Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Husqvarna Chain Saw Lemon

Hi.
After the blizzard earlier this week I had a tree and branches to clean up. Thought I'd spring for a new chain saw as my old Poulan was wearing out (has been great for over 10 years, responsible for all my firewood in that time).
Bought a Husqvarna 440 at Canadian Tire ( Yeh, perhaps should have gone to a servicing dealer).
It would not start. Had farmer friends try also to satisfy myself I wasn't missing something.
Called Husqvarna customer service. Probably just a "carburettor adjustment". They gave me a place (within an hour travel) to contact. That place said they did no Husky work. Called and got another contact with same result. Called again and given a ticket number to get back next day. Fourth call, over 10 minutes, to be told they'll call me back when they find a depot to do the adjustment.
Now wasted 2 days and yard is still a mess.
Thinking now to return it and buy a cheap Poulan.
Anybody have thoughts on Husqvarna service?
Old 10-06-2017, 10:12 AM

Don't know if this is true or not (one of those friend of a friend works there stories) but apparently big box retailers like Home Depot and Canadian Tire often get back warranty return / refurbished products.

It's best to pay an extra 5%-10% at an authorized dealer.

Either way - don't know where exactly you are in Southern Alberta so can't recommend a dealer for you.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Can't you just return it to Canadian tire? Don't take no for an answer; return it and go buy one from a dealer.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Return it and buy from a dealer such as EJ Mower or Alberta Forest and Garden. Prices are pretty much the same everywhere. These places will do warranty and or service on the machines. Had great luck with both. (in calgary)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:19 AM

X2 on CT'S junk.. I buy nothing but Stihl authorized dealer.. My case Redcliff home hardware.. I know buy once cry once.. Husky is good not low rate junk from box stores. Return it ..
Old 10-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Those saws are made by poulan. The pro series are a different story. I used to like Husky but have converted to stihl and have had much better luck.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Had a buddy that had the same problem with a Husky from CT. Through his research he figured out that Jusky is just licensing their name for the big box stores like CT and Walmart, etc. They're not true Huskys, they're garbage. There's a reason they cost $500 plus froma dealer and $300 from CT.

Return it and go to a Husky dealer or get a Stihl.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 AM

Also heard this in the bc peace, cdn tire sells the Chinese made husky, dealers sell American made.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM

I did a ton or research this spring on different brands of saws after I returned a refurbished Poulan. The box stores have the cheaply made saws with QC issues. The low end Husky's are basically Poulans. I believe the 300 and 500 series Husky's are the better quality ones.

I ended up buying a Japanese made Echo from The Lawn Mower Hospital and it's been great. It also has a 5 year consumer warranty and was a bit less than a comparable 50cc Stihl.

FYI, even the low to mid range Stihl's are made in China now.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:36 AM

I have had a 440 from CT for 5 years. No issues with mine, I use it all the time.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Banned

Bought a Poulan Pro from CT in the spring.
It's felled quite a bit of wood with no issues so far.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:57 PM

If you buy a Husky ensure the model starts with a 3. If it starts with a 4 it is just a standard consumer saw. Sthil same thing needs a white (not orange) handle. Huge difference in performance, reliability, and price.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:19 PM

Getting a Forestry class saw from Sthil or Husky is best if you want trouble free use for years to come. The Husky saw at CDN Tire or Home Depot are meant for home use and are made for them by 3rd party.
Been hearing that the new Sthil saws with EFI and emissions are having trouble. They run them so lean for emissions that the cylinders are burning out premature. Best to find a good used Forestry saw from a few years ago before the emissions stuff happened.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:05 PM

Canadian tire doesn't carry the same huskavarnas as farm chainsaw stores, different quality, cheap for Canadian tire
Old 10-06-2017, 07:36 PM

I got a new still ms 261 with 16" bar.

Love the power and weight but it dies after a day or two. Been in for warranty and died 2 days later. Works great then just won't start. Use 2 of the 361 with no problem. The 261 is Going back for warranty. Not sure the problem because my staff got it fixed the 1st time at th dealer.

Purchase from an authorized dealer and you'll get treated right I think.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:50 PM

Default Husqvarna Chain Saw

I took the saw back to CT Strathmore. Their mechanics also failed to get it going. Offered me a more expensive one as replacement. It's a 445.
This one does work. Starts promptly and cuts with plenty of power. Busy Thanksgiving weekend upcoming
Still waiting for Husqvarna to get back with a repair station.

