Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I’m going to bump this back up. My family and I will be heading back to PV area feb l. I will be fishing every morning again. This year we will be staying closer to PV near the paradise Village marina. I will be trying off the beach casting but this area doesn’t look like that’s going to be best, next option will be try to catch some fish off the rocks at the marina, couple morning trips to punta mita for some cliff fishing and if I can manage to pack it in I will be bringing my inflatable SUP Bote Bugslinger to try some deeper fishing.
Let me know if anyone is going earlier to report on fishing or going the same time I am maybe we can smack some water.

Good thread to bump back up, good hot vacation helps get a guy threw winter! Nice pics as well.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I'll need to get my picture off the camera, fishing by the palladium was tough but that was mostly due to the location , at high tidewe were stuck on the resort. But the upside is I did actually see jacks and roosterfish, just could not get them to bite. a number of time I was casting a boiling bait fish

One morning I had a massive amounts of bites I just could not keep a fish hooked up, I suspect they were needlefish.

The only fish I caught on an artificial was a puffer fish.

The last day I did chuck bait and manage to land a few snapper and something I would think is a sea bass.

For next time,

more bomber slab spoons, they casts like bullets and if you swap out the plain treble for a single bucktail they have a decent high speed action.

More soft plastics , all I has was 2" grubs but I think Carolina rigged soft plastics have some potential for the close in fish like snappers.

Bring tools and or a backup reel sand get everywhere

Next time we are thinking about Ixtapa

Raw what was the beach like around your resort we like the PV area

I have never used any of the bomber slab spoons. I will have to get a few. What size do you use?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:50 PM

I purchased I st croix 4 peice surf rod I believe it was 10’ maybe they make seve sizes. This year for surf fishing I will be using a penn spinfisher V 7500 LC. I just want to try it to see how far I cast. I have been using a penn feirce 4000 and a penn fierce II 4000 LL Excellent reeks for the money but they are not sealed as well as the more excencive penn reels so if you go for a swim like I usually do when you get back from the morning fish rinse it in the pool the fresh shower then when you get home strip it down and clean. I learned my lesson. You don’t need really heavy line 30lb braid is great I have never out casted a spool of 30lb I have ran out of line with 50lb. Like mentioned earlier the prime fishing is done for the year but who cares if I can fish in a warm beautiful spot I will every day any day over miserable cold Alberta.
You can always catch fish with shrimp and and pickerel rig. The two best lures I have found other than bait is #1 hands down shimano wax Wing stupid expensive but man the fish go nuts. Cast it out and just reel as fast as you can and the lure does all the work. I have picture above of that lure. The 118 and the 135 mm is what I use. Next is the Gibbs Polaris popper you need to do a little walk the dog with this one while you crank it in fast but that what I caught my biggest jack right on the public beach so I’m partial to that lure.
Step one for long flat beach fishing look way down both ways try spot Boiling fish
Step two figure out there direction of travel
Step three get in front of them
Step 4 launch a wax wing out and reel like a crazy man
In good fishing spots I have seen several boils in a morning in ****ty spot like out front nuavo Vallata I bait fish till I spot a boil that is. Then I quickly switch lures and sprint down the beach to try get to it your lucky to see one boil out front the public beach but it does happen. Punta de mita is much better for fish. Worth the $5 public bus ride.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:38 PM

I used the biggest 1 3/8 iirc bass pro has a similar lead casting spoon and I think it comes with a dressed hook which is something the slab spoon is missing. I wish the slab spoon came in a 2 and 3 oz version. You can't even buy a mold that is bigger than 1 3/8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 11-07-2017, 07:42 PM

A new lure to try is the yo-zuri mag darter it has a weight transfer system that should make it fly quite well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 PM

I went to a store called Zaragosta marina.....spend about 100 bucks and got a 8 ' rod and a ****ty reel that is now busted cause I got it wet....but I can make it work for now...i caught the sting rays just south of the royal dameron.....there is a empty field beside hotel.... .....just hucked out a 3 oz slip weight....treble hook and squid.....use squid.....

