Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Post Rifle Build questions

Hello, i am hoping to start a long journy / investment on a custom rifle build. i am not conserned with a budget. from the research ive done and what ive used in the past im fairly confident with the build. However, im still looking around for perhaps something i missed / overlooked, or something.

Build:
Action: Remington 700
Calibre: .300 Winchester Magnum
Optics: Vortex Viper PST 4x16-50 FFP(to start) Nightforce B.E.A.S.T (is optimal)(Looking for FFP, dont care for a second focal plane)
Barrel: (stock for now) was thinking Kreiger or Shlien
Trigger: Stock (not sure if a jewel or something will provide significant difference
Stock: a few options im lookin at, AICS(not the new one, ick) MCS-GAT with the "MCS-DBM Mini Chassis" or the Remington Accesory Chassis System (RACS)
I would like to lean away from a muzzle break, but will add one if i have to.

MAXIMUM Distiance i would ever think to shoot with this setup: 2000yds (i know its a bit far out there. but its something to push for )

If i get more than one optic, i have other rifles i can put them on so more than one optic is not a worry to me, ill probably get another anyways

Thank you for any and all information
Old 02-22-2013, 04:27 PM

If money is no object, and you want quality skip the 700 and buy a custom action with the 700 footprint. There are many to choose from.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 PM

the jewel compared to the orginal remington: yesss. i did it and will never shoot a factory trigger again.

aics stock, its very comfortable.

for the barrell you can go with a krieger prefit for now and change it with an action truing down the road. call mystic precision or northshore barrell.

i would get rid of the 300 win mag and get an ultramag.
obviously if you want to get there, you will have to reload.
at that point, its not very hard to shoot a wildcat and with the ultramag you can get a barrell and shoot the 338 edge or whatever you want. whatever caliber you want, do some research a little bit.

just a thing before you start spending money, think about the objective of the project and decide if you want to get action worked on or not.

just for the sakes of it, do a simple calculation.

go see how much is a custom action(rps internetionnal put his prices online)
now, think about your remington. . . .
600 for the gun(wich s basicly a serial number at that point)
225 for a trigger
action work. . . .lets put 300
you touch the 1100$ and you still have a remington in your hands.
you will spend more and more if you want a detachable magasine(200-300)
badger ordonance base is 165$
you easilly spend 1500$ on that remington action.

for a little more you get a surgeon with a trigger and a detachable magasine and a base alrady on it, ready to shoot 338 lapua mag. when you play with that, you know its not a remington.

at that point, price of the stock and barrel are the same. caliber is up to you.

it means spending all that money right now instead of spending in 2 or 3 years but if you want to end up with a custom, might as well doing it right the first time.

i would prefer spending 3k on a surrgeon than spending 3k on a remington.

its just like spending 50 000 on a 20 000 honda civic when you can get a bmw for almost the same price. . . .at the end, you either drive a civic or a bmw.

Last edited by myrand; 02-22-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM

I see what you mean, dont suppose you know anyone who carrys Surgeon? ive looked at them before but never got to actually get a feel for them, i pick up the rem700 in 300 awhile back and wanted to "fiddle" with it and see where i could get it to go. in the long run i am thinking of picking up a surgen perhaps in 338LM or RUM. but for now my platform is a R700 in 300mag.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 PM

if you have the ation already, its a little too late.

might be worth taking a look before you buy another action he may not have it in stock but he will get it for you if you want it. prophet can also order whatever you want from usa.
i've tried surgeons once at the range and it was a pretty cool rig. the smoothest i've tried so far but i am sure its nothing compared to a bat.
ttp://www.rpsinternational.com/snap_shot_product_list_130105.pdf

anyway, if you already have the gun, call mystic or northshore for a krieger prefit for a remington(yes it does exist)

go get a stock, as said, the aics is awesome and comes already with the detachable magasine. . . . . .you save some $$$ on that detachable magasine plate since you dont have to buy t anymore.

invest on a jewell trigger, its really worth every penny

dont cheap on base and rings, am a fan of badger ordonance. . . .there are other good ones.

hand load the beast and tweak that load as good as you can.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM

I c, thanks for the advice. I mean honestly though, its my first major build. and i figured i would probably acquire more down the road. when i bought it, (almost 2 years ago) Knowing what i know now, i would have bought a different R700 or a R700 Type rifle. I'm sure ill pick up a Surgeon action or a McMillian down the road one day. I am a little curios though the "Jewell" Trigger, is that a specific brand or is that just a type of target trigger that multiple companies make?
the Krieger prefits, don't suppose they list them on their site?
i just see some contours and what not.

the scope I have decided to go with a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50, fits my needs a little better and i can get it for a wicked price.
Thank you
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumfart View Post
Hello, i am hoping to start a long journy / investment on a custom rifle build. i am not conserned with a budget. from the research ive done and what ive used in the past im fairly confident with the build. However, im still looking around for perhaps something i missed / overlooked, or something.

