Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

Default Giant burbot

Got off today....9" hole was waaay to small for his head to get through. I was using 6lb test and had him to the bottom of the hole. Came up perfect, head first. But when he got to the hole i realized there was nooo way he was coming through it. I would have estimated his weight at well over 20lbs...could have touched 30lbs. After a few minutes of struggling he spit my barbless 1/4 oz jig head.

This was an unreal sight to see. When he got off he just slowly swam to the bottom. This was a true monster fish, that would have smashed the AB record, and im sure it would have topped the list for 6lb test....I know exactly where i will be at 7am tomorrow morning...

Any one pull any big burbot through the ice this year?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 PM

Lake X?? Sounds crazy!!!!!!! Hope someone gets that bad boy through a hole!

tight lines!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:51 AM

Wow that is a huge one. Sounds like "Burbot Hunter"!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Gone Hunting

We used to catch the odd one over twenty pounds in the Peace River years ago. Back then we used set lines, lines that were left out overnight which are illegal now. So I haven't see anything big caught in the river for years.

We didn't have a scale back then so I don't know how much they really weighed, but I do know that it was believed that they were over twenty pounds. I believe that estimate was based largely on feel, based on year and years of lifting known weights such as sacks of flour, hogs for market ext.

I also know that we have weighed a considerable number of fish since then and 25lb + fish are not uncommon in that river.
As I recall a 26lb Dolly was caught off the boat launch in the town of Peace River in the mid sixties. It was reported in the Record Gazette. So I have no trouble believing that Ling, which is what we called them, could be well over 20 lbs.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:37 AM

What size was the hole?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
What size was the hole?
9 inch 4 ish words into the story
Old 03-20-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
What size was the hole?
Reading comprehension fail.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:56 AM

Here we go again , world record all tackle burbot is just over 25lbs , caught last spring by the fishinggeeks. Burbot of that size are obviously NOT common , as the last record was 22 and change ! Too bad you couldn't get it up , it does sound like a monster !
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Yeah, yeah, I see it now..I missed it the first time around.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 AM

if u threw your bait back in the hole there would be a very good chance he would bite it again...
Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 AM

That would be one heck of a Burbot.Good luck with your hunt.
Here's a related link that's interesting.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/...e-10-inch-hole

Ken
Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Always an interesting topic, monster burbot that have been caught. Lots of talk always of 20+ fish from the past. To keep this going, anyone have any pics of huge burbs from the past?

Here is an old catch, was pretty tight getting the head through an 8 inch hole.

good luck as you chase that monster you saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burb1a.jpg (83.9 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg burb2a.jpg (61.9 KB, 439 views)
Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Thumbs up

good luck to you
Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 AM

thats one huge burbot and the other ones pretty big too congratz.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Gone Hunting

I wonder how many big fish from the past never saw any public exposure.
I know I have seen quiet a few monsters that were never weighed and never photographed.
I have no doubt that a lot of other folks have seen more then I have.

What some folks don't realize is that trophy hunting and fishing is something that is relatively new to a lot of northern folk.
Burbot, (Ling) were often thrown in the bush by folks I knew when I was growing up. We eat them, but most of our neighbours would not.
Also, when I was young a lot of folks used nets in the river, those nets caught some real monsters. Back then no one I know ever thought in terms of trophy fish or deer. Fishing in hunting was all about food.
There are some old photos around showing a very few of these, but most were
never recorded in any way.

I'll look around to see what I can find. but I may not find anything. It has been a lot of years since I went through some of those old photos, I'm not sure what I have left.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I know I have seen quiet a few monsters that were never weighed and never photographed.

What some folks don't realize is that trophy hunting and fishing is something that is relatively new to a lot of northern folk.
Burbot, (Ling) were often thrown in the bush by folks I knew when I was growing up. We eat them, but most of our neighbours would not.
Also, when I was young a lot of folks used nets in the river, those nets caught some real monsters. Back then no one I know ever thought in terms of trophy fish or deer. Fishing in hunting was all about food.

I'll look around to see what I can find. but I may not find anything. It has been a lot of years since I went through some of those old photos, I'm not sure what I have left.
Good points. I look at some of the current AB records and can't help but think larger fish have been caught (in some species categories anyways) just never recorded/documented/photographed yadayada. I've also tried to find exact locations and lures/baits used to catch some of these records. Very tough info to find. Which is a good thing
GL finding that huge ling 'albertadeer', she's a waiting for ya, now you know where she resides
Cheers!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

I completely agree. We used to night target BIG BURB's/Ling at Lake MacGregor when others would toss em on the bank for the birds and coyotes. Gorgeous fish, fantastic taste, glad they've some protection now.