Suyalita tomorrow....ill try for different fish....i also bought a harpon gun thing and shot 2 fish!!!! Lol....
Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 PM

Going to bump this back up, headed out next month anybody had any success?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Banned

Cool thread. And timely as I'm headed to Maui in March. A question though, has anyone tried just whipping a Len Thompson out into the ocean? I mean they been a staple in my tackle box as long as I cam remember and produce every year so would they work in the ocean?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:17 AM

Len Thompson will work but not well. Freshwater fish tend to like spoons moving slow and methodical with a bit of twitching hear and there. Salt water fish like things moving at almost rocket speed with lots of action. With that type of retrieval rate the Thompson just becomes a top water lure skipping back to you on the surface. Spoon for salt fish are very slim or extra heavy this helps casting as well as keeps them down on fast retrieval.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:26 PM

Doube Trouble Fishing Charters
Manzanillo Mexico. Last week of November
2 days fishing. 1 220lb Blue Marlin (Pictured) 1 80lb Striped marlin, 3 Sailfish 50-80lbs and a Yellow fin tuna.
Captain Freddy is the man
Old 01-12-2018, 08:57 PM

That’s a beauty marlin!

I unfortunately had no luck with my shore fishing attempts in Sayulita, but I booked a boat (Cpt. Pablo in Sayulita) on our 3rd day there and we caught 13 Spanish mackerel, 2 rock fish, 2 chilli verde, and a decent sized red snapper in about 2 hours. My phone stayed at the condo since we had to wade out a bit to jump on the panga, so no pics unfortunately. We went out to deeper water to try for dorado and sailfish, but no luck. Our captain said it had been a slow week for both the big fish and the baitfish near shore. He wasn’t surprised I wasn’t having much luck from shore.

I met an old hippy fella on the beach at Sayulita who fished from shore everyday. He gave me a few tips. He used a 1 1/2oz slender silver spoon or a 1oz anchovy swim bait with decent success from shore. 40lb braid with a 50lb floro leader tied direct, no swivels. The best spot to beach fish at Sayulita is apparently north of the river on the main beach, about 3/4 of the way to the end of the beach walking north. There is a large drop 20’ off the shore where the fish like to hide. Take his advice with a grain of salt though, I only had a couple nibbles off the beach. It’s also a pain to avoid the swimmers and beach walkers in Sayulita, I’ll find a more remote fishing spot next year.

I had bought a 8’ MH Rapala 4 piece bait casting surf rod to bring down. I gave it a cursory fit up with an existing abu ambassador reel and everything seemed fine. Once I got down there and was throwing 1-2 oz lures regularly, I found the rod seats were a bit shallow for my reel. The reel kept twisting out of the seats after 3-4 cast and retrieves. It’s easily fixable with my garage full of tools,but I had nothing to work with on the beach.I wish I would have tossed a few heavy lures on that rod/reel combo before I went down.

I would have rather had a longer rod than 8’, but I scored a pretty good deal on the 8’ from Wholesale sports liquidation sale. With the 8’ rod I had to wade out knee deep to get the distance required to be anywhere where there might be fish. A 12’ would make life easier.

Last edited by Etownpaul; 01-12-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
That’s a beauty marlin!

I unfortunately had no luck with my shore fishing attempts in Sayulita, but I booked a boat (Cpt. Pablo in Sayulita) on our 3rd day there and we caught 13 Spanish mackerel, 2 rock fish, 2 chilli verde, and a decent sized red snapper in about 2 hours. My phone stayed at the condo since we had to wade out a bit to jump on the panga, so no pics unfortunately. We went out to deeper water to try for dorado and sailfish, but no luck. Our captain said it had been a slow week for both the big fish and the baitfish near shore. He wasn’t surprised I wasn’t having much luck from shore.

I met an old hippy fella on the beach at Sayulita who fished from shore everyday. He gave me a few tips. He used a 1 1/2oz slender silver spoon or a 1oz anchovy swim bait with decent success from shore. 40lb braid with a 50lb floro leader tied direct, no swivels. The best spot to beach fish at Sayulita is apparently north of the river on the main beach, about 3/4 of the way to the end of the beach walking north. There is a large drop 20’ off the shore where the fish like to hide. Take his advice with a grain of salt though, I only had a couple nibbles off the beach. It’s also a pain to avoid the swimmers and beach walkers in Sayulita, I’ll find a more remote fishing spot next year.

I had bought a 8’ MH Rapala 4 piece bait casting surf rod to bring down. I gave it a cursory fit up with an existing abu ambassador reel and everything seemed fine. Once I got down there and was throwing 1-2 oz lures regularly, I found the rod seats were a bit shallow for my reel. The reel kept twisting out of the seats after 3-4 cast and retrieves. It’s easily fixable with my garage full of tools,but I had nothing to work with on the beach.I wish I would have tossed a few heavy lures on that rod/reel combo before I went down.

