Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2017, 02:28 PM

Default Hunting and fishing licenses

Alberta recreational hunting and sportfishing licences hmmmm...

Why is it that only one of the licenses sold to hunters and anglers requires a signature? Just the sport fishing license requires a signature.......that's it. What value does a signature on a license provide? If it provides value, why is there no requirement to sign all licenses?

Get rid of the signature on the sport fishing license.......it means nothing. What say you?
Old 12-26-2017, 02:58 PM

Can't say I care much, but yeah, I do not see a point to it. I have been checked with a signed and unsigned license. When it was unsigned, I was told to make sure I sign it. When I asked if I would I get in trouble if I don't, the guy said no, I would not. Doubt anyone cares, really.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:41 PM

If they didn’t have to be signed it would be much easier to have them as a digital copy. I don’t see the point in signing.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-26-2017, 04:35 PM

I was once asked for my fishing licence and it was not signed. He made me sign it on the spot and asked for ID
Old 12-26-2017, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I was once asked for my fishing licence and it was not signed. He made me sign it on the spot and asked for ID
Get everything in order,
before heading out.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:32 PM

Having the license on you is getting things in order, in my opinion. What is the point of that signature anyway?

I usually cut the license out and fold it twice and fit it into a plastic sleeve (size of a credit card) with some info visible. Once, I was checked and the guy didn't even take it out of the sleeve since he saw it was a valid license. Yet he asked if it is signed. I said that to tell the truth, I have no idea, I simply do not remember; in all likelihood it is though. He said, well, it doesn't matter. And it really doesn't. Like if it is unsigned they are going to catch more people fishing without a license or someone else's license?
Old 12-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Having the license on you is getting things in order, in my opinion. What is the point of that signature anyway?

I usually cut the license out and fold it twice and fit it into a plastic sleeve (size of a credit card) with some info visible. Once, I was checked and the guy didn't even take it out of the sleeve since he saw it was a valid license. Yet he asked if it is signed. I said that to tell the truth, I have no idea, I simply do not remember; in all likelihood it is though. He said, well, it doesn't matter. And it really doesn't. Like if it is unsigned they are going to catch more people fishing without a license or someone else's license?
Get everything in order,
before heading out.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:54 PM

I understand that and I try to follow these rules. My license was not signed once as far as I know. I do, however, still ask what is the point of the signature? Aside from the fact that it is required.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:57 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I understand that and I try to follow these rules. My license was not signed once as far as I know. I do, however, still ask what is the point of the signature? Aside from the fact that it is required.
Asking the wrong people here, contact the appropriate people and then give us the low down...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-26-2017, 11:02 PM

I wasn't the first to ask the question. Also, I do not really care enough, like I mentioned in my first post here. Lastly, I now remember why I stopped checking the general discussion section of this forum a while ago

Old 12-26-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:

I wasn't the first to ask the question. Also, I do not really care enough, like I mentioned in my first post here. Lastly, I now remember why I stopped checking the general discussion section of this forum a while ago

lol........................it doesn't matter what forum.............wiseguys are everywhere. I could have put the op in the fishing forum
Old 12-26-2017, 11:31 PM
Banned

Smile what is needed

what is needed
Old 12-27-2017, 03:14 AM

Still not sure why the paper copies are needed if uhave them on iPhone or pad.
Same with vehicle registration etc, in time I guess.

TBark
Old 12-27-2017, 04:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Still not sure why the paper copies are needed if uhave them on iPhone or pad.
Same with vehicle registration etc, in time I guess.

TBark
I've shown digital copies of my licence for as long as the Samsung note series has been out. I usually have a paper copy in the jeep but I never have to produce it unless my phone is dead. Just get yourself an app that allows you to edit pdfs on your phone and sign the digital copy with your finger or a stylus.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 AM

Likely another way to verify its you. Your drivers license has a signature and so does your passport.

It likely stretches back to when hunting and fishing licenses were paper booklets and had "stamps" to endorse the different tags/licenses. Like a federal
Migratory permit/license.

LC
Old 12-27-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Likely another way to verify its you. Your drivers license has a signature and so does your passport.

It likely stretches back to when hunting and fishing licenses were paper booklets and had "stamps" to endorse the different tags/licenses. Like a federal
Migratory permit/license.

LC
I started off by comparing hunting and fishing licenses. All coming from the same outfit (Alberta RELM). None of your hunting licenses require signatures, just the fishing license. There is no good reason for the fishing license to be different than any of the hunting licenses. And even if someone thinks there is a good reason, why not have a signature on all licenses? I buy the idea that signatures can help to identify a person, but a fishing license is not a document that is commonly used for identification. A PAL doesn't even have a place for a signature. Just sayin'...