Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 AM

Default waterton national park

I'm planning a trip to waterton n. P. Soon. Will be staying In the town campsite. Has anyone fished this area? What creeks and rivers are good? I've checked out Google maps and there is a creek right near the campground. I'll probably hit that up.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:16 AM

Lineham and Carthew were really good last time I fished them.......35 years ago
Old 07-02-2015, 12:55 PM

Default Waterton

I was there Friday-Tuesday. Fished Crandell Lake a couple of times. Lots of nice sized fish, but they are way overfed (massive hatches going on) and very picky. Even after matching the hatch, they were just rising and splashing rather than taking flies. Worth going through - short easy hike in so you can pack a belly boat, easy to fish from shore if you want, amazing scenery.

Take bear spray. Really. Had an amazing view of a black bear romping in the lake, then running full speed down the shore, and up and down three trees.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:26 AM

Haven't fished it, but remember that a National Parks fishing license is required.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-03-2015, 12:23 PM

I fished Waterton lake right across from the townsite campground last year and had some luck with RMWF. I was fly fishing with dry flies.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:54 PM

I fished at Twin Lakes in Waterton on the Weekend. Between the 3 of us we caught over 50 Brook Trout. It was fun! not the biggest fish, but we could see a really big one that would chase the little guys we would pull in. But we could never land that king, he was only interested in eating other fish!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze87 View Post
I fished at Twin Lakes in Waterton on the Weekend. Between the 3 of us we caught over 50 Brook Trout. It was fun! not the biggest fish, but we could see a really big one that would chase the little guys we would pull in. But we could never land that king, he was only interested in eating other fish!
That is whu he is the King ! Good report ..Thanks for sharing !