I would have rather had a longer rod than 8’, but I scored a pretty good deal on the 8’ from Wholesale sports liquidation sale. With the 8’ rod I had to wade out knee deep to get the distance required to be anywhere where there might be fish. A 12’ would make life easier.

How far off shore did you catch the snapper and mackerel? I’m assuming you where jigging for them, then headed out trolling for Mahi Mahi ?
Old 01-13-2018, 05:30 PM

We were about 300 yards off shore when we caught the mackerel and snapper. We first tried using live sardines and hand casting our baited hooks into the boil of mackerel,but we were having little success ( this worked great for us last year). Our captain decided we should change it up and we trolled slowly near the mackerel boil with 3” mid diving rapalas and we started catching them steady. The captain was chumming the water the whole time, throwing sardines in the path of our lures. Mackerel have really hard mouths and I think the treble hooks on the rapalas was the reason we had better hook ups. You don’t have much time on a single point hook to set it before they are gone.

The snapper hit on a rapala as well, which was kind of random because I’ve only caught them bottom fishing before.

We trolled at a faster speed for the Mahi Mahi , probably about a mile from shore. We followed a commercial long line parallel to the shoreline, hoping to catch some stragglers that were attracted by their bait. We followed it for 3 miles or so and had 2 hits, but unless you set the hook at the right time, they are gone. Mahi mahi only seemed to hit the rods we had in the rod holders (we trolled 4 lines total), so it was tough to hook em.

Our trip cost us $300US for 4 hours and was totally worth it. Out of that you lose about an hour between travel time to the fishing spots and time to gather bait fish, so 3 hours actually fishing. You pay for the boat, so you could split it up to 6 ways if you really wanted to. I’d rather pay more and have it just the wife and I (with the captain and deckhand). My wife only likes fishing in Mexico now because it’s too slow a pace for her here lol.

Last edited by Etownpaul; 01-13-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:30 PM

This year I want to try get a few of those mackerel from my paddle board. I won’t be trolling but I can try cast into the bait balls. Also seen guys having succes with sabiki rigs.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:42 PM

Anybody been to the PV area fishing? Countdown is on only ten days till I fly out.cant wait to smack some salty water.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:31 AM

Don't forget that Mexico doesn't allow fishing gear in your carry-on luggage. No rods, no reels, and of course - no hooks of any description!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Don't forget that Mexico doesn't allow fishing gear in your carry-on luggage. No rods, no reels, and of course - no hooks of any description!

When did that happen, as of last March I always traveled with my reels in my carry on.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:35 AM

I just got back last week, and the warning is on the signs in the security line-up.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:46 AM

OK good to know
Old 02-05-2018, 01:14 PM

I always used to Carrie rods and reels as my second piece of carrie on luggage! good thing I bought a hard case this year, Figured they would have frowned upon a spear gun as a Carrie on so Rod’s and spear gun will now be in a hard case under plane cross my fingers nothing gets broken.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wow that good to know, leaving this week so all is going below.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-12-2018, 05:14 PM

Heading down in a couple of days. Anyone know if you need a licence/permit to fish the surf. I believe I don't but my kid has been reading stories about corrupt cops trying to make you pay if you don't have one. Thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 09:40 AM

From my understanding you do not need a licence to fish salt water Mexico unless you are in a motorized boat. So kayak and surf is free. I have heard of cops asking, personally I have never seen a cop on the beach And coast guard down there have no interest stopping a kayak. If you worried keep $10 in your pocked and pay them off that’s pretty much what they are looking for anyway. Whatever you do don’t give them your original drivers licence. Make a couple part copies and only carry the paper one And $10 cash. If they get ahold of your original they have all the power for bargening.

I am off to neuavo Vallarta tomorrow if anyone is in that area PM me or post hear and let’s go out and fish.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:35 PM

The cops asked me if I was having any luck on the beach in Sayulita. I told them no and they pointed me over to an area where they usually fish.

You don’t need a license from shore or from non motorized boats, but when I have taken motor boats fishing I’ve never even given them my last name so I’m not sure if licensing is very strict down there.

