Default Salmon Fishing - BC rivers

What do I need to know??

Looking for suggestions on;

WHEN is the best time?
WHERE are the best locations?
WHAT rod/reel do i need?
WHAT hooks/bait should i consider?
WHAT line would you suggest?

Any suggestions would be appreciated....
Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM

Hire a guide about $500 a day split it with another guy and its cheap $250 a day each you will have all your questions answered and more I always see people make the mistake of spending thousands in a one week trip on wrong gear etc.

Hire a guide and you will know the best place the best time the best gear and the best technique I get many clients finally giving up learning it on their own and hiring a guide for the last day of their trip just so they don't go home empty handed. At the end its always a well spent $500 and they wish they did that at the start of the trip because their first hour they catch more fish then they did the full week before trying to learn on their own.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Gone Hunting

There are so many different runs in diiferent rivers through the year, I don't think you will get much useful help.

Pick a time, pick a species of salmon or pick a river and narrow your search.

As has been said guides are cheap.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Banned

Fish the best river in all of BC. Thise southern rivers have nothing going on compared to being up in the north country
Hit the Skeena (Or one close)
Mid June-Mid July

Hire a guide

Or combine it up with some Ocean fresh Salmon and some River fishing.

I can help on both ends.

Let me know if you want to chat.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM
AO Sponsor

In terms of strictly fishing river, Harrison/Fraser/Vedder River down south in the Fraser Valley is phenomenal fishing, in terms of overall you won't find much better. BIG Chinook in the Harrison as well, there are some days where you just don't get anything under 30lbs. I just sturgeon fished on the Fraser on Sunday, was unreal, could make it into a combo trip that way too...COMPLETELY addicted to sturgeon fishing now. I know a few guides that fish that area if you wanted to do a trip, PM me, they are top notch. My number 2 would be Skeena as Jamie suggests as well.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 PM

How does Bella Coola area compare to some of the more well known rivers in BC? The only time I've fished for salmon was in the Bella Coola area and we had a great time fishing for pinks and chum.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM

When do you want to fish ? What do you want to catch ? How far do you want to drive ? Do you want to have a quiet spot to yourself or do you want to just catch some tasty fish ????
I've taken a few friends , who have never fished , out for sockeye on the Fraser (right close to Chilliwak) and they have had a great time . They usually open the season in August for a few weeks . It's a great fishery to learn on as it's super simple . A 10-12 foot casting rod , a level wind casting reel with 20 # test is all you need to get started . The downside is that it can get stupid busy , but I try to get out once or twice a summer because it's a blast .
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Banned

Cool

So many great rivers , so many great runs . Nass , skeena, kitimat, babbine , copper to name a few . The big runs start late may (springs) and run till late november (coho) in the north. Those are the big draws in that time each river will carry pink , chum and sockeye depending on location . Three way rigs with spining glows and heavy lead are popular if spinning 300yrds of 20 lb is a good starting set up. Big spoons or bottom bouncing will require a decent level wind with a 200yrds of min 15 lb on a long rod to get you in the game . Fast sink tips on fly line if that suits yer fancy. I suggest no less than 8wt with a high backing cappacity, this will give you a good starting point. Read your regs as every river has its own season for species and some allow bait in a short window. Tight lines,big fish let some go for the future.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
So many great rivers , so many great runs . Nass , skeena, kitimat, babbine , copper to name a few . The big runs start late may (springs) and run till late november (coho) in the north. Those are the big draws in that time each river will carry pink , chum and sockeye depending on location . Three way rigs with spining glows and heavy lead are popular if spinning 300yrds of 20 lb is a good starting set up. Big spoons or bottom bouncing will require a decent level wind with a 200yrds of min 15 lb on a long rod to get you in the game . Fast sink tips on fly line if that suits yer fancy. I suggest no less than 8wt with a high backing cappacity, this will give you a good starting point. Read your regs as every river has its own season for species and some allow bait in a short window. Tight lines,big fish let some go for the future.
Thanks for the info... I am thinking of going to the Skeena for my first trip.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great White Hype View Post
Lead, 4-6oz minimum on a 3 way with a spinning glow(Pm for colors that have worked in the past) and 1/0 size hook with a bead between the two, fairly large in size if going for springs in the skeena from now til mid July. Pinks can be caught on spoons and spinners, same with the coho. Sockeye need to be flossed.

I have good luck for springs using the forest green blue fox vibrax spinner size 6. many hours of casting though so have a bar fishing rig ready for when your arms get tired. I'd also recommend 30# min for springs as the fish are easily that big and there's the current to contend with. when water levels drop and the coho and steelhead come through you can go to 15# and pull off most snags without snapping off.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great White Hype View Post
Best choice you could have made.

Jamie
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Best choice you could have made.

Jamie
X2
Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 PM

If you are going to Terrace to fish the Skeena you should also consider the Kitimat. It is a much smaller river and the last week of July is usually loaded with pinks and chum. You can land pinks on a walleye or pike rig but you will have a real problem if you hook a chum.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
If you are going to Terrace to fish the Skeena you should also consider the Kitimat. It is a much smaller river and the last week of July is usually loaded with pinks and chum. You can land pinks on a walleye or pike rig but you will have a real problem if you hook a chum.
Ha, ya. Kitimat circle fish can be a blast. First time I hooked one I didn`t know wtf was going on. Those pinks when they`re fresh from the salt will swim in circles, your rod goes crazy and they can be tricky to keep on at times.

The Terrace area has access to lots of great rivers Lake Else River, Copper River and the Kalum river all come into the skeena right close, and there are a few other rivers further west, and the Nass watershed an hour or so drive north... it truly is a fishermans paradise.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM

If going to terrace in summer, wait until mid july as river is usually high and dirty early in july. For skeena, i would go to china bar as it is not classified waters there, unless you want to spend the $20/day. Some rivers are $40/day...plus some rivers you need a steelhead tag, another $60(i think).
If bar fishing, big spin&glows(black/mylar wings in dirty water, chrome/red head or chrome /green when water clears up.), with 5/0 hooks, hard to say on weights 8-16oz depending on water, and where you are.
I would go 30# mainline and 40# leaders. leaders take a beating with rocks and with the weights hitting them.
China bar is about 70km from terrace(towards rupert)
I have fished up there in summer and fall.
Dave
Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 PM

kitimat is my favorite. loads of fish usually easy to find a spot that isn't packed with people. just stop into home hardware in town and ron will get you set up with whatever you need. its nice to get a guide for a day at least just to change the pace. we are going july 12th this year just because of conflicting schedules, otherwise it would be either first or last week of july. edn of july, first of august there is usually a few springs and lots of chum and pinks around. if you are lucky there might be a few early coho, I got 5 last year on aug 2nd. my opinion is that the kitimat is much more d.i.y. friendly
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Banned

Club Mez