Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Default Old man fishing - Possible sturgeon?

Hey, has anyone had any luck fishing the middle/lower section of the Old man? Its open all year... also was wondering if anyone has ever had any luck fishing for sturgeon? I've heard a lot of stories, but I have fished the old man for years and years and Ive never seen one. If I don't hook up soon around home, Ill have to make the drive to the forks (upon opening). Anyone have any bait suggestions?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 PM

read them again,
Oldman River
upstream of Sec. Rd. 509 – see Fish Management Zone 1, Watershed Unit ES1.
from Sec. Rd. 509 downstream to South Saskatchewan River & tributaries except St. Mary River
May 8 to Mar. 15 – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye and Sauger limit 3; Walleye over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0; Bait allowed.
Mar. 16 to May 7 – CLOSED same in 2009 and 2010 regs unfortunately .

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Yeah, I did actually right after I posted that and realized I was a fool. No worries though, I found some spots today on the fly rod and caught some nice whitefish.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:23 PM

dont have to be a fool to misread the regs, lots of people do. I hear minnows are the ticket for sturgeon , hoping to get my first this year too.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 PM

You would probably have more luck for sturgeon in the NSR.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:21 PM

All licences for sturgen are suspended in Alberta this year non will be issued. Check the regs again, You will have to go to BC. I think if your are purposly fishing for them that could be concidered poaching, not sure but maybe?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 PM

Before you had to buy a tag if you wanted to keep one, not fish for them. Not poaching at all, just means you cant keep them anymore.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
All licences for sturgen are suspended in Alberta this year non will be issued. Check the regs again, You will have to go to BC. I think if your are purposly fishing for them that could be concidered poaching, not sure but maybe?
Fishing for them isnt illegal, keeping one would be poaching. Tags havent been issued for a few years now.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Just my interpetation. Might be worth a double check tho before one gets a big fine.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:52 PM

if that was the case they could ticket every person casting a bait in the river, unless you had a scuba diver waiting out there to chase off the sturgeon

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 PM

Two things. I know a few guys that fish for sturgeon on a regular basis in the SSR. They have even been out with FnG on tagging trips. It's all good just don't keep em.
Ok lost my train of thought thinking about fishn' LOL I guess only one thing.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 PM

Two things. I know a few guys that fish for sturgeon on a regular basis in the SSR. They have even been out with FnG on tagging trips. It's all good just don't keep em.
Ok lost me train of thought thinking about fishn' LOL I geuss only one thing.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Well thanks guys. I don't fish for them specifically, I usually just put some minnows out there.. Mainly I get pike, the odd sucker, burbot and walls but I would just like to catch one of those dinosaurs and take a quick picture, and let it go =) Im all for releasing fish. If no one releases the big ones, there wont be any big ones left to catch.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Thumbs up Strugeon Info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
Hey, has anyone had any luck fishing the middle/lower section of the Old man? Its open all year... also was wondering if anyone has ever had any luck fishing for sturgeon? I've heard a lot of stories, but I have fished the old man for years and years and Ive never seen one. If I don't hook up soon around home, Ill have to make the drive to the forks (upon opening). Anyone have any bait suggestions?
Try talking to BBJ about fishin for those ones. I consider him an experiment on those fish in the NSR.
Cheers
Old 03-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggpigg View Post
There is actually an outfitter on the SSR that charges people to target sturgeon, they have a website and everything, so I don't think targeting them is illegal.

Tags
sturgeon river fishing