There is a law regarding keeping a certain distance from swimmers, I believe it’s 250m. It’s not enforced either. I had to keep an eye out for people swimming parallel to the beach, they just swim right in front of where you are casting.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I just got back last week, and the warning is on the signs in the security line-up.
Anymore updates on traveling with fishing stuff to Mexico?
It seems that only hooks larger then 6 cm are prohibited in carry on baggage.
http://www.catsa.gc.ca/complete-item...ubmit.y=0&nid=
Old 03-10-2018, 08:25 AM

I am back and have pictures of the trip but my computer is down for the count so I will be posting back up here once it up and running. As for traveling with gear. I put everything under the plane in a hard case. I talked to several guys down there they all carried on there fishing rods. They won’t let you take any hooks whatsoever on a carry on don’t even try or you will loose them. Fishing this year was great from the surf, until they brought out the nets, luckily I left on the 26th of feb and the inshore netters showed up on the 27th. I had a buddy who was still down there we had been catching 7-15 fish in 30 minutes at first light the day the nets where put in he got one fish all morning.

To be warrend about the catsa web sight. Just because it says something is permitted as carryon or check doesn’t mean they won’t take it away from you. Those people have almost zero training and don’t know the rules really more than you or I if they have been told no fishing hooks on carry ons they won’t measure the hook size,they will just confiscate, and try argue with them is like talking to a wall. Most of them are minimum wage new Canadians that have never been outside the city and don’t even know what fishing is. They think fish at grown in the back of a supermarket then sold. For example I had a 12 volt sealed battery to run my fishfinder on my paddleboard, checked the catsa web sight eveything added up under 100 kw, it was sealed,I had taped the terminals and placed it in a reinforced box so it wouldn’t get crushed. Get to Mexico and it’s gone, replaced with a letter saying I had tried traveling with dangerous goods and the baggage people had confiscated the battery. So I had no battery for the trip that meant no fishfinder.

Last edited by raw outdoors; 03-10-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM

Default Question

we are heading down next month to p.v.

hoping to bring back some fillets with us.

any issues or tips? brought some back from cabo

but that was years ago.

appreciate any info

Orv
Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM

Orv buddy!!! My friend from PCR!!!

I got back a while ago...caught small fish...i think punta de mita is best bet...talk to the guys at marine and see whats best....

I.was fishing from shore.....with squid....

Caught sting rays...and other wierd stuff...lol

Happy
Old 03-14-2018, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=happyfisher;3751248]Orv buddy!!! My friend from PCR!!!

I got back a while ago...caught small fish...i think punta de mita is best bet...talk to the guys at marine and see whats best....

I.was fishing from shore.....with squid....

Caught sting rays...and other wierd stuff...lol

Happy[/QUOTE

How are ya! we are going with the same guys we went with last year
4 hour trip in a panga. we had a blast. probably do 2 trips
this time. be great if we could snag a dorado or two.

Orv
Old 03-14-2018, 04:24 PM

ok so my computer is kinda up and running so this is my catches and experience from this Feb 2018 PV mexico trip first couple days i fished off the rocks at neuavo valarta marina with some success the locks had i bit different setup then me and man did they out fish me with all kinds of small fish but they where a bit jelious because i wed the only one catching mackerel these are from off the rocks. they hit a silver cast master with a sibiki rig infront of it some i caught on the spike some on the kastmaster till one mackerel decided he wanted to take my spoon. the locals had been using a swivel and attached to that swivel was two pieces of leader line tied to a small 1/4 oz jig with white feathers or a white tube one jig was tied about two inches shorter of the other all of there deadheads where silver i think it was just lead with no paint. but i sure will be adding a couple of those to my tackle as it was not uncommon for them to get two fish at a time. fishing from this location i guy could use his regular alberta rod and reel as you don't need to cast far or retrieve fast

next couple days i spent soft fishing right out infront of our resort with slow success maybe two of three small jack. the fish where just like a lightswitch when the morning sun was over the horizon they would light up as soon as the sun was over the horizon and had no ore colour to it they totally shut off.

i defiantly did not see any big fish this year not one boil or any sign at all.

then i tried going out to punta de mita the surf fishing there is much better usually but this year it was also very slow i caught some kid of rock fish and a big needle fish that tossed the hook. it was not as productive as the past years.
the rockfish i had sought had just eaten some kind of baitfish that looked like a brown mani mani then he named my shamano wax wing.

cool rocks
with the slow morning out in punta i decided to just stay out front of the resort as the acton really started to pick up once i put on a gold and red kastmaster lure. once i figured out thats what they wanted i caught 10-15 jack with the odd other fish mixed in every morning. then when the fishing died off i would paddle out on my board a jig for snapper but this season i only caught a couple small ones.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/sl92wkvs5/]

Last edited by raw outdoors; 03-14-2018 at 04:54 PM.