Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Banned

Default Utikuma

Has anyone been to utikuma this weekend? Was thinking of heading up tomorrow for the day.

Is the lake still driveable with a pickup? Slave lake had lots of hard packed snow and deep drifts.

I was going to enter from the west side. Is the farmer/local still allowing access?

Thanks In advance
Old 02-22-2016, 05:42 PM

I can't speak for the west side access off Hwy750 as I never go that way - I don't know the land owners.....
But the access at km 81 on Hwy88 is absolutely excellent. No issues at all with getting on the ice. And no issues at all on the lake with driving. I did hit a little bit of flood water at one spot I was checking out, but nothing to worry about.

I fished there last week, just a half day ( Thursday ) with awesome results, see this thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=280808

I also just spoke with a F&W officer this morning who said he checked numerous guys with lots of pike, and one group with a pile of good walleye, this weekend.

Good luck, let me know how you make out! I wanna play hooky and get up there again soon.....

Old 02-27-2016, 06:59 AM

Was there yesterday. Lots of deep snow that is starting to melt and produce flood water. Tried blazing a trail, in the open area and almost got stuck a few times but the ford handled it with the foot to the floor a couple of times. The road coming out is thawing fast in the afternoon, very muddy. If warm weather sticks around the flood water will be very bad in a week or 2. Last trip there for me this year. 2 of us caught a dozen Walleye before 9 am then they stopped bitting completly. It was long skinny pike after that for the rest of the day.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.