Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Muzzle loader bullets

While preparing for my Wainwright primative weapons hunt I picked up some different saboted muzzle loader bullets. I had been shooting a Barnes Expander- MZ 250 gr. bullet that had a really big holloed out section hollow point. They shot well but it was very hard to load another round after the first shot.

I got ahold of some Nosler saboted muzzle loader bullets and they loaded quite easily and perhaps too easily as they key-holed and shot erratically.

Back country sports in Red Deer had a sale on and they had some Barnes Expander Spit-Fire MZ bullets (245 gr.) at a reduced price. I picked up a couple pkgs. and they loaded tight but not too hard to push down. And they shot fairly well. (2.5 in. at 100 yards).

I killed two bucks at Wainwright with them and came home with my rifle still loaded.

Well I finally got around to unloading it today and this is what I did.

I made a kind of long box with 1X4" just wide enough to hold a 4L milk jug filled with water, between the sides. I put 8 jugs filled with water side by side in the box. I took the last target I had shot with the rifle and put it on a 1" board in front of the milk jugs. I could only get 55 yards in a straight line from my back stop and so I shot from that range.

The bullet hit right in the middle of the old 100 yard group that was on the target. The bullet passed through the first two jugs blowing them apart and ripping them end to end. It continued into the next two jugs and stopped in the forth jug. The fifth jug had a small hole in one side and was leaking water.

The bullet looks just about like the picture on the package of the Barnes bullets. Six "petals" (with sharp edges) pealed back from the bace.

And

Robin in Rocky
Old 12-20-2008, 05:28 PM

Looks good to me.

I may have to get my .50 out and see what mine will do....
Old 12-20-2008, 08:19 PM

Duffy, did you recover any sabots from the bucks you shot? I'm curious to know if they passed through or expanded like the ones in your water jug test. I have had great results from Hornady 250gr sst's. They don't quite look like yours when recovered but they do put the deer down. My Omega is particular to them I tried 300gr. nosler (sprayed em all over the place) and some 250gr T/C shockwaves (grouped ok) but nothing like the sst's.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:41 PM

..... impressive, thanks four sharing.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Gone Hunting

The two deer I shot this year were pass throughs. I have shot an antelope buck and a white-tail doe with the other Expanders and they passed through as well. All of them died pretty fast and leaked pretty good.

Next time I will not shoot through a 1" board before going into the water and see if the results change.