Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 05:34 PM

Default Game Harvest Survey- it's in your hands

Hi fellow hunters. Game Harvest Surveys came in via Alberta Relm today. This is our chance to make our voices heard in regards to game population (good or bad) in this awesome province. There's been many threads of guys arguing. Let's give ESRD something scientific to work with instead of anecdotal arguing. It's not the be all to end all but it will help immensely.
Thanks,
Tyler
Old 12-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Done mine takes less then a minute to do all my tags.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:49 PM

Done what I could. Still one tag active.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:58 PM

Survey works great!...accuracy is questionable (due to questionable entries) till they use the data against you

...yah survey works great....NOT

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-15-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Survey works great!...accuracy is questionable (due to questionable entries) till they use the data against you

LC
Agree^^ that's the key to it-accuracy. If you aren't honest with it it becomes detrimental.

Last edited by wildwoods; 12-15-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Reread your sarcasm lol
Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 PM

It is very easy to do. Hope all hunters fill iy out.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Waste of time and money on their and our parts. If these guys spent some time in the field, all parties involved would have a very clear idea of where things are at in this province. AND THEY DO! At least one would have to assume so, even the biggest joke rancher in the country knows the staus of his cow herd, on some level... Enjoy playing these guys games. I wont participate.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Waste of time and money on their and our parts. If these guys spent some time in the field, all parties involved would have a very clear idea of where things are at in this province. AND THEY DO! At least one would have to assume so, even the biggest joke rancher in the country knows the staus of his cow herd, on some level... Enjoy playing these guys games. I wont participate.
Lol...

Just Keep on folding those tags....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:

...yah survey works great....NOT

LC
Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion. However I see a survey as a much cheaper alternative to "spending time in the field". Of course they use their observations a field and combine that with this data to generate tag allotment. No money wasted and heck- couldn't hurt.
662,000sq km is a lot of land to ask a budget depleted ESRD dept to accurately depict. But heck, you saved 5 minutes...
Old 12-15-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. However I see a survey as a much cheaper alternative to "spending time in the field". Of course they use their observations a field and combine that with this data to generate tag allotment. No money wasted and heck- couldn't hurt.
662,000sq km is a lot of land to ask a budget depleted ESRD dept to accurately depict. But heck, you saved 5 minutes...
The issue I have with the VOLUNTARY survey is there is no checks and balances to ensure the accuracy....does anyone check the data? Nope....You can fill it out any way you want, the data is invalid....but it seems the data is used to make big decisions.

LC
Old 12-15-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
The issue I have with the VOLUNTARY survey is there is no checks and balances to ensure the accuracy....does anyone check the data? Nope....You can fill it out any way you want, the data is invalid....but it seems the data is used to make big decisions.

LC
Do you think a MANDATORY survey would be the solution? All surveys are the same. Anyone can fudge them. I guess as an honest person, I can't see why anyone would have reason to screw with the survey. As you've previously stated: that can easily work against us too.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 PM

I filled it out.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 PM

Lefty, just so I'm understanding, Are you opposed to the entire concept of the survey or just questioning the accuracy? I feel strongly that an accurate survey would be hugely beneficial. What am I missing here?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Lol...

Just Keep on folding those tags....
LOL!!

You can bet your last red cent on it...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-15-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Lefty, just so I'm understanding, Are you opposed to the entire concept of the survey or just questioning the accuracy? I feel strongly that an accurate survey would be hugely beneficial. What am I missing here?
Not opposed to the concept. Yes I question the way the data is used. Yes I question the validity.

For instance....I made a typo on purpose...(dont worry it wont affect the results) and it went through without error.

LC
Old 12-15-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:

LC
That's exactly what I've always said...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Not opposed to the concept. Yes I question the way the data is used. Yes I question the validity.

For instance....I made a typo on purpose...(dont worry it wont affect the results) and it went through without error.

LC
You've acknowledged that the data seems to be used to make big decisions. That would equate to the more people accurately participating, the better quality the decisions. Is ignoring this survey helping? The vibe i get being a member here for a few years is that most want to follow the rules and abide lawfully. The more those types chime in the better off we are.

In case anyone is wondering, I have seen more game in my area than I can count. I'm not the guy wondering where all the game went. We had an outstanding year numbers wise...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
You've acknowledged that the data seems to be used to make big decisions. That would equate to the more people accurately participating, the better quality the decisions. Is ignoring this survey helping? The vibe i get being a member here for a few years is that most want to follow the rules and abide lawfully. The more those types chime in the better off we are.

In case anyone is wondering, I have seen more game in my area than I can count. I'm not the guy wondering where all the game went. We had an outstanding year numbers wise...
Thats great. If numbers are just great, great. Go get em. SRD and the AFGA will be happy to know that you are doing your best to get the last one of those vermin. Let everyone know where they are, nothing worse than an under utilized resource....

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-15-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Thats great. If numbers are just great, great. Go get em. SRD and the AFGA will be happy to know that you are doing your best to get the last one of those vermin. Let everyone know where they are, nothing worse than an under utilized resource....
I'm not lobbying for more tags. I'm interested in conservation. I feel this survey is a tool to help obtain data to balance things out. I stated that so you'd know I'm not "sore" about not filling tags. In all due respect, would you rather an underfunded ESRD just figure it out? Honest question.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I'm not lobbying for more tags. I'm interested in conservation. I feel this survey is a tool to help obtain data to balance things out. I stated that so you'd know I'm not "sore" about not filling tags. In all due respect, would you rather an underfunded ESRD just figure it out? Honest question.

I must have missed the question about adding funding to ESRD and adding Officers to the field....

