Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2015, 10:19 PM

Default Looking for advice on buying a drift boat

Hello, I am looking to buy a drift boat for the calgary area rivers. Just looking for advice on size, brands, etc. I have recently moved to the area and want to fish as much as possible this year.

I am often by myself. Is there a reliable service to move my trick and trailer down stream available?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 AM

As for brands and size im not sure but if you email Hyde they will send you a catalogue and A dvd as for shuttle service there is a company called bow River shuttles that moves trucks for you your going to need more than just you in your boat your going to need a rower at all times. If you put a post in the partner thread im sure there would be lots of people willing to go with you including myself.hope that helps a little.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 AM

I too am in the market for a drift boat ... I was running 16' low side Clackacrafts in Ontario but there were slim pickings in terms of available boats in the province. I do like the Clackas a lot but now with so many more options available I am going to be looking at them all. Of course now that I am out west I am further away from Michigan and the home of Stealthcraft Boats ... but man I am sold on the look of these bad boys . I did seriously consider a Hyde at the Fly Fishing show earlier this year but the jury (wife) is still out deliberating. She is also not too keen on my idea to put flame graphics on it or jaws at the front of the boat and she most certainly refuses to let me fly a skull and cross bone flag and wear an eye patch ... ...women. Good luck in your hunt!

http://www.stealthcraftboats.com/

As for shuttle services ..

http://bowrivershuttles.com/

FFG
Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the response! I will be looking at used boats as my budget is not very large. I am seeing some boats for sale in montana that may make sense but I need to look into importing it- any experience with this?

Never drift boat fished so I really like the idea of finding a partner- and sounds necessary!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:05 PM

I have a 16' Clacka with two fishing partners and no complaints about the boat. We go mid week when it is less busy, have a partnership agreement where all the costs are split equally.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:41 AM

I am fortunate enough to know a couple of people with drift boats but they hardly use them it seems! So I have had the chance to try a few.

One thing I would suggest you do is try a few boats if possible before settling on one. Not an easy task obviously and might cost you a few cases of beer and a few shuttle trips mid week but in the used market you normally end up with older and heavier boats. These boats handle completely different than newer boats.

I am far from being an experienced drift boat pilot, beginner at best and there is a lot of work depending on the situation to get where you want to go.

You may want to check out the Bow River Shuttle annual used drift boat sale. April 11th in SW Calgary, give them a call for more details.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:55 AM

What I wanted to say has been said. However I have rowed quite a few and if you need a partner toss me a pm, of course I can bring lunch and shuttle and gas money!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:01 AM

I've owned a couple drifters and rowed quite a few of the brands out there, the most important things are cup holders and storage. You will always have a buddy show up with a 70ltr back pack, 8 rods and his dog.

If you are just going to drift the Bow, i'd stay away from high sides as they can act like sails and the Bow is pretty easy water
Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 PM

Noticed a Hyde drift boat on kijiji posted 2 days ago. It is in the price range. 17 hrs old. 16.8 ft long. Looks like decent buy but I'm thinking I should take the previous advice and get in a few different boats before I make the purchase. I will check out the April sale as well . Thanks for all the advice!
Old 03-26-2015, 01:49 PM

Check craigslist Northern US. All within a days drive Montana NE WA and such they have some great deals. The rafts are good to NRS osprey 14ft with the fishing frame. Im also looking and have been looking down there. Even with the price of our dollar you still end up saving money with the trip.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:25 PM

Used drift boat sale april 11 in Calgary
Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarr View Post

I am often by myself. Is there a reliable service to move my trick and trailer down stream available?

Thanks in advance for any input!
I have a truck...I can drive you any time, if you bring the boat!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:55 PM

Hey guys! Hopefully someone can help me out here, me and a buddy are looking at buying a used drift boat and we're looking for some info as to what is needed as far as insurance and registration goes?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:16 PM

I did not think you needed any boat registration if your boat had a 9.9 hp or less. Trailer needs permanent reg. and the insurance is not mandatory for the boat. The trailer and boat should be covered under the tow vehicles insurance(PL &PD) while being towed. If you are just using manual power I don't believe you need any boat license either.
This is what I believe to be true, easily could be wrong too.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I have a 16' Clacka with two fishing partners and no complaints about the boat. We go mid week when it is less busy, have a partnership agreement where all the costs are split equally.
My Neighbor just bought a clacka, man are they nice, it's gotta be the caddie of drift boats, thing was amazing..
Old 06-25-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
My Neighbor just bought a clacka, man are they nice, it's gotta be the caddie of drift boats, thing was amazing..
Clacka's are nice boats, but no where near the caddie of drift boats more like the LeBaron or Taurus of drifters

Stealthcraft is currently the caddie of drifters
Old 06-25-2015, 09:18 PM

If you plan on fishing solo, you may want to consider a one-man pontoon style raft. Easy to load and travel and you can fish from it while moving (unlike a drift boat). I have a Watermaster Kodiak and love the simplicity and ability to go solo when my buddies are working

Jason
Old 06-26-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronanmd1 View Post
you can fish from it while moving (unlike a drift boat)
Jason
Really, can't fish from a moving drift boat..... have you been in a drifter? They are ultra easy to fish out of when moving
Old 06-26-2015, 06:47 PM

Jayhad - yep, tried it a few times then realized I was too busy trying to steer and keep it positioned to be able to cast effectively (usually tight to the bank).

Flippers help slow the drift and the odd pull on the oar keeps me pointed in the right direction. Even have an anchor if I feel like parking in a slow area or stopping for lunch. Plenty of storage, rod holder and a net across the lap to change flies etc without worrying about dropping in the drink.

Not meant as a criticism...just sharing my experiences on a possible alternative...

Jason