I understand some firearms in big stores (eg Bass Pro) are not the same as those at your local gun dealer. Beretta have lesser shotguns.. no extra choke tubes, cardboard box instead of fitted hard case, etc that LGDs don't get.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM

Huakys at Crappy Tire are the cheapo line and yes they only sell the good ones at the landscape, equipment type stores
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 PM

Husqvarna sucks, never had so many problems with a saw.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:30 AM

I got a 45 year old Stihl that is still strong. Best saw I have ever seen. Not a single problem in 45 years.
Maybe check the on off switch, might just be a wire off in shipping ?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:58 AM

I just get my wife really mad at me and lock her in the yard with some trees and a hand saw. 3 cords an hour... depending on level of anger
Old 10-08-2017, 03:13 PM

Just cleared miles of wind sheer pine trees off my trapline with my two 27 year old husky model 61 chain saws. They are running fine after building many log cabins and sawing timber for my sawmill and clearing my small ranch. Never been a better saw manufactured by a young 300 year old Norwegin company.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:19 PM

You'll be way further ahead buying a Pro saw in either Husquvarna or Stihl. My father bought a Stihl 34 in the late 80's early 90's and used it up till last fall. He cuts 2 tandem loads of logs every spring as well as clearing out old fence lines. He bought the saw back in the day for around 700.00 and sold it last fall for 400.00 Only maintenance was change the spark plug twice in 25+ years.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:38 PM

Low-mid range husky's are made by poulan (which is owned by general electric I beleive). They are junk, junk and more junk.

High end husky's are actually made by husky.

I don't buy husky anymore because they sold there low-mid name. And to me it seems many people getting fooled thinking they own a good saw when they don't. I don't like businesses that do BS like this.

Pick up a stihl. They are all made by stihl.

Another option is Jonserd. Decent saws and no one I know who bought one regrets it. They only down side of JOnserd is having a dealer ship close buy for repair and warranty.

Don't buy forestry saws. They are built to be light and easy to rebuild. They aren't made to last a lifetime. They are made to be light and run hard than rebuilt.

Always buy a little bigger than you think you need in a chainsaw. You'll never regret spending a little extra money in a chain saw.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
Low-mid range husky's are made by poulan (which is owned by general electric I beleive). They are junk, junk and more junk.

High end husky's are actually made by husky.

I don't buy husky anymore because they sold there low-mid name. And to me it seems many people getting fooled thinking they own a good saw when they don't. I don't like businesses that do BS like this.

Pick up a stihl. They are all made by stihl.

Another option is Jonserd. Decent saws and no one I know who bought one regrets it. They only down side of JOnserd is having a dealer ship close buy for repair and warranty
Don't buy forestry saws. They are built to be light and easy to rebuild. They aren't made to last a lifetime. They are made to be light and run hard than rebuilt.

Always buy a little bigger than you think you need in a chainsaw. You'll never regret spending a little extra money in a chain saw.
You just have to google Jonsered, Husky, & Poulan to read most of what you typed is not true.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
You just have to google Jonsered, Husky, & Poulan to read most of what you typed is not true.
I didn't google anything. It's what I learned over the last 8 years going through a couple different saws.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I didn't google anything. It's what I learned over the last 8 years going through a couple different saws.
What I'm say is what you claim is made by a certain company is not true. Get your fact correct before spreading BS.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:55 PM

I have had a Husky 55 for probably 10 years or more. Most years it has cut 5 cords or more of firewood and has never missed a beat. Nothing bad to say about mine

And just to confirm Poulan, Jonsered and Husky are all part of the same company.

Quote:
What I'm say is what you claim is made by a certain company is not true. Get your fact correct before spreading BS.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I have had a Husky 55 for probably 10 years or more. Most years it has cut 5 cords or more of firewood and has never missed a beat. Nothing bad to say about mine

And just to confirm Poulan, Jonsered and Husky are all part of the same company.
That is what I implied
Old 10-08-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Which claim I made is BS?
Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Which claim I made is BS?

I should add, the info about lower model huskey's being junk and not made by husky came from a husky dealer.

The info about Sthil all being made by stihl came from a stihl dealer.

The info about forrestry saws came from a stihil dealer who talked me out of buying an expensive forestry saws because I thought they would last me longer because they are for guys who cut all day long every day.

The jonser info came frm guys I know who owned them and some info I read on line.