Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2015, 05:05 PM

Default How does gear get lost?

Just curious....but been noticing a fair amount of lost gear threads here for like rods n all....just curious...how does something like a vest or rod get lost? how could you forget? ;P
Old 07-03-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grounds Coffee View Post
Just curious....but been noticing a fair amount of lost gear threads here for like rods n all....just curious...how does something like a vest or rod get lost? how could you forget? ;P
Simple. You are thinking about the fish, not the gear which is a wonderful place to be.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:38 PM

I set things down all the time and cannot remember where I put them. Just getting older I guess!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:43 PM

I've forgotten to close my pack and had fly boxes fall out
Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 PM

I took a picture of a really nice trout once, and set the camera down as I released it. 1/4 of the way home, I saw a nice herd of sheep and decided to take a picture. Crap. Had to drive 40 km back (and walk a few km) to get the camera

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-04-2015, 10:40 AM

Once while hunting I got sidetracked on tracking an animal I saw, planning to return to my perch but ended up going a different route out. So...

There is a bag hanging from a tree with a beautiful original buffalo skinner knife, rope, extra '06 bullets, and a few other things. I left it hanging there about 30 years ago. On a hillside looking to the west about 20 miles NW of Brazeau. About 6 km from the end of the lease road. It was a leather bag.

If you find it I will give 100 bucks reward.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-04-2015, 07:37 PM

I always keep a role of orange survey tape with me. I tie a couple of 12" pieces to it my pack and if I set it down it is easier to see.

The same with a 2nd rod if I have it with me. With the rod I also try and keep it upright like a flag pole and the orange ribbon can be seen a fair way away.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
The same with a 2nd rod if I have it with me. With the rod I also try and keep it upright like a flag pole and the orange ribbon can be seen a fair way away.
Not to mention, if the rod is upright, you're less likely to step on it while you're trying to find it.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-04-2015, 08:28 PM

Stuff happens and things get left behind. Happens to us all and been happening a long time. Friend of mine found a old hudson bay trade musket leaning against an ancient douglas fir in the porcupine hills. Must be a helluva back story on that one.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned

Many years ago,I used a pair of chest waders to cross a small river to hunt deer at first light that morn,then changed into hunting boots on the other side.I ended up far upstream and crossing a bridge to come back,and planned to retrieve my waders on a future hunt......never did.I'm on the proper side of that river to retrieve them now actually....but it's about 4800km east of here?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grounds Coffee View Post
It comes with age

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-05-2015, 08:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Out hunting in thick river bottom crap one year, still hunting, walk, stop, listen, look and repeat, one stop I look over and there is a lever action marlin resting up against a tree. It was unloaded so I walk directly up and out to the high ground with it, start making my way to the truck and run into the land owner only to find out it was his rifle, misplaced from last year. yes he was an old fella, really nice just kinda forgot where he left his rifle after a rest.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-05-2015, 08:54 AM

For me, things get put into a safe place around the house, just don't ask me where that was.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:08 AM

Default lost gear

I am now a pensioner (sob!). In the past several years I have lost a number of articles while hunting and cannot figure out how it happened. I am becoming more absent minded each season. I hope I do not leave my rifle behind while having a leak in the woods. Anything seems possible. Sometimes I have to shake my head in disbelief over some of the things I have done.