I'm going to go dig through old photographs as I know there is one with 3, 25lb + burbs in it.

Going off thread,,,
As for the rigging, my Dads friend (R.I.P) had a bait hook that would set quickly and not get gulped deep. That's another job too, going through the old lures.

Do you ever go through old lures and then sit and reminisce on every lunker and fish the lure caught? We're thinking of framing some. My neice who was learning how to fish, was reaching for one of the oldies and I had to take it away from her. She argued that it looked old and I probably wouldn't mind if she lost it to a branch. That's what new lures are for m'dear.

My Dad (he's up there in age), wants to be buried with 2 specific rods,, one looks like a piece of crrap but is seriously the best rod of the rack, it's 60 years old and has caught everything from moster pike thru Tyee and everything in between.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Going off thread...
i seen a massive pike bottomed out a 40lb scale i belive or 35lb but the thing was massive it was about 5 feet long and very thick i said he could have got a recored he said he wass gonna eat it...
Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 PM

he gave us a few of his lures including the one he caught it with he just bassicly threw em at us LOL
Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 PM

isnt the world record burbot 24 pounds???
Old 03-20-2011, 08:05 PM

22 i think caught by the konrads bros "the best fishermans"
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 PM

Monster burbot. Thread caught my eye. lol. Good luck on the hunt. took us 4 years of fishing dief in feb-may 5-6 times a month to catch ours. Yeah the one i pulled out last year at this time was 25lbs 2oz. Was a true blob, and a new World Record. Only had 41inch lenght but the girth was UNREAL for a burbot, 24.5 inch. Iv heard ALOT or rumors of bigger ones being caught but not documented, sofar they are just rumors. Good luck and fish hard.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 PM

great fish bud!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 PM

You geeks rock I tell you. I grew up fishing Def being from Moose Jaw. I have seen some BIG fish out of there. Loved it years ago when the nets went down. Hence some of the big azz trout in there. But this Burb is a frickn monster. Trade ya my wife for the location......

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Gone Hunting

The IGFA recognizes the world record burbot as caught on Lake Diefenbaker, Canada by Sean Konrad on March 27, 2010. The fish weighed 25 pounds 2 ounces.

I find it interesting that the World record was caught in 2010. Anyone who fished much back in the sixties knows that the occurrence of large trophy sized fish has steadily declined over the years.

This actually started well before the sixties and it is the reason Trophy lakes like Winefred Lake Gardiner Lake and Namur Lake were given special status.

I suspect that there are much bigger Burbot out there then 25 pounds. But that so few are pursuing them that only a few of the really large ones caught have been submitted. I believe there is a very high potential for anyone who wishes to try for a record sized Burbot.

Alberta Deer, I would encourage you to go all out for that fish, it could well be the new world record.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

No luck for eel pout today. Only managed a dozen whites a dozen or so perch and 5 big pike. The biggest being 18lbs on my perch set up "4lb test"

On the note of big Burb from this lake "Snipe lake" Two winters ago we saw a old timer pull a HUGE ling on the ice fishing for whites. He bonked it on the head called it some choice words and kicked it to the side. They soon left and on our way out we picked up the prized beast...We just wanted to eat it! We gutted it out and brought it home, once home we put it on the scales 18lbs gutted. No doubt a 20+ fish!

I hope i get some more days off soon! got the itch to stay out late!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 PM

Many years ago my Dad caught a big burbot on a braided line wrapped around a hockey stick at Wizard Lake. We had an 8 inch hole and it would not fit up out of it, couldn't get the head in all the way and it got stuck. Dad had to cut the line and push the fish back down with the stick. Would have liked to see how big it was....

Lefty
Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinggeek View Post
Monster burbot. Thread caught my eye. lol. Good luck on the hunt. took us 4 years of fishing dief in feb-may 5-6 times a month to catch ours. Yeah the one i pulled out last year at this time was 25lbs 2oz. Was a true blob, and a new World Record. Only had 41inch lenght but the girth was UNREAL for a burbot, 24.5 inch. Iv heard ALOT or rumors of bigger ones being caught but not documented, sofar they are just rumors. Good luck and fish hard.

my gawd i'll be sleeping with the light on tonight
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 PM

Very Nice .. WOW ..next PIKE !!! :-]
Old 03-20-2011, 10:02 PM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
my gawd i'll be sleeping with the light on tonight
hahaha!