Build:
Optics: Vortex Viper PST 4x16-50 FFP(to start) Nightforce B.E.A.S.T (is optimal)(Looking for FFP, dont care for a second focal plane)
Trigger: Stock (not sure if a jewel or something will provide significant difference
Stock: a few options im lookin at, AICS(not the new one, ick) MCS-GAT with the "MCS-DBM Mini Chassis" or the Remington Accesory Chassis System (RACS)

MAXIMUM Distiance i would ever think to shoot with this setup: 2000yds (i know its a bit far out there. but its something to push for )

If i get more than one optic, i have other rifles i can put them on so more than one optic is not a worry to me, ill probably get another anyways

If money is no object I would look at better optics than you listed.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 PM

There are many more custom actions besides surgeon, and each one of those companies make many different actions for very specific and not so specific custom rifles. Spending thousands on parts for a rifle and hundreds on an action does not make sense to me, logically or financially. If you are going full custom I would start with the action. I am waiting for a tac 30 from stiller, it is a rem 700 clone. After doing the math for a rem700 action, it was always 400-450$, plus the gunsmith bill for trueing the lugs,bolt face, action face and threads would double that. For just over 1100$, the tac 30 has a fluted ptg bolt with an oversize bolt handle, tighter tolerance without sleeving the bolt, recoil lug, pinned scope rail with #8 screws, and lapped lugs. The action is basically ready to go. It also has an m16 type extractor and a side bolt release, like a tikka. Nothing to do with accuracy, but something different. Either way, I was looking at 1000$+ for an action to build off of.
There are a lot of companies out there that make some awesome actions, unfortunately this is Canada! Get your checkbook and you might have enough time to grow a duck-dynasty beard waiting for it!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Precisionshooter

The action is vital. A Rem 700 Accurized will work, but recovery of funds is a bit more difficult.

Mfgs of actions with integral rails and integral recoil lug are more common. If you want to see a Bat HRPIC, or Surgeon or Stiller (no integral rail or lug) send me a PM as we have them in stock. Defiance should be here in about 2 months. Pierce also started making a similar action.

If weight isn't a big issue, and you can live with a 20moa rail the integral actions are hard to beat.

I don't think Krieger makes a prefit or short chambered. We inventory Krieger as well and they make a premium barrel.

Scopes - I don't think you can put NF Beast in the same category as Vortex. The beast, Premier reticles 5-25x56 and Kahles if you like their reticles are premium optics for sure.

Keep an eye out for good brass as well - Norma or Nosler would be my recommendation.

For those of you looking for a different stock and can live with a laminated, take a peak at grs rifle stocks .com. We have a variety coming and they look very interesting at a reaonable price. Hunter, varmint and f-class to name a few.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM

What are the actions running for? i saw some McMillian actions (R700 type) going for like $1400 or something and it really confused me. I was thinking about a barrel after about 1000+ rounds through the factory first. i'm able to pick of the Viper for (dunno if i should be saying this) but, for $1400ish. so i figured i may as well, it will do what i want. Don't suppose you know if AI is still making / selling the older AICS (I really dont like the looks of the new model)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
What are the actions running for? i saw some McMillian actions (R700 type) going for like $1400 or something and it really confused me. I was thinking about a barrel after about 1000+ rounds through the factory first. i'm able to pick of the Viper for (dunno if i should be saying this) but, for $1400ish. so i figured i may as well, it will do what i want. Don't suppose you know if AI is still making / selling the older AICS (I really dont like the looks of the new model)
Prairieguntraders sells 6-24x50 mil/mil ffp Vipers for about $1000 if you are set on one.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Prairieguntraders sells 6-24x50 mil/mil ffp Vipers for about $1000 if you are set on one.
the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50FFP * my bad, not the viper.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 AM

ask mystic precision fot that barrell.
he knows about it. you dont true the action, you just put a barrell and screw it on yourself.

in 2-3 years whenever that barrell is no good anymore, then you can true your action, get a lija and change your caliber if you want it.

before you buy that razor, have you looked at nightforce ? you might be surprised.they are not ffp at that price but its another good option

there is nothing wrong with the vortex viper too, they comes with ffp and sfp, the reticle of your choice and they are less than 1k. its very hard to beat and when you are done with that gun, you put the viper on a 223 and a premier reticule on the 300 win mag.

life is good

Last edited by myrand; 03-09-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:05 AM

sorry, i lied to you.

its not krieger that makes a prefit for the remngton
its mcgowen

http://w w w .mysticprecision.com/wp/554/mcgowen-savage-remington-700-and-marlin-xlxs7-prefit-ss-barrels/
Old 03-09-2013, 08:20 AM

Get a jewel trigger, worth the $300

Another thing to consider is caliber, are you set on 300 WM? Is this strictly a range princess, if so look at some of the 7mm options (7mm-300WSM say) as there are a lot of high BC 7's coming out lately.

Talk to Jerry at Mystic, he'll get you a Shillen barrel and can do the smithing for you.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Build:

by this description it sounds more like your after a 'modified' factory rifle.
A 'custom' 2000 yd rifle (in this definition) uses a completely different set of build rules, tools, design, tolerances, etc.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31

Tags
300wm, custom, gun build, remington 700, rifle