Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 PM

Default Another Gravel Pit Application along Stauffer Creek

Folks,

Border paving is hosting an information meeting about a proposed gravel pit near Stauffer Creek. This pit will be located with 1/2 mile of the headsprings.

regards,

Don

Old 06-25-2015, 10:22 AM

Don,

What can the average gut do regarding this application? What do you recommend the outdoorsmen community does and do you think this would have an impact on applications such as this?
Old 06-25-2015, 10:56 AM

Realistically can people prevent from this happening? I mean it seems like they've been proposing this pit for a while.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:55 AM

If the closest the pit or the traffic gets to the creek is half a mile, I'm not sure if that would pose any sort of threat. That seems pretty far to me.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
If the closest the pit or the traffic gets to the creek is half a mile, I'm not sure if that would pose any sort of threat. That seems pretty far to me.
X2
Old 06-25-2015, 12:31 PM

I guess prevailing wind might be a factor.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:49 PM

Disturbing headwater areas will have impact on the area long term. You can't reclaim a gravel pit either, unless you put the gravel back. The gravels are part of what filters and percolates the rain and snow which supplies the headwater aquifer. There is no need to disturb those areas when the province has many non sensitive gravel stock areas.

If you look along the North Saskatchewan river almost every inside bend is being mined for gravel by LaFarge. Eventually, the river will become more silty and more prone to pollution because those removed gravels will not be filtering and percolating the water.

The gravel companies are also capturing about 70 kg. of gold each year in Alberta which tells me they are not just interested in the gravel.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-25-2015, 07:43 PM

Disturbing headwater areas will have impact on the area long term. You can't reclaim a gravel pit either, unless you put the gravel back. The gravels are part of what filters and percolates the rain and snow which supplies the headwater aquifer. There is no need to disturb those areas when the province has many non sensitive gravel stock areas.

If you look along the North Saskatchewan river almost every inside bend is being mined for gravel by LaFarge. Eventually, the river will become more silty and more prone to pollution because those removed gravels will not be filtering and percolating the water.

The gravel companies are also capturing about 70 kg. of gold each year in Alberta which tells me they are not just interested in the gravel.

x2

Last edited by Reinchampion; 06-25-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: No quotation marks
Old 06-25-2015, 10:00 PM

What the sportsman can do?
1) Individually, write the County of Clearwater expressing your concerns.
2) Pressure the ACA, TU & AF&G to oppose the proposal. They are joint landowners 1/2 mile from the site.

Don
Old 06-25-2015, 10:12 PM

About the site:
1) the water table is 4>5' down.
2) the site is part of an alluvial Flood plain
3) The Clearwater River used to run through the site.

About the proposal:
Nothing is yet known. If it is a wet pit, dewatering will release large amounts of water/silt into Stauffer. If the pit is dry, water releases may not be needed.

About Stauffer Creek:
It is the only decent spring creek in Alberta. It is located within 2.5 hours or less from 2,500,000 people. Most of the mileage is public land and can be accessed by you and me. It does have noted hatches like brown and green drakes. Brown trout exceed 27" in some areas. Brook trout exist in the headwater areas. Over the past 40 years, thousands of $'s and hundreds of man days of effort has hauled Stauufer back from the brink of being just another agri-sewer.

Is Stauffer worth the effort. Guess that depends on the person. I know what my vote has been with the hundreds of hours and my money that has been spent on the creek.

Don
Old 06-26-2015, 12:09 AM

Is Stauffer worth the effort?

Every creek, stream and river is worth the effort.

The one thing I ponder is.... being that browns and brookies were introduced about 90 years ago, prior to that time was there a native fish population in Stauffer?

And thank you Don Anderson for your dedication and efforts on the ground and with your written word. A true soldier with a good cause.

I just read a past article you wrote, "Watching a creek die! One man's observations." Excellent writing and great information on Stauffer.

Hope you don't mind me reposting the article. I think others would enjoy reading it.

http://bamboorods.ca/Stauffercreekstory.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg human spirit.jpg (37.5 KB, 32 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 06-26-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:58 AM

Red Bullets,

The pike, ling cod, suckers and whitefish still exist in the areas of the creek accessible. Stauffer Creek is probably closer to what existed prior to white man arrival than any other stream located in Agri-Alberta.

And I have heard of the odd bull trout showing up. The Bulls will never be abundant due to the influence of the Red Deer Dam.

Regards,

Don
Old 06-26-2015, 05:17 PM

"If you look along the North Saskatchewan river almost every inside bend is being mined for gravel by LaFarge. Eventually, the river will become more silty and more prone to pollution because those removed gravels will not be filtering and percolating the water."

what do you call close to the north sask? How many miles?
Old 06-27-2015, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc3r View Post
"If you look along the North Saskatchewan river almost every inside bend is being mined for gravel by LaFarge. Eventually, the river will become more silty and more prone to pollution because those removed gravels will not be filtering and percolating the water."

what do you call close to the north sask? How many miles?
In alot of places the gravel pits are 1 or 2 hundred meters from the river . Look on google earth or google maps upsteam of Edmonton all the way to Drayton Valley. Both sides of the river.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:06 PM

Another attack on the North Raven. Red Deer County granted a permit for gravel extraction from NE-20-36-4W5 back in 2008. The North Raven flows through this quarter and Pidherney has dug down to ground water in the adjoining area. I am sure that the water in the pit is in communication with that in the creek as there is only a matter of a few yards separating them. With the expiry of the initial five year permit we are awaiting a renewed application. The area is now in a County designated ESA - environmentally significant area. However experience tells us that the County P&D department ignore any such restriction when recommending gravel extraction approvals. Fortunately AESRD has actually taken an interest ... quite surprising.... and is calling for reclamation of the existing pit due to conflict with the Water Act. Bravo!
I agree with other posters that there can be very extensive groundwater communication around our waterways, and we need to fight to prevent excavation of these aquifers.
I for one will be at the Open House on July 2nd. I hope many others will join to express their concerns.

Incidentally last year a fisherman caught a 28 inch brown in the creek flowing through my quarter, and another landed an 18 inch.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:52 AM

The Border Paving info night is now over.

What was learned:

1) the Border property has both a wet pit component and a dry pit component. Border is asking for a development permit for the dry pit only.
2) anticipated life will be <> 20 years.
3) local issues around truck traffic, dust and noise
4) as the water table is not effected, a dry pit should have little effect on Stauffer.
5) adjacent to the Border Proposal on the south side is a pre-existing dry pit.
6) the next phase is the application goes to the Development Officer to compile for the Development Board.
7) letters of concern should be addressed to the Development officer of the Clearwater County
8) these letters should be done quickly as there is usually a time requirement.

The meeting was well attended by a number of local folks. Some were concerned about the water, others about impact on their quality of life with the noise, traffic etc.

Trout Unlimited had representatives from Calgary, Edmonton and Central. The Edmonton Trout Club was represented. ACA had two reps. I am not aware of any other outdoor organizations in attendance.

And lastly, I've attended a lot of public meetings over the years and rarely have encountered presentations as good as this. No Power Point, just a handout that was explained well by the presenter. Damn but Govt and Oil Companies could learn something here.

Regards,

Don