Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2015, 11:11 PM

Default Trip of a lifetime

I will be 60 this year and my wife, god bless her, has told me to go on my dream trip. Probably gonna be as much fun planning as going.
I want a trout fishing, river trip, somewhere between Alaska and Patagonia and the Alberta East Slopes and Kamchatka. Big area and big expectations. Looking for àny special places you know of or would recommend. I am not a high tech guy but I have fished all over Canada. I would like a low key trip with a nice atmosphere.

Thanks for any help! I will certainly appreciate it.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:30 PM

Doesn't fit your parameters, but I'd go to New Zealand. Friendly people, good beer and countless streams packed with monster Browns. It's easy to do a self propelled trip there as well. Rent a car and go.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:50 AM

This could be fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2snYjIbSHHw
Old 06-27-2015, 07:14 AM

Belize?! Easter Island?

-Confucius
Old 06-27-2015, 07:18 AM

I will only look at trout and river fishing. If I open it up to everything I might go a little snakey! Would like a flats trip, but I think I can sneak that into a winter vacation with that wonderful wife!
Thanks anyway Uber.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Banned

Default How about this?

-Remote cabin in Alaska,access via 80 mile boat ride up river or float plane?
-Pick your salmon species based on timing.Huge resident Rainbow/Grayling,Dollies available throughout season but best targeted in Sept.-Oct. if trout is your focus?
-specialized in flyfishing only,both single hand and Spey

Fwiw,I am dreaming of booking with this guy myself and would consider his day rates EXTREMELY reasonable for such an Alaskan adventure experience,ie;it's considerably less than a typical day's guided float on the Bow!

'Lil teaser for ya...lemme know if you'd like his contact info?

Seasons & Species
The various species of fish are best sought out during Spring – Summer or Fall depending on what it is you want most to target. This is due to several factors, the most important of which are water conditions. Salmon for instance, begin entering the rivers by early to mid June and continue throughout September. First come the Kings followed closely by Chum and then Sockeye & Silvers. The Pink Salmon come interspersed with Chum & Sockeye in this part of the state. You can contact me for more specific dates for various species.
Trout and Grayling are present throughout the year but conditions are the best beginning September 10′th through October 30. One reason for this rather small window here in the Matanuska Susitna Drainage is that many of the rivers find their origins at the foot of a glacier. As the weather warms the glacier melts and the waters carry silt which gives them a muddy appearance and the flows become high. In very early spring and fall the flows are more consistent because either; the glaciers have not began to melt or will begin freezing overnight in the cool fall temperatures. With the freezing comes lower flows and crystal clear waters. We have some rivers and creeks that remain clear throughout the seasons and in these, trout can be fished for at any time. Moral of this paragraph; If you want to fish Grayling & Rainbow, schedule for Fall…………

Last edited by grinr; 06-27-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduck View Post
I will only look at trout and river fishing. If I open it up to everything I might go a little snakey! Would like a flats trip, but I think I can sneak that into a winter vacation with that wonderful wife!
Thanks anyway Uber.
Would Golden Dorado fall into your criteria? at one time we thought they were trouty, they live in rivers.

Barring that I would personally have to go somewhere for super browns so I would suggest NZ
Old 06-27-2015, 10:44 AM

I would PM SNAPFisher and have a chat. Might lead to something.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=montana

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 AM

Been seeing some cool fishing stuff coming out of Russia lately. That could be an interesting trip, very much a unique and once in a lifetime trip.
First thing I'd seen on it years ago was using gophers, to fish Taimen (?) I believe it was, at the time. That looked like way too much fun.
Then there are Peacock bass in Central America, and one that Lefty Kreh fished for Borneo or some place out there, that he said was the toughest fish he had ever fought, there is a vid on You Tube about that.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:27 PM

http://www.thrillon.com/tag/anglers-alibi-2014

Check this place out!
1 walleye
25 browns
1 whitefish
1 lake trout
1 sucker
Old 06-29-2015, 08:52 PM

Have you looked at jurassic lake in Argentina? Huge fish and looks like a blast
Old 06-29-2015, 09:04 PM

Hi agree duck,
I have a fishing lodge in the Northwest Territories we are 227 air miles NE of Yellowknife. We have lots of huge lake trout and massive arctic grayling in the rivers and lake.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:11 PM

Arctic Char!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:01 PM

Check out the Solid Adventures camp on Jurassic Lake. They are right by the only tributary to the lake, and the river offers incredible fishing!

http://solidadventures.com/jurassic-lake-argentina/
Old 07-01-2015, 06:00 PM

This Lodge was featured in one of the fly fishing film tours. I like what they have to offer:

http://westernalaskasportfishing.com

Good luck with your choice.

Steev
Old 07-02-2015, 09:38 AM

Default Fly fishing

Have you tried atlantic salmon fishing especially in New Brunswick or Labrador. It's exciting and right here in Canada.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
Have you tried atlantic salmon fishing especially in New Brunswick or Labrador. It's exciting and right here in Canada.
X2!!
Grew up in NB,fished the Miramichi for 30+ years,been tuff fishing last cpl years with lowest returns in recorded history,but this year looks promising to start,lots of optimism back east with new 100% C&R.
Some are surmising that the excellent returns of 2010 & 2011 may be the significant factor contributing to this season's good start with fish spawned then now returning as grilse and MSW (multi sea winter)salmon.

Personal bucket list/dream trips for me would DEFINATELY include Labrador(Eagle R.,Flowers R etc.) and if $$ was no object,the Ponoi R./Kola Penninsula,Russia for MONSTER 'lantics....unfortunately,unless I win the lotto Ponoi is likely to remain above my pay grade for prime time bookings at $15K/wk!!

Last edited by grinr; 07-02-2015 at 10:56 AM.