue around 105-110 km/hour. I was extra careful in packing the trailer. Most the weight up front and centred. Truck tires set to 50 psi. We have a bike rack attached to the back bumper of the trailer, which might be an issue… it isn’t when pulling with the Tundra however.

So I think the next step will be looking at the Suburban’s suspension. Any recommendations on where in Calgary to take it to?
Old 06-19-2023, 07:46 AM

I had a 2010 GMC 1500 that would sway at highway speed with a trailer on. I changed out the P rated tires for a set of LT tires and it got rid of the sway. I was pulling a 27’ trailer.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:47 AM

Standon's do suspensions in Calgary.
Wondering where airbags go with coil spring rears?

Does the rear sag down a lot when loaded?
Old 06-19-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I had a 2010 GMC 1500 that would sway at highway speed with a trailer on. I changed out the P rated tires for a set of LT tires and it got rid of the sway. I was pulling a 27’ trailer.
Yes, LT tires.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Standon's do suspensions in Calgary.
Wondering where airbags go with coil spring rears?

Does the rear sag down a lot when loaded?
It doesn’t sag too much. Normal I would say. And yes, I have P rated tires… not LT
Old 06-19-2023, 06:39 PM

Can’t compare the Tundra to a Burb. Two different animals. One is meant for hauling, towing, off-roading, and the other is more for space and luxury (bells/whistles). Both burn an eye watering amount of gas. The yodas are also better longevity wise but you do give up some comfort. Won’t ever be selling my Tundra, no issues whatsoever with power or stability towing multiple size units.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
It doesn’t sag too much. Normal I would say. And yes, I have P rated tires… not LT
As said already,get some 10 ply load range E tires with 70-80 psi and this will make a huge difference.
Old 06-21-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Was thinking about super charger cuz I'm stupid that way, but think
That's what I would do, drop a ProCharger with intercooler on it with maybe a few upgrades like cam, intake, injectors to go with the boost.

That's the combo that's going in my ZR2 in the next year or two. A well built ProCharged 5.3

This video he gets 600 HP out of a stock 5.3 with just boost, imagine that mill with some nice forged internals, well worked over heads, cam, intake, injectors, ignition system, water meth. 800-900 HP shouldn't be out of the question if you wanted to get real crazy. I'd like mine to be around 650/650

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdnq...b2NoYXJnZWQ%3D
Old 06-21-2023, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
That's what I would do, drop a ProCharger with intercooler on it with maybe a few upgrades like cam, intake, injectors to go with the boost.

That's the combo that's going in my ZR2 in the next year or two. A well built ProCharged 5.3

This video he gets 600 HP out of a stock 5.3 with just boost, imagine that mill with some nice forged internals, well worked over heads, cam, intake, injectors, ignition system, water meth. 800-900 HP shouldn't be out of the question if you wanted to get real crazy. I'd like mine to be around 650/650

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdnq...b2NoYXJnZWQ%3D
The new twin turbo V6 engines are a huge improvement over the V8s, when towing, as they make more torque at 800-1000 rpm less, and fuel mileage while towing is much better. My F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost ,uses less fuel when towing a 2000lb boat, than my previous V8s made ,when not towing.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
As said already,get some 10 ply load range E tires with 70-80 psi and this will make a huge difference.
this seems overkill to me. i use those tires on my 3/4 ton for towing a fifth wheel trailer. that trailer shouldn't need a tow vehicle with tires that strong. Lt tires certainly, but 10 ply @ those pressures will turn it into a stoneboat and you'll regret it for the other 350 days/year when you are not towing something.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
this seems overkill to me. i use those tires on my 3/4 ton for towing a fifth wheel trailer. that trailer shouldn't need a tow vehicle with tires that strong. Lt tires certainly, but 10 ply @ those pressures will turn it into a stoneboat and you'll regret it for the other 350 days/year when you are not towing something.
Simple.. reduce the pressure when not towing. I pumped them up for summer and reduced it for fall/winter/spring.
Old 06-21-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
Well I imagine most people would reduce air when not towing.You get better mileage also when at 55-60 psi.
The 10 ply also reduces punctures by rocks etc.If you do any gravel driving.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:09 PM

I’d be looking at D rated tires, rear air bags and an anti sway damper for your hitch. Tires can make a huge difference to how your rig feels- even some E rated truck tires are often reviewed as feeling squirrelly when towing. I had a 2002 Duramax 2500 crew cab that wallowed when I pulled my 8000 lb trailer with my ATV and some firewood in the truck box. Air bags at 40 psi completely solved that issue. Measure from your hitch to the ground when empty, then add enough air to get the same measurement when loaded.

Last edited by brewster29; 06-21-2023 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:40 PM

Final update… hopefully!

Just had a set of new Cooper E rated tires installed, and set to 70 psi. The truck owns the trailer now… no more sway. Got it up to 120 kph and everything was straight. I felt the trailer try to sway the truck a few times, but with the new tires, it couldn’t.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:50 PM

Old 07-15-2023, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The new twin turbo V6 engines are a huge improvement over the V8s, when towing, as they make more torque at 800-1000 rpm less, and fuel mileage while towing is much better. My F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost ,uses less fuel when towing a 2000lb boat, than my previous V8s made ,when not towing.
Agree, boosted is better in any form.

But if a boosted V6 is good, imagine how much fun a boosted V8 would be