Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2017, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up Tried something new for Christmas breakfast- crepes

I must be part French! Just a simple recipe of eggs flour salt butter water and milk, whipped until smooth then poured into a lightly oiled pan on medium heat, cooked until the edges are brown and then flipped. I filled them with strawberry or apricot jam and whip cream, and they were great!

I always wanted to make them, did not know they were so easy!

Whats on your plate this morning?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-25-2017, 11:54 AM

Made some nice homefries with pre boiled potato, onion and peppers, steamfried eggs in butter, and NO Bacon, that was poor or No planning forgetting to buy bacon
Old 12-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Banned

Fresh caught trout, bacon, over easy eggs and hash browns.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:06 PM

Mundare sausage, fried eggs,home made perogies fried in butter, onions and bacon
Won't be hungry til tomorrow lol
Old 12-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I must be part French! Just a simple recipe of eggs flour salt butter water and milk, whipped until smooth then poured into a lightly oiled pan on medium heat, cooked until the edges are brown and then flipped. I filled them with strawberry or apricot jam and whip cream, and they were great!

Palacsinta are popular at Xmas for the Hungarians- Kids like them dusted with Nestles Quik and rolled tightly and cut into coins. We had Sour Dough Waffles with mounds of Turkey Back Bacon.
Coffee and Rum Chata

Grandson coming tomorrow for Boxing Day Eggs Benny Fest and has requested Tejbegriz which is basically cream of wheat poured onto a shallow plate and dusted heavily with Quik and starting from the outside start scraping spoonfuls in concentric circles until you arrive at the center.

Last edited by omega50; 12-25-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:13 PM

Always wanted to try making crepes. Might just have to try it if they are that easy. Did you buy a crepe pan or just a regular one?
Old 12-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Dang Ken you got me hungry for them. My good wife is making some for me right now as we are having our Christmas dinner in two days when the kids will be here.
Crepes will more than do today. I smell them now.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Oh Yeaahh ,
You can also fill them with a dollop of cottage cheese and rolled up drizzle some favorite berry sauce over em and a dusting of icing sugar, yum, yum.

I just had toast and then for brunch mashed yams, baked garlic cauliflowers and a spiral cut ham.
Had turkey dinner the other day with Cousin and Family.

Seasons Greetings All.
Rob
Old 12-25-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Always wanted to try making crepes. Might just have to try it if they are that easy. Did you buy a crepe pan or just a regular one?
It was so easy once I got the hang of it; batter very thin and heat right. I just used a non stick 10" shallow aluminium pan. Quite thin batter is key

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-25-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Palacsinta are popular at Xmas for the Hungarians- Kids like them dusted with Nestles Quik and rolled tightly and cut into coins. We had Sour Dough Waffles with mounds of Turkey Back Bacon.
Coffee and Rum Chata.
Yes! Egen! We Hungarians (well, a couple generations back anyvays) roll up our crepes (palacsinta) with chocolate sauce, a creamed cottage cheese filling, or jam, put dem in a deep pan in the oven for a while and serve hot and wet! Oh! I gotta do dis now.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:16 PM

Crapes are great with lots of things! It can be a sweet crape filled with any jam, fruit, Nutella or whipped cream. Or a sour crape with eggs, cheese, omelet, sausages etc.
My favourite is the plain crape with sturgeon caviar, rolled in and used as a chaser for an ice cold vodka.
The lightly salted salmon roe will work as well!
Old 12-25-2017, 06:01 PM

Crepes have been a Xmas morning staple since we were young. Dad made them every Xmas morning. We use Nutella, berries, whipped cream or plain sugar as our fillings. Dad passed away 3 years ago and crepe making was never a skill I picked up. My younger bro has took over the tradition. I make the batter and he does the crepe making. Next year is my turn to man the grill.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Crapes are great with lots of things! It can be a sweet crape filled with any jam, fruit, Nutella or whipped cream. Or a sour crape with eggs, cheese, omelet, sausages etc.
My favourite is the plain crape with sturgeon caviar, rolled in and used as a chaser for an ice cold vodka.
The lightly salted salmon roe will work as well!
That is funny- I met a nice young Russian couple on the docks in Rupert when I was cleaning salmon. Her eyes got real big when I removed the roe, and they told me they did the same thing. She called it a 'very thin pancake' though. I gave them the roe from 2 salmon and then gave them a fully cleaned filleted salmon. Made their day, they stood and chatted for half an hour. Nice day.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:38 AM

Every Christmas the wife makes me wifesaver - with 🥓 instead of ham.

I look forward to it all year.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
That is funny- I met a nice young Russian couple on the docks in Rupert when I was cleaning salmon. Her eyes got real big when I removed the roe, and they told me they did the same thing. She called it a 'very thin pancake' though. I gave them the roe from 2 salmon and then gave them a fully cleaned filleted salmon. Made their day, they stood and chatted for half an hour. Nice day.
You made their day for sure! We don’t make our own but rather buying it from the Russian store. You can get a really good one here!
Old 12-26-2017, 02:22 PM

We had crepes yesterday morning as well. Have them quite often. Momma cooks down some raspberries or blueberries for the main filler and then top them off with banana and strawberry slices. Throw in some peacan halves, wrap it up and sprinkle with powdered sugar and whipped cream.

Nutella is wonderful as well.

No wonder I am so fat!

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 12-26-2017, 05:35 PM

Hey Ken, you might be part Ukrainian too. haha

Ukrainians have a food called 'nalysnyky'. They are a wrapped crepe too. You can fill them with different things.

http://proudofukraine.com/how-to-coo...snyky-recipes/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-26-2017, 05:46 PM

I apprenticed under "Chef Otto" and many moons ago he had the first crepe restaurant in Canada. In his honour here's his recipe:

6 cups milk (1 1/2 litres)
15 eggs
A pound of flour.

If it's too delicate for clumsy hands add a couple tablespoons of flour and an egg or two.

Best results when you make it the day before and let it rest in the fridge overnight. Take it out at least an hour before use, give it a light stir and skim off the froth that collects on top.

Feel free to add sugar or savoury stuff to suit your needs.

Happy cooking, Otto would b pleased for you to have his recipe.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:54 PM

If in downtown Edmonton there is a restaurant called " The Creperie". Been there for 30 years or more. Great food. They have an online menu.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-26-2017, 06:43 PM

butter them and put cinnamon mixed with sugar and roll them up. then just a drizzle of syrup and boom you have diabetes.lol
Old 12-26-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
If in downtown Edmonton there is a restaurant called " The Creperie". Been there for 30 years or more. Great food. They have an online menu.
They used to be very good 15-20 years ago. Not so much anymore...
Old 12-26-2017, 10:27 PM

We make them with a mushroom filling that I can’t get enough of. Sautéed mushrooms and onions with caraway seeds, salt and pepper and sour cream to make it saucy. Sooooo good, going to have to make them tomorrow
Old 12-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
They used to be very good 15-20 years ago. Not so much anymore...
I agree with KGB. Back in the day this was a nice place, but the last time I went the food was flat out bad and the place looked run down.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:45 PM

I am getting better, they are almost so thin they only have 1 side!
Trouble is, never having eaten one I do not know if they are 'right'?
Mine are soft, are the supposed to be crispy at all?