You said it..."you FEEL".....its a "feel good" tool IMHO.

LC
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Ahhhh,,, yaaa... The rest of us figured it out, in some cases a long time ago,,, with NO funding.... Lolol

Keep a strain on er
Banned

Filled mine out. Took a lot longer then 5 min.
If they say it might help in figuring out what is going on out there, then who am I to argue.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I must have missed the question about adding funding to ESRD and adding Officers to the field....

You said it..."you FEEL".....its a "feel good" tool IMHO.

LC
You not being opposed to the concept, feel (believe)that there's merit to it. Has nothing to do with feelings (poor choice of wording). At what point would you support it? what changes would you make? Or are you ok with the status quo...
Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 PM

Done. Just like every other year
Old 12-15-2014, 08:40 PM

I'll look into mine sometime later, I would like to see a place for quick comments on what we saw.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:03 PM

What would someone have to gain buy fudging the answers. In the end every one should remember its your resource why f it up for yourself. If 90 % of the people that did this survey where accurate it would only help with management. It's not that involved anyways what's the big deal with doing it properly. Getting fed up with people's stupidity these days.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 AM
Banned

Quote:

LC
Agree 100%.....I seriously question the validity of the data collected,and have great concern in regards to how said data is used to assist with management strategies.People can say whatever they want on the survey,it don't mean jack.
Rather then mandatory surveys,I would rather see mandatory registration of all big game kills to accurately assess hunter harvest numbers.

I also have a problem with the lack of info collected with the survey.
Ie;Did you hunt WT in zone xxx?Yes
How many days did you hunt?26
Did you kill a WT in zone xxx?No

What useful info has SRD gained from this??WOW....26 days and didn't make a kill,must be no deer in XXX,let's cut back on tags/put XXX in draw!!

What they failed to ask me was about the 200+ deer that I seen but didn't kill,nor the dozen or so young bucks that I had in the crosshairs and gave a pass,nor the 1/2 dozen or so opps that I had on good shooters that didn't pan out for one reason or another.
Truth is,I had a fantastic season of non-stop action,easily one of the most memorable deer seasons of my life and yet by choice,didn't kill a buck,which is the only pertinent info being collected.....it don't mean jack IMHO.
Sooooo....if I want to see zone xxx remain as is with current general tags and supplementals,what do I do??Lie like a rug!
Yes I hunted 3 days,filled 2 supps plus general easy/peasy.....again,the data don't mean jack.
Mandatory registration of big game harvests addresses this problem IMO.Data collected from the survey is......well,quite simply just a steamn' pile a BS imho?

Last edited by grinr; 12-16-2014 at 04:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Agree 100%.....I seriously question the validity of the data collected,and have great concern in regards to how said data is used to assist with management strategies.People can say whatever they want on the survey,it don't mean jack.
Rather then mandatory surveys,I would rather see mandatory registration of all big game kills to accurately assess hunter harvest numbers.

I also have a problem with the lack of info collected with the survey.
Ie;Did you hunt WT in zone xxx?Yes
How many days did you hunt?26
Did you kill a WT in zone xxx?No

What useful info has SRD gained from this??WOW....26 days and didn't make a kill,must be no deer in XXX,let's cut back on tags/put XXX in draw!!

What they failed to ask me was about the 200+ deer that I seen but didn't kill,nor the dozen or so young bucks that I had in the crosshairs and gave a pass,nor the 1/2 dozen or so opps that I had on good shooters that didn't pan out for one reason or another.
Truth is,I had a fantastic season of non-stop action,easily one of the most memorable deer seasons of my life and yet by choice,didn't kill a buck,which is the only pertinent info being collected.....it don't mean jack IMHO.
Sooooo....if I want to see zone xxx remain as is with current general tags and supplementals,what do I do??Lie like a rug!
Yes I hunted 3 days,filled 2 supps plus general easy/peasy.....again,the data don't mean jack.
Mandatory registration of big game harvests addresses this problem IMO.Data collected from the survey is......well,quite simply just a steamn' pile a BS imho?
I think your totally correct until the very last line. How useful would compulsory reporting be when you have no records of animals killed by predators, hit by cars and trains, drowned, eaten by wolves, bears, coyotes and cats, poached, natural demise, or first nations hunts??

Really even with actu all 100% accurate harvest stats......how much use is it??
Old 12-16-2014, 04:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I think your totally correct until the very last line. How useful would compulsory reporting be when you have no records of animals killed by predators, hit by cars and trains, drowned, eaten by wolves, bears, coyotes and cats, poached, natural demise, or first nations hunts??

Really even with actu all 100% accurate harvest stats......how much use is it??
At the very least,mandatory registration gives an accurate assessment of hunter harvest.(as opposed to for instance,me saying on an anonymous survey that yes I killed 3 deer in 3 days)
As for your list of "other" causes of mortality.....well,the survey certainly doesn't ask me how many roadkills I've seen nor wolf kills nor poachers nor anything else for that matter....moot point.
All I'm saying is if you want to have an ACCURATE assessment of hunter harvest,then mandatory registration is the route to follow.
As for your last line..."how much use is it?".....hunter harvest stats are another useful tool/data set that bios can refer to in determining management strategies.Yes,poaching,roadkill,winter kill etc are all highly variable,but hunter success rates are generally fairly consistant with the actual abundance of game.

Last edited by grinr; 12-16-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:52 AM

The other thing registration would do is allow age based data to be collected and not just sex based info....provided the registrar has experience aging animals.

Yes purposely fudging info can help and hinder....not going to give anyone ideas though

LC