Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Reeves01

Default Wood Ducks

Anyone know if there are any that call Edmonton area home ? I live an hour(ish) N.W. of the city & have some nest box plans I can use to make them at home.....if they haunt the area. (never seen them in the creek next to my place...yet)
Old 03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
sheep hunter

Very rare in Alberta!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Reeves01

yup....went looking after posting...

weaselhead.org/profile/?s=30

sorry !

But the good news is, I now cut my work load down by one !
Old 03-02-2007, 03:46 PM
280 Man

Yes, Wood Ducks are very rare in Alberta, and nesting Wood Ducks may even be more scarse. However, other species such as Common Goldeneye and Buffleheads are quite common in the boreal and they are both cavity nesters which will use your nest boxes.

280 Man
Old 03-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Wood Ducks

Default Wood Ducks

Can't be that rare...got a couple sitting behind me right now. They like living with me...followed me all the way from Ontario.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Drake

I shot one west of edmonton a few years ago on a small creek near Wabamun lake.....

It was a dream of mine for many years, and i was prepared to travel to states to get a chance at one. Very cool that i managed to track one down in Alberta. And a fully plumed drake none the less......good luck in your search.

Come to think of it a client of ours managed to shoot one over a shallow pond in a pea field a few years ago.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:48 PM
jrs

We get the odd one in the southern river valleys as well. I've only seen them in the spring myself. Very nice looking birds.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Reeves01

I know lots of people that raise them...just thought it would be nice to provide nest boxes for them....if this was a nesting area.

If I ever get enough Pheasants & Quail to raise, I may try the Wood Duck ?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Drake

Hey Reeves.....Where do these people you know get their eggs/ducklings to raise?....i would be very interested in raising a few of these beautiful little birds
Old 03-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Reeves01

Drake

Get hold of the local fish & feathers & ask about the permits & pens required.
If you still want to go forward, contact me via PM & I'll put you in touch with some people in what ever area you are in. I have contacts all over Alberta, Sask & B.C.

Another way to do it....get your permits & pens in place before the Odd & Unusual sale in Innisfail (sp?) this spring, go to sale & try not to buy too much :lol

I don't go to sales. The risk of bringing a disease back & infecting my birds is too high. (bio-security)
So when I want a new species, I deal with one person only.