Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Question Is A CZ 858 the same as a AK 47

I am wondering to my self i looked at a CZ 858 today at the gun show in edmonton and i am kinda DUMB when it comes to these older rifles but i thought it shure looks like an AK 47 i am wondering is the CZ an AK just modifed to be semi auto and renamed the CZ 858 looking for the answer if u guys have it
Old 12-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkynuts View Post
I am wondering to my self i looked at a CZ 858 today at the gun show in edmonton and i am kinda DUMB when it comes to these older rifles but i thought it shure looks like an AK 47 i am wondering is the CZ an AK just modifed to be semi auto and renamed the CZ 858 looking for the answer if u guys have it
Nope, the internal mech. seperates it from the more evil AK varients.
That's why it's a non restricted.

What ever you do don't try to inject any logic in firearms laws.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 AM

No.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 AM

Totally different...just look similar..........sort of.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 AM

When the Czechs first got sucked into the Commie bloc, they had a fairly independent approach to armaments and they came up with the model 58 assault rifle. Tilting breech block as opposed to rotating, striker instead of hammer. I suspect these are built up from original parts on semi auto only receivers and re-named.
Grizz
Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
When the Czechs first got sucked into the Commie bloc, they had a fairly independent approach to armaments and they came up with the model 58 assault rifle. Tilting breech block as opposed to rotating, striker instead of hammer. I suspect these are built up from original parts on semi auto only receivers and re-named.
Grizz
Old 12-07-2009, 07:50 PM

The Cz 858 is essentially the same rifle as the AK-47 when it comes to the astetics, feel and chamber of the rifle. The reason they are nonrestricted is that the mechanism cannot be converted to fire fully automatic and the barrel lengeth. to my knowlege the rifle has capacity to shoot accuratally (pinpoint from what ive heard from other owners and salesmen)up to 300 yards. Never actually done that myself it is an open sighted rifle after all, the ammunition is redaliy available and it's a blast to use and own.

P.S. scope mounts can be bought if hunting or longrange shooting where your intrest.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 PM

the only reason it cant be converted to full auto is because they messed with the design of the receiver. BUT this can also cause problems with the rifle action. the cz 858 is pretty much made out of vz 58 parts but with a "special" receiver made only for semi auto.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:50 PM

And boy do they look cool all pimped out....tacticool. Lot's of options for aftermarket junk. I had one out for a range test a few times, and it ate lots and lots of ammo, and never a hiccup. I think I like